Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there is an "NZ" version of the WRT3200ACM. Therefore, you're setting a country code that it doesn't recognise and causing it to fail on DFS.

Try setting it back to its original country as per SKU and see if that resolves the issue, then we can work from there.

Will post once nobody is using the internet. Thanks.

Yes. It's ones with the highest power level available around. Router is APAC version.

I don’t recognise that as a valid version.
What is the output of

strings /dev/mtd3|sed -ne 's/^cert_region=//p'

The valid options (as far as the firmware is concerned) are:

{"US", 0x10}, /* US FCC */
	{"CA", 0x20}, /* Canada */
	{"FR", 0x30}, /* France */
	{"ES", 0x31}, /* Spain  */
	{"FR", 0x32}, /* France */
	{"JP", 0x40}, /* Japan  */
	{"TW", 0x80}, /* Taiwan */
	{"AU", 0x81}, /* Australia */
	{"CN", 0x90}, /* China (Asia) */

I note from your previous postings that you are trying to mod mwlwifi to allow setting of any country code. If this is still what you’re trying to do, I don’t see any point in us trying to assist as the issue could be entirely man made.

Hi David,
Maybe your SSH is configured differently than mine, because when I use it, the CPU is maxed out. Mine does getting about the same rate as yours (32MB/s). I'm thinking that with hardware acceleration, I should be able to about double that. I'm trying to use it mostly as LAN storage, so that's why the speed matters.

Could you use the verbose option, -v, on your ssh client to tell me which cipher you are connecting with? Are you using openssh for your ssh server or something else? Any other related packages installed or configuration changes? I'm wondering why mine is CPU bound and yours isn't.

Hey @Jacob

If SSH from LAN to the Internet OR where there's a port forward rule on the router and SSH from the Internet to LAN, there shouldn't be a CPU limitation.

Are you using SSH (SCP) to do data transfers directly to the router that is connected to a drive of some sort? Well, you did say "LAN Storage", so I'm assuming you have a port forward rule on the router where SSH gets forwarded to a Storage server?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but the only reason why this would be CPU bound is if the router was doing the encryption/decryption.

The example I gave you, I simply SCP'd a large file from my Storage server, located on my LAN, to a server on the Internet.

1 Like

Same with latest Gargoyle beta which is also Lede based, forgot to record the logs, anyway going to give up this router for a while.

Ohshi.... US only. I will have some questions to the seller.... But first will try what i have at Linksys firmware.

BTW, iw reg get shows US as a country as well. So let me try without NZ....

Yes, i working with mwlwifi fork, but this issue happened with unchanged one from David's release.

UPD: I try with US country code - it's the same. DFS have an error and disable adapter.

Try using channel 100 rather than 104.
But yes stick with country code US as it will cause less issues. And I’m sure we can get this sorted.

Hi all,

My log files are full with the following entries repeating:
System log:

daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: authenticated
daemon.info hostapd: wlan1: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-POSSIBLE-PSK-MISMATCH xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ern.debug kernel: [139822.881438] ieee80211 phy1: staid 4 deleted

Kernel log:

[139853.655460] ieee80211 phy1: staid 4 deleted

I do get connection drop outs on my cabled PC but I'm not sure if it's related. Does anyone know what the above might be? Thanks.

If i remember right i did had a similar problem when i changed the default country code... In my case it's FR as my WRT3200ACM is EU version. At the end my device/config was so messed up that only a reset to factory default helped.
Anyway DFS is working completly fine for me... The only thing that bothers me is that once the DFS channel changes to another one the channel will not change back to the old (best one) but i guess it was implemented like this... :confused:

Btw i never saw the following options:

option mu_beamformer '1'
option su_beamformer '1'

Should i add this to my 5Ghz Wifi config? Does it give you any advantage at 5Ghz and do you also have it at your 2.4Ghz interface config?
I'm using the Linksys High Gain Antennas ( WRT004ANT)...

David,
Maybe that is the confusing. I'm talking about using OpenWRT on WRT1200AC as my storage server. So I have USB attached to my WRT1200AC, and I use rsync/sshfs/etc for transfering files from/to it.

I thought that might be the case. Have you tried dropbear vs. openssh? I'm thinking they probably perform similarly.

I'm not aware of hardware acceleration for ssh, but there very well may be a project out there for it.

From what I can tell, OpenSSH could use hardware acceleration because it uses OpenSSL which already supports it when you are using the correct engine, but later versions of OpenSSH force the UsePrivilegeSeparation option to "sandbox", and the "sandbox" prevents connecting to the /dev/crypto making it impossible to use hardware acceleration. I'm not sure if that is 100% true, but that is the best assumption I can make from the information I found while trying to get this to work.

@davidc502 , Could point to me to documentation on how I can build the packages myself? I want to try building an older version of OpenSSH where the UsePrivilegeSeparation variable is configurable. It's been over a decade since I've built packages for OpenWRT, and it's probably changed since I've done it anyways.

Here is a quick build guide... I recommend choosing a particular image for your hardware in the "make menuconfig". Also you can search for any and all packages within "Make menuconfig" by "/ enter"

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/quickstart-build-images

I'm experiencing a weird problem... If my modem loses connection my WRT3200ACM@ build r8082 will keep the pppoe connection alive and doesn't establish a new connection when my DSL connection is up again.
This will result in no internet access and i have to manualy reconnect the pppoe-wan interface in order to recieve a new valid IP address via pppoe.
I'm pretty sure that i didn't had this problem before and i dont know how to fix it.

Any ideas why this happens and why my WRT3200 doesn't terminate the pppoe connection anymore if the DSL connection is down?

edit: adding option keepalive '10 5' under config interface 'wan' seems to fixed the problem.
But I wonder what this didn't happen with earlier builds...

beamformer/beamformee is a technology to use antenna grid power distribution for best signal level. Beamformee doesn't works well for Linksys we have (at least then i try it last time), but beamformer really helps, especially if the station is far away from router. And yes, it's for 5GHz only.
PS: I'm using Aperit 9db multi-frequency antennas. Helps a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for the infos. I'll add these options to my 5Ghz config...

Self promotion :slight_smile:

I also wonder why don't you use nfs/samba if you need a storage server for your LAN, rsync/sshfs seems strange for this use case?

Also if you want to sync stuff, there is a PR for syncthing.

PS: I also use a WRT1200AC and on the esata port i get 100MB/s via LAN-cable @40% CPU usage on samba4 from a Windows 10 client.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Andy. In openwrt-package-builder, is the "config.txt" file that is required the same as this file https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/releases/config.seed ? If not, where can I find a good example.

To answer why I want to use ssh instead of samba or ftp, I answered this previously in my first post, but to make it short, I just want one server that I can expose that does everything I need with the same public/private keys.

Thanks for sharing the throughput of your ESATA via samba4. I'm hoping I can get performance near that with SSH.