Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I can't post if I include more than two web addresses, so I'm using "shorthand" in the posts.

The DNS forward under DHCP DNS is correct. For computers connecting to the router, DNS is working fine, and it's correctly using Cloudflare (according to dnsleaktest_dot_com).

The problem seems to only be from the router itself. From nslookup, the router seems to use the DNS server listed in resolv.conf - which are bogus.

In case it's useful info, here's the top of the output for "uci show dhcp"

dhcp.@dnsmasq[0]=dnsmasq
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].domainneeded='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].localise_queries='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].rebind_protection='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].rebind_localhost='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].local='/lan/'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].domain='lan'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].expandhosts='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].authoritative='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].readethers='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].leasefile='/tmp/dhcp.leases'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].noresolv='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].nonwildcard='1'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].server='127.0.0.1#5300'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].serversfile='/tmp/adb_list.overall'
dhcp.@dnsmasq[0].localservice='1'
dhcp.lan=dhcp
dhcp.lan.interface='lan'
dhcp.lan.limit='150'
dhcp.lan.leasetime='12h'
dhcp.lan.start='150'
dhcp.lan.ra='disabled'
dhcp.lan.dhcpv6='disabled'
dhcp.lan.ra_management='1'
dhcp.wan=dhcp
dhcp.wan.interface='wan'
dhcp.wan.ignore='1'
dhcp.odhcpd=odhcpd
dhcp.odhcpd.maindhcp='0'
dhcp.odhcpd.leasefile='/tmp/hosts/odhcpd'
dhcp.odhcpd.leasetrigger='/usr/sbin/odhcpd-update'
dhcp.odhcpd.loglevel='4'

Yeah, that's odd because it should forwarding to dnscrypt proxy which is listening on port 5300.

Try editing /etc/resolv.conf and set the value to 127.0.0.1#5300 and try again.

If that doesn't work, I'm running out of ideas :wink:

Latest status: "opkg update" works (I get Signature check passed.) and I can wget an https page (e.g., google). This is good, of course.

However, if I run (replace . with _):

nslookup https://google_com
Server:         127_0_0_1
Address:        127_0_0_1#53

** server can't find https://google_com: NXDOMAIN
Name:      https://google_com

This seems weird to me. (Same error if I run " nslookup https://google_com 127_0_0_1#5300)

I didn't want to break the link for /etc/resolv.conf, so I set "option peerdns 0" for wan in /etc/config/network (and not setting custom dns server). I didn't realize before that even though nslookup fails, that wget, opkg work.

to run dnscrypt-proxy2.sh script

i'm not in town to test it out ..are command below correct?

cd /tmp
chmod +x dnscrypt-proxy2.sh
./dnscrypt-proxy2.sh

and how do i remove the old dnscrypt-proxy tab from luci Gui?

The script should remove all remnants of the old dnscrypt-proxy. Let me know if it doesn't as I may need to adjust the script.

Thanks for the information. I'll need to check this out tonight as it could be the source of other issues I was unaware of.

Thanks again.

just try it on my dad router and it does not seem to remove the gui,Thank

I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

try this command... opkg remove luci-app-dnscrypt-proxy

David, sorry about asking but I'm afraid to install the latest update since i have activated dnscrypt proxy v2 using your script (which is working perfectly)

Is there anything i need to do after upgrading to the latest version? Just exectute the script again and activate ipv6 in the config? Or do i need to take care of something else before?
I think i read it somewhere here but i cannot find it anymore. Sorry but my girlfriend would kill me about any downtime :wink: THANKS

BTW:
Linksys replaced my second 1900 after talking about 20x times to the hotline (annoying!). Now the reboots are gone. They told me that there has been a faulty series of devices with corrupted memory.

Congratulations on having a router that doesn't reboot :laughing:

Yes, you will need to execute the script again. The best thing to do is to download the script to the /root directory, and then in LuCi go to Backup /Flash Firmware, and then click the "configuration" tab. From there make sure the /root directory is added to the "backup file list", and then you never have to download the script again because it will be there after every upgrade.

After you upgrade just execute the script and that should be it. As for ipv6, you shouldn't have to activate it again after an upgrade, but go ahead and check it to be sure. If something doesn't go right and you want to revert, then in LuCi, just go to Advanced Reboot, and reboot to the previous image and everything will be as it was.

