Dawn: a decentralized wireless controller

Yeah the good news is that it doesn't seem to be caused by 802.11k/v, nor Dawn.

The bad news is that it seems like a MT7621 issue, however I'm not sure if it's the WiFi or Switch part. I'm assuming switch, as both 2.4 and 5 GHz are inaccessible after it runs into issues

1 Like

The warning could be related to dawn. Sounds like it is requesting beacon reports from a station which already roamed somewhere else. Probably a sanity check before requesting those beacon reports would fix it.

1 Like

Hi !
I installed Dawn on all 3 of my APs with actual release but in Network Overview i see only the local AP.
But on all the i get

Mon Apr 3 13:46:13 2023 daemon.warn dawn: Failed to lookup ID!
Mon Apr 3 13:46:13 2023 daemon.warn dawn: Failed to lookup ID!

When i startup the AP but dawn is still running

Ciao Gerd

OpenWrt 22.03.5
wpad
dawn
i have 2 dumb AP and a router with DHCP

My DAWN config

config local
	option loglevel '0'
config network
	option broadcast_ip '192.168.22.255'
	option broadcast_port '1025'
	option tcp_port '1026'
	option network_option '2'
	option shared_key 'Niiiiiiiiiiiiick'
	option iv 'Niiiiiiiiiiiiick'
	option use_symm_enc '0'
	option collision_domain '-1'
	option bandwidth '-1'
config hostapd
	option hostapd_dir '/var/run/hostapd'
config times
	option con_timeout '60'
	option update_client '2'
	option remove_client '15'
	option remove_probe '30'
	option remove_ap '5'
	option update_hostapd '2'
	option update_tcp_con '2'
	option update_chan_util '2'
	option update_beacon_reports '5'
config metric 'global'
	option min_probe_count '2'
	option bandwidth_threshold '0'
	option use_station_count '0'
	option max_station_diff '1'
	option eval_probe_req '0'
	option eval_auth_req '0'
	option eval_assoc_req '0'
	option kicking '2'
	option kicking_threshold '20'
	option deny_auth_reason '1'
	option deny_assoc_reason '17'
	option min_number_to_kick '2'
	option chan_util_avg_period '3'
	option duration '0'
	option rrm_mode 'tap'
	option set_hostapd_nr '2'
config metric '802_11g'
	option initial_score '100'
	option ht_support '5'
	option vht_support '5'
	option no_ht_support '0'
	option no_vht_support '0'
	option rssi '15'
	option rssi_val '-40'
	option low_rssi_val '-50'
	option low_rssi '-1'
	option chan_util '0'
	option chan_util_val '1'
	option max_chan_util '-1'
	option max_chan_util_val '300'
	option rssi_weight '0'
	option rssi_center '-45'

config metric '802_11a'
	option initial_score '50'
	option ht_support '5'
	option vht_support '5'
	option no_ht_support '0'
	option no_vht_support '0'
	option rssi '15'
	option rssi_val '-60'
	option low_rssi_val '-80'
	option low_rssi '-15'
	option chan_util '0'
	option chan_util_val '140'
	option max_chan_util '-15'
	option max_chan_util_val '170'
	option rssi_weight '0'
	option rssi_center '-70'

.......................................................................................
Connect my Honor 6A (it has 802.11kv but no r The table) to WiFi and stay between the APs in the middle.
kcikcing 2
rssi_center '-45' (setted for stressing testing)

..................................................................................................................................
Question: option max_chan_util_val '140' what are those 140 ? Mb/s?
also what are those ? seconds or milliseconds ?

option con_timeout '60'
	option update_client '2'
	option remove_client '15'
	option remove_probe '30'
	option remove_ap '5'
	option update_hostapd '2'
	option update_tcp_con '2'
	option update_chan_util '2'
	option update_beacon_reports '5'

................................................................................................
so dawn kicks it like hell

But when i connect second smartphone to WIFI it stops kicking , one smartphone goes to AP1 and the other to AP2 and they kinda stick to these APs and DAWN doesn want them to kick
and i disconnect 1 the other switches immediately
So I think there is some kind of balancing working (but kicking is 2)
I need to disable in DAWN any balancing so doesn't matter how current AP is busy
Also when it is kicking smartphone it doesnt kick others clients ,Why

DAWN works normally only with 1 device

@ZebraOnPC what's that app on your screenshot?

1 Like

FTR I rolled out v23.05.0-rc2 across my dumb APs, this is still happening:

Hey @PolynomialDivision, I noticed that some clients appear only once in the hearing map. For example, my OnePlus 10 Pro 5G. It only shows up as “seen” by the AP that it's directly connected to. There are two other APs that don't display it in the hearing map, but they are definitely close and accessible.
If I turn the phone's Wi-Fi on off and on again, it may connect to a different AP from the same location. I can also kick it manually by hitting Disconnect in LUCI, and it then migrates to a different AP or a different radio on the same one. But then, it usually keeps being seen only by the new AP it reconnected to.
Any debugging ideas?

1 Like

that is an old problem i have noticed that too, the funny things all my 3 AP can hear other smartphones that dont even connect to the wireless network, but when a smartphone connected it can see only 2 (last and curent AP) also that last AP not really seeng it just appers for 10 secund but it stack

The app is Wifiman from ubiquity

1 Like

Using DTIM 3 might help Apple devices, but i had worse results with other vendors (samsung, amazon fire, google pixel,...). Now i am back on 2.

Got DAWN working pretty well on my new pair of mesh routers (running 23.05.0-rc2 OpenWrt), but not without some tweaks in addition to following the 'official' setup guide:

1. Followed these proposed changes to the dawn config file, ̶e̶x̶c̶e̶p̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶k̶i̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶'̶3̶'̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶'̶1̶'̶. (Edit: seems keeping kicking at '1' makes kicking less jittery and minimizes the chance of disconnections while transitioning) ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶d̶w̶i̶d̶t̶h̶_̶t̶h̶r̶e̶s̶h̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶'̶6̶'̶. (Edit: setting it at '6' actually means as long as your currently connected AP has a throughput of greater than 6 Mbits/s, regardless of how weak the signal is, no kicking will take place. I have now actually changed the value to '0' to indicate to DAWN that I only want to consider the scores of each AP, and do not take into consideration the throughput of currently connected AP)

2. Per this, I changed duration from the default '0' to '120'.

3. I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶n̶y̶_̶a̶u̶t̶h̶_̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶n̶y̶_̶a̶s̶s̶o̶c̶_̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶'̶0̶'̶.̶

4. I needed to add a startup script to restart umdns each time after booting the routers in order for info on other mesh routers to populate (checking can be done via command line ubus call umdns browse:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 30
/etc/init.d/umdns restart

I needed to do 2, 3, and 4 above before any kicking action is actually observed on my devices. And step 1 above helped with kicking more aggressively and preference to 5G.

1. My Android phone does not like 802.11r turned on. I had to turn off 802.11r before seamless roaming can be achieved. Otherwise when kicking is done, the phone loses wifi for a second before reconnecting to the AP with the stronger signal. 802.11k and v are turned on. With no 802.11r the transition is in theory not as quick but wifi connection is still maintained throughout each transition.

If things go ok for the next few days I will likely add another router of the same model to the mesh.

3 Likes

When dawn 'kicks' a device to another AP, the log says this:

Client xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx: Kicking as no active transmission data for client, and / or limit of 0 is OK.

(this is displayed when you set bandwidth_threshold in dawn's config file to '0')

Does this imply that no kicking will ever take place when there is active data transmission? If so, is there any option to tell dawn to do kicking even when a device is transmitting data?

Case in point: I am watching youtube, and while watching I bring the phone to another area where a better AP is waiting for the device to roam to.

EDIT: Answering my own question - doesn't matter. DAWN sends out bss-transition commands to kick clients around regardless of whether any active data transmission is taking place. (at least when bandwidth_threshold is set to '0')

New user of DAWN here. Try changing the rrm_mode from pat to apt. Works for me.

so if i get this right

after install of dawn (and umdns) the only thing that i should set is

uci set dawn.@network[0].broadcast_ip='172.22.xx.255'
uci commit

172.22.xx being broadcast IP address of my 'LAN' network

If i check settings after

ubus call dawn reload_config

they are not the same on all dawn instances in that network.

Help?

On the Luci App should I see all routers on a Network Map or Hearing Map, so see only active AP?

All.

Check via CLI:

~# ubus call umdns browse

i have multiple network on my openwrt via VLan's having different subnets.
How do i make DAWN work on all of them?
Is there a way to specify multiple "config network" or "broadcast_ip"?
Or does specifying dawn on one network makes it work on all of them?

network config is only for DAWN to speak to eachother.

the data transmited between them is about ALL SSID, AP and such

it works with vlans and ssids.

1 Like

An important commit landed in the umdns project fixing the dawn zeroconf approach:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=project/mdnsd.git;a=commit;h=c286c51a9bd931d023a55988c0e89574ee6d8ffa

Should be included in upcoming OpenWrt 23.05.1 and snapshot builds.

2 Likes

luci-app-dawn was rewritten in javascript:

This should improve performance and sorting is now possible.

3 Likes

Could you explain more (in simple to understand terms) what the bug is, how it affects dawn, and what visible symptoms the bug manifests?

And how critical is it to upgrade to 23.05.2 to get rid of this bug in terms of dawn's functionality?