Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Soon after Brainslayer disabled CPU_Idle a lot of people on the DD-WRT Forum started posting about significantly higher CPU temps. Some even saw a 30°C increase.
I did some research and posted the findings to ease the concern:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315854

I did also find a Benchmark test that showed temperature did affect CPU performance (slightly), but these were Intel processors.

I don't think it's really necessary to add a fan. Even if the router's life or performance is increased it's unnoticeable.

I'm still running mine though :sunglasses:

1 Like

Heh, thanks for the niece piece of research which shows that I don't need to do what you are doing (running a fan) :slight_smile:

Afaik CPU-Idle was disabled in OpenWRT and davids builds a long time ago...

My temps with the WRT3200ACM:

I hope that these Temps are okay... :confused:

Hi David,

I disabled the igmpproxy service and now I don't see those errors in my logfile. I have been getting router reboots periodically ever since I updated to the latest version you posted on 26/8 (kernel 4.4.66). Reverting back to the previous version (kernel 4.14.62)has stopped the reboots though. I thought you'd like to know seeing as I saw another user having similar issues.

Those temps are well within normal as per Marvell.

The OpenWrt developers discovered that CPU_Idle was causing the reboots on the WRT1900AC v1 some time ago.
It wasn't until I started using DavidC's builds on my WRT32X that I noticed since he was kind enough to put that information on his home page.
I passed that on to Brainslayer (DD-WRT developer) who then disabled it in DD-WRT on June 19, 2018.

1 Like

Do you own the V1? If you get a chance, use the advanced reboot to go back to 4.14.66, and see if you can capture the logs when it reboots.

Yes, I believe one other person has been getting reboots.

Your ambient temps play a big role in how high your cpu temps climb. What are your ambient room temps where you keep your router? My room temps are 26C and my wrt3200 cpu temps are usually around 75C without active cooling.

At the time i made the screenshot it was about 24C and my WRT3200ACM is sadly sitting in a shelf with some other devices (switch + voip adapter).
Not the best place (temperature wise) but at the moment i have no other place for it.

armada_thermal-virtual-0 - temp1 = CPU temp?

no, mine's a v2.

one more thng, I've been seeing a certificate error in dnscrypt-proxy.

dnscrypt-proxy Refetching server certificates
Thu Sep 6 08:27:47 2018 daemon.info dnscrypt-proxy[5361]: dnscrypt-proxy Server certificate with serial #1536187174 received
Thu Sep 6 08:27:47 2018 daemon.info dnscrypt-proxy[5361]: dnscrypt-proxy This certificate has expired
Thu Sep 6 08:27:47 2018 daemon.err dnscrypt-proxy[5361]: dnscrypt-proxy No useable certificates found

my log is full of these errors, it seems the cert expiry time is too short when a new cert is generated.

I'm looking at my System Log, and seeing the following error messages every 5 minutes or so:

Wed Sep  5 18:14:01 2018 daemon.warn odhcpd[2497]: DHCPV6 RENEW IA_NA from 00010001223b12edb827ebed7035 on br-lan: ok 2605:e000:1301:c588::94/128 fd21:457a:9064::94/128
Wed Sep  5 18:14:02 2018 daemon.err modprobe: xt_set is already loaded
Wed Sep  5 18:14:02 2018 daemon.err modprobe: ip_set is already loaded
Wed Sep  5 18:14:02 2018 daemon.err modprobe: ip_set_hash_ip is already loaded

Granted the first one is a warning, but it comes along for the ride. Any advice for what this is and how I should address it? Doesn't affect my performance in any way I can tell, but it also seems like I shouldn't have this issue.

Thanks

so restarting dnscrypt-proxy gives me this:

Thu Sep  6 10:11:03 2018 daemon.notice dnscrypt-proxy[7037]: dnscrypt-proxy Starting dnscrypt-proxy 1.9.5
Thu Sep  6 10:11:03 2018 daemon.info dnscrypt-proxy[7037]: dnscrypt-proxy Generating a new session key pair
Thu Sep  6 10:11:03 2018 daemon.info dnscrypt-proxy[7037]: dnscrypt-proxy Done
Thu Sep  6 10:11:03 2018 daemon.info dnscrypt-proxy[7037]: dnscrypt-proxy Server certificate with serial #1536193775 received
Thu Sep  6 10:11:03 2018 daemon.info dnscrypt-proxy[7037]: dnscrypt-proxy This certificate has expired
Thu Sep  6 10:11:03 2018 daemon.err dnscrypt-proxy[7037]: dnscrypt-proxy No useable certificates found

what gives?

That means the dnscrypt server you've configured is misconfigured / not up to date.

You need to select a different server. Alternatively, you can move to v2 and use cloudflare if you're into that sort of thing.

whats strange is that's how it was right from the start..

I removed dnscrypt-proxy and dnscrypt-proxy-resolvers, it seems to be working now.
I will attempt updating to v2

The default server configured on my router had the same issue, so that's not really strange.

Edit: if you meant strange as in why your DNS was still working despite that, that's because it's not configured to act as your external DNS resolver by default, but it stills runs regardless.

what was strange was that my dns queries would work initially, but once I started getting the cert error, dns queries from LAN would start to fail and then lead to no dns queries at all from clients on my LAN network.

v2 seems to be up and running now, although I don't see the service in Luci.

Just got an RMA for my wrt32x due to slow wifi speeds. I have accepted their offer of a new 3200acm router. I am guessing that it will be the new version of the 3200acm though with the winbond chips. David, do you know when this build will support the winbond chips, or does it already?

Winbond support was added some time ago - so no issues there...

1 Like

fantastic, I did try looking through the thread and couldn't see anything mentioned. I just hope that my new router will not have the same issues as the WRT32x that I had before.

For those on dnscrypt-proxy Version 1 -- I highly recommend migrating to version 2 as version 1 hasn't been changed/updated it quite some time. There's a script on the website that makes this transition to version 2 very easy. The only problem or pain is having to run the script every time the router is upgraded.

Just throw the script into the /root directory, and it will be there in the next upgrade provided configurations are saved.

Do you plan on making v2 part of the (your) standard build?