I'm update my rig to 9028 recently via sysupgrade, no issues so far.
But interesting fact - according to the logs, seems like it's now possible to run rootfs from usb/esata attached drive, not only from MTD. Let me check it deeper, it's good for experiments/recover.

Such a mistake, what to do, how to fix it?

Thu Jan 17 12:58:53 2019 daemon.err miniupnpd[8410]: Failed to convert hostname '1111::210:20ff:fe30:4050' to ip address
Thu Jan 17 12:58:53 2019 daemon.err miniupnpd[8410]: Failed to convert hostname '1111::210:20ff:fe30:4050' to ip address

Gurus,

I have switched to AC on my WRT 1900 ACS just now ( due to distance limitations, I was stuck on 802.11n ) , and I'm very dissapointed with the speed I'm getting ...

This are my wireless settings

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option country 'US'
        option legacy_rates '1'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option noscan '1'
        option bursting '1'
        option ff '1'
        option compression '1'
        option txpower '20'
        option channel 'auto'
        option __toggle 'Enable'

The router is just 4 meters from the notebook I'm using, with no brick walls in between, just one of those "soft walls" that are hollow ...

Testing with IPERF3 -s on the router, I'm just getting 110 mbps / 16 mbps ...

Any ideas?

It doesn't always matter the distance or what's in-between when it comes to Wifi (Within reason of course).

Download a wifi analyzer, to your phone, and look to see how many wifi SSIDs are using the same channel/with width. People generally have a lot more issues with interference and never know it.

I need to upload a screen shot of competing signals in my neighborhood... It's almost comical and sad at the same time.

EDIT

Unfortunately, everyone is using 80Mhz widths now, which means there are only 2 Non DFS channels on 5Ghz AC. Either the channel is going to be at the high or low end of the 5Ghz spectrum.

@davidc502 Loving your firmware, slowly getting everything setup nicely.

I am running on a WRT32x without issues however i have noticed that restoring a backup doesn't restore everything and brings back crud that was removed before the backup was even made, for example dnscrypt v1, or themes are no longer there. New to OpenWRT

The other question is i am running the partitions in

boot_part 1 = Stock
boot_part 2 = OpenWRT

is there anyway to update the firmware from R8810 to the latest version you have built without erasing the stock firmware?

Thanks for any reply.

Before posting, I tried several channels manually, and now I'm on "auto" ... and the signal is -85 / -84 dBm to my notebook , which sucks. I thought even with such an ammount of interference the speed would be better. But you're right, I'll do the network analysis.

Any tool for windows that's free that you would recommend? I used one that had a trial but expired already...

You could try WiFi Commander : https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/wifi-commander-3d-analyze-monitor/9nblggh20fr1#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I use that or there is inSSIDer / Vistumbler or Meraki WiFi Stumbler (Google is your friend on this)

@davidc502 , something weird is going on ... I selected 80 Mhz in Luci, and in the wireless config I can see

option htmode 'VHT80'

But LUCI will only allow me to select 20Mhz channels in the dropdown list ... i tried forcing an 80 mhz channel like 42, 58, 106, 122, 138, 155 , but the interface fails to come online (

[ 6742.820433] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[ 6742.827923] br-lan: port 3(wlan0) entered blocking state
[ 6742.833299] br-lan: port 3(wlan0) entered disabled state
[ 6742.838850] device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
[ 6742.843630] ieee80211 phy1: change: 0x40
[ 6742.881118] device wlan0 left promiscuous mode
[ 6742.885663] br-lan: port 3(wlan0) entered disabled state

Have you tried VHT80 on channel 36 / 40 / 44 / 48 as these are no DFS channels.
Just a though like.

2 Likes

Man, you're a genius! It worked .... Now I'm at 173/55 mbits (from 110/16 before) on channel 48 ... still not 500 tough :slight_smile: , I suppose because channel 48 is a 20 mhz channel? Why can't I use the 40 , or 80, or even 160 mhz channels?

EDIT: Switching to Channel 36 took me to 205/50 mbps !

The software that you recommended is just awesome! For those of you that have never seen it, it just looks gorgeous ... and IS useful :slight_smile:

wifi