Ddns setup / confusion

@ grrr2
the reason why i need public hostname point to local IP address for devices on local network is because of DNS split stuff and my router doesnt support nat hair-pining ; so need to do it for now via dnsmasq rules as was written above.

then you are doing it wrong. for any local dns resolution just add domian-local ip mapping in dnsmasq config. ddns will not help with that, and more likely duckdns.org will neither allow a public domain to point to a local ip address.

ddns can only help if you need to map a public domain with a public ip address. if for any reason your wan interface is not showing a publicly routable ip address then you can select in luci-app-ddns advanced settings / ip address source = url and url to detect http://checkip.dyndns.com.

thats how i did it.

we are mixing 2 things ...
1 )
is dns splitting - via dnsmasq config ... thats how i did it

update DNS records of duckdns.org to my Public IP periodically ... which was discussed at the begging of that thread.

and yes thats how i did it at the end of the day via detect http://checkip.dyndns.com
thanks

Did you make such a rule?

HTTP Example:

config redirect
	option target 'DNAT'
	option src 'wan'
	option proto 'tcp'
	option src_dport '80'
	option dest_port '80'
	option src_ip '10.0.1.0/24'
	option name 'REDIRECT_HTTP_LAN'
	option dest_ip '10.0.1.1'
	option dest 'lan'

(You place the packet back in LAN as to use it's firewall rules - this isn't an error.)

not sure what is that?
my provided router doesnt support nat hairpinning so i cant do it "easily' on openwrt.

It's been a month.

I'm not sure if "provided router" and the OpenWrt are the same device.

Nonetheless - this is the "easy" rule you describe needing (i.e. NAT hairpin). Since you don't seem to know what it is, we now know you never made a hairpin rule.

Try and let us know if it works. Don't take a month this time. :smiley:

no, i have ISP provider router (nat) -> openwrt router (nat) and all my conf is done one that openwrt router.

I know what nat hairpin is but i can recall i tried it time ago without success... and after debugging i was told/found out that ISP router doesnt support that .. so even i set it up correctly on openwrt it has issue bc of isp router.