Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I do on both of the wifi interfaces.

This option made a mess at Atheros chipsets, need to be disabled there. But for ours, it's works without issues.

1 Like

@davidc502

I update my 3200 to the latest version. Well.... welcome back to DD-WRT LIBHELL times.
Latest stable Transmission requires libevent2 2.0.x, but you repo installs 2.1.x instead - i think it's the source of the problem you can't build it as well.
Samba4 is acting strange too (OMG! Windows notation for share paths!), but i can make it working - but it's about 15% slower, then Samba3.

Didn't test 160MHz wifi yet, let me check.

1 Like

Is there any advantage using Samba4?

Visible one is the support of MacOS/TimeMachine, but i don't use any mac here.

David: Just to close or suspend my issue from 10 days ago. I haven't found any better solution to the issue and for now, am using the OpenDNS servers as the fallback in the dnscrypt and DHCP settings.

1 Like

Assuming that the lib is backward compatible.
Have you tried adding a symlink, pointing to the installed lib?

This has helped me in similar situations.

ln -s /usr/lib/libevent-2.1.x.so /usr/lib/libevent-2.0.x.so

Hi David,
Any chance for adding VPN Bypass to firmware?

VPN Policy-Based Routing would be more usefull imho.

They are not compatible, so i just roll back to 2.0

@all
So, i going deeper, and meet some other issues:

• 160MHz channels still don't works - adapter falls into disabled state.
  • There are mess in routing configuration after reboot - if you have LAN gateway configured, after reboot system will use it as a default gateway, instead of WAN ones. So internet access down, but returning back after WAN interface restart. You should remove LAN gateway or make it higher metric.
  • Samba4 is acting crazy. f.e. you can't access it by name, only by full domain name (DNS? How DNS is connected to Samba shares?). Now i even can't access it using IP.... Weird.

Should not happen, check if the wsdd2 package is installed/started for Windows8+ or the Avahi package for Linux, macOS. The shares should be visible by name in explorer, filemanager.

PS: Samba4 should be as fast or faster than samba3, assuming the same config. The downside is that its 4 times larger and consumes more memory.

1 Like

Yes and no. Seems like it's a S4 bug.
I'm assign hostname in Samba, and yes, it's visible in network from Windows.
But you can't connect it - "Network path not found".
Instead, you can connect to FULL router name, including domain defined for it.

So, seems like it make announcement for hostname only, but can only use full name/IP at connection time. Bug.

Ok so you are a member of a domain, not just dns suffix and than it does not work? Can you try what happens if you use the exact same setup, with a workgroup? Maybe its a bug in wsdd2 not properly checking domain names.

We have a little mess here, let me explain.

1. Router have internet domain name, visible from any DNS, including local one. Let's say router.some.where
  2. Samba configured to name AND workgroup, f.e. name is ROUTER and workgroup MYHOME.
  3. From Windows client, host ROUTER visible in workgroup MYHOME, but try to browse it bring error 0x80070035 "Network path not found".
  4. Instead, Samba can be accesible using both IP address, and router DNS name - so \ROUTER.SOME.WHERE is working as well.

wsdd2 works at router, no errors in log.

Yay, i finally could reproduce this hostname/netbios name "error 0x80070035" !

Yes it seems you can't just freely use any netbios name anymore and it has to match the actual hostname, working on a fix!

PS: Now that i think about it, this makes sense since we don't use netbios anymore and wsd is dns based :man_facepalming: .

Hi @davidc502, just upgraded my WRT32X to r8082 and it's all looking peachy. Thanks as always :+1:t2:

Quick question: if I'm not doing any file sharing from my WRT32X (I've uninstalled the samba and wsdd2 packages) is there any point in having the avahi package installed and running?

If you don't have any other services depending on it no, you can uninstall it. Samba4 uses it so Linux, macOS, Android clients can find the shares.

2 Likes

@T-Troll ok, i fixed the naming issue and now samba4 always uses the full hostname as service name. This was a oversight while changing from netbios to wsd based discovery, thanks for reporting.

1 Like

Thumbs up!

Glad to help you!