Debugging over netconsole

Hi,

Working on a device that (I think) fits the definition of netconsole .. :slight_smile:. Meaning ... no practical to access the serial port.

Has anyone had any luck getting netconsole working? I have enabled it, and it seems to show up in the logs (below). My netconsole (command line) is below as well .. .but nothing showing up on that machine. I have also tried nc once OpenWrt has booted ... and that works (though it's TCP, not UDP, which surprised me).

[    0.000000] Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2,netconsole=6666@10.10.10.1/eth0,6666@10.10.10.254/d8:eb:xx:xx:xx:xx
[    0.778537] console [netcon0] enabled
[    0.782282] netconsole: network logging started

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi, I also want to use netconsole, to chase sudden reboots. Any success for you to use netconsole ?

I did, but that was a long time ago - I admit, can't recall the exact setup. Sorry!

It's pretty much 'just' down to enabling it in the system tab (/etc/config/system) and configuring where to send the (sys)log - and then running a syslog server on the other end (you can start with testing it via nc/ netcat, formatting will be messed up, but still readable). The big question is just what dies earlier - the network tends to go out quicker than a serial console in the aftermath of a kernel crash (might still be good enough).

1 Like