DCHP Client issues

I cant' seem to get my router to connect to my modem. I've used OpenWRT in the past and have never run into the issue and it's kinda baffling me, DHCP seems to be working on the ISP end as I get an IP when plug a windows PC in directly to the modem but my router can't seem to get an IP from my ISP. I've verified that the DCHP clients are running on the router and i get this by running logread -e dhcpc:

Mon May 23 12:49:11 2022 daemon.notice netifd: wan (1630): udhcpc: started, v1.35.0
Mon May 23 12:49:11 2022 daemon.notice netifd: wan (1630): udhcpc: broadcasting discover
Mon May 23 12:49:14 2022 daemon.notice netifd: wan (1630): udhcpc: broadcasting discover
Mon May 23 12:49:17 2022 daemon.notice netifd: wan (1630): udhcpc: broadcasting discover

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using a cable modem? If so, reboot your cable modem (maybe even several times) and then connect your router directly to the cable modem. Do not connect anything else to the cable modem.

The modem will learn the MAC address of the connected equipment and then bind to that. If you connect anything else, you need to reboot the modem to clear that binding and allow a new MAC to be learned.

I tried that, but I can try it again.

Spent all last day trying to get it to connect and now today it finally decides to cooperate, not sure what fixed it but oh well.

Cable ISPs (and fibre, basically anyone using offering plain DHCP without other means of user authentication) love to lock on the first MAC address (your old router's) they get to see from you, for them to accept a different MAC address (~= a new router), the old MAC <-> DHCP lease mapping needs to expire first. How to accomplish this depends on the ISPs configuration, steps might involve:

• just rebooting the (cable-) modem or ONT
  • having to wait (modem and router disconnected/ powered off) an unspecified amount of time for the static DHCP lease to expire, this may range from ~10 minutes over ~an hour to ~several hours/ whole ~night
  • having to phone them to get them to manually deprecate the old mapping
  • even more obscure voodoo.

If the ISP remains uncooperative, it may be easier to bail out and to spoof the old router's WAN MAC for all eternity instead…

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.