Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

That looks like a fine SBC for use, just looking at the specs of it now. The fact that you can upgrade the ram is sweet.

I'm looking for one as well. Please let us know if you find one...

nlbwmon?

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1900ACSv2 router running on snapshot v9133 (kernel 4.14.95), as it's been a while since I installed this build (and have had no problems with it) I was wondering if there was any reason (security or otherwise) I need to upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

Thanks for any advice.

There have been updates since the end of January/February 2019. Dealing with Wifi drivers ??? No

Depending on your particular situation I could go either way.

yeah, I'm an "if it aint broke" person...so if there are no security vulnerabilities then I'm inclined to leave it as it is

do you post anything on your website when a new version comes out that fixes specific vulnerabilities?

You can check the CVE list from whatever the date is of your current image.

1 Like

Thanks, I'm testing this package at the moment!

Hello @davidc502
I am currently running Kernel 4.19.66 build r10851 on my linksys wrt32x. Last night I upgraded to the latest one from https://dc502wrt.org/releases/
As you know the wrt32x has a dual boot. At first I flashed the .bin file from within openwrt but then I realized that it only flashed it over the stock firmware on the other partition instead of upgrading the current one that I was running. Is this expected? or did I go about it the wrong way?

Any way, I ended up restoring the stock rom and flashed the latest *.img file from this link https://dc502wrt.org/releases/ instead of flashing the *.bin file.

When I did this, I restored my previous configurations successfully but non of my clients are able to connect to the internet. They just connect to the wifi but now internet. This is also true for wired connected devices through RJ45.

Any advice on the above two issues?

One last question: Does the latest firmware include the latest dnscrypt-proxy V2? or do I have to install it once I flash the update firmware?

Thanks

Correct, flashing in place is not supported, as it will always flash the other partition. If using the .bin to flash over stock firmware, it will not work as you must use the .img.

dnscrypt-proxy2 is available, but not 'baked' in. So, you must un-install luci-app-dnscrypt-proxy, and dnscrypt