Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I'm currently running r12235 / kernel 4.19.101 of David's build, but unfortunately I don't have time to follow the developments in this thread very often, so I usually just visit his site every few months and upgrade to the latest build (mainly just for security reasons).

I just went to his site after not upgrading for quite some time and read his notice advising that there won't be any new builds for the time being. So, I'm wondering what I should 'upgrade' to - the last Davidc builds are from May of this year - would it still be OK to use this version, several months on? Or are there any other community builds which would be preferable? I saw some mentions of a 'SuperWRT' build? Or would the latest official OpenWRT 19.07.4 release be the best choice?

Just run the final davidc502 build. Comes with Linux kernel 5.4.x and is rock solid for me. At least until OpenWrt does a 20.x build (if they actually do) then re-evaluate.

3 Likes

Nice build, no issues, but dragons living in update process - read thread about it and DO NOT keep configuration.

1 Like

Thanks for the warning - is there a guide anywhere on how to safely upgrade?

Check up this thread, we have a discussion about it close to firmware release date.

Basicaly, you should NOT keep the configuration.

If you made backup - you need to delete 2 hardware-related files from it before restore backup. Or set all options again manually.

1 Like

I tried the SuperWRT build dated October 11 on my WRT3200ACM and it was a disaster, with random loss of Internet connectivity (not wireless connectivity, just Internet) on multiple devices. I went back to the latest davidc502 build and it has been reliable. I haven't yet tried the latest 19.07.4 build.

Hello all,

@HaiKarate Let me say that I can't believe what you're saying, I just want to tell you an idea!
It depends on how you did the update, if you kept the settings from the old version of OpenWrt you might have some problems, so far I have not heard anyone have interruptions on the wire...
Try to write on the first partition the original software from Linksys and from there go to superwrt/openwrt kernel 5.4.70 on the second partition once again...
If there are still issues on the wire side you should report those issues on the forum....

Notes for someones who's trying to configure a OBihai ATA using OpenWRT.
For ATAs to remain registered adjust your router UDP setting.
In OpenWRT “/etc/sysctl.conf” add:
net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_udp_timeout=17
net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream=117

Hi, I originally had the Linksys firmware on one partition and the davidc502 build of OpenWrt on the other. I switched back to the Linksys firmware and flashed the factory upgrade image of the SuperWRT build over the davidc502 build. I was under the impression that davidc502's build was swconfig-based while SuperWRT is DSA-based, so I didn't expect to keep any settings. When I got into the SuperWRT build I reset all settings to default to be sure there was nothing retained and then set it up from scratch but using exactly the same settings I used with the davidc502 build.

I have a couple dozen devices using the WiFi and the loss of Internet (once again, not WiFi, just Internet) was experienced on more than one type of device. The only way to get the Internet access back was to disconnect and reconnect the WiFi.

I have to admit and I encountered some problems on the wifi side with the latest version, I chose the GB country and I chose channel 48, 44.40 everything seems fine now, at the moment I think the latest wifi drive version has some problems...
I understood that you had problems on the wire side, I apologise for the misunderstanding...
It was good if you also posted the problems that appear in System Log....

@shuttleman58
OK. Despite your cross/duplicate posts over the last month, nobody else has deigned respond to you. I was the only person to give you ANY advice. Believe me. Had I given you bad advice, it would have been corrected promptly by the community.

You're using a Davidc build from roughly two years ago, so yes there will be anomalies. Software/hardware/firmware is a constantly changing, adapting, evolving animal. Couple that with your specific configuration and nobody can predict your specific outcome over an upgrade.

To that end, I gave you good generic advice, as does @T-Troll and @Phinn a few posts down from your last post.

So, let me take you by the hand:

1. Download David's latest build.

2. Take a backup of your currently running config.

3. Make sure you're running on your current setup and FLASH David's image (de-select Save Config) to your alternate partition and Login to LuCI on 192.168.1.1 when it reboots. You need to be connected via ethernet.

4. Goto System/Software, Update Lists, and install your specific packages.

5. Goto LuCI Backup/Flash Firmware and Generate another archive of the new stock config.

5 Goto LuCI Advance Reboot and select Reboot To Alternate Partition - aka your currently working setup. Back where you started.

Now the fun begins. You have a choice.

You can follow my original advice and dump those two files from your old config backup (they are generated for the build and in any event are NOT something you should be modding anyway.

Advanced Reboot back to your newly flashed partition and Restore your modified old config. If you cross your fingers the right way, your new image should work with minimal issues.

OR

Do you want as few surprises as possible? That takes a bit more work.

In your current build, diff each matching config file from both old and new backups and reconcile old to new. Pack it up and reboot to your new install and restore it.

If you run into problems, you can always Advanced Reboot back to your old install and seek further help here.

2 Likes

@oli

Setting wireless regdomain to a different country than the one you're using the device in breaks the law.

nitroshift

2 Likes

Where are you ?

... In some countries only. Other are more tolerate.

Bump to 5.9.1

nitroshift

2 Likes

In countries regulating EIRP standards it means it’s illegal. You’re not that likely to get caught but you’ll end up with a hefty fine or worse if you are found out.

Many devices keep to the legal limits and some devices are locked to a specific region so it could be that you can only select European countries as an example.

Hey! nice theme, which is it? Thanks!

It's OpenWRT 2020 theme, but I only wanted to show the kernel version.

nitroshift

1 Like

Aye, COUNTRY EIRP standards, not FCC directions. Feel the difference.
Changing country code can or can't violate them. But the fact isn't a crime by itself.

Kernel 5.9 woa impressive. Sadly here we are late 2020 not even having an OpenWrt 20.x release with a stable 5.4 LTS kernel :slight_smile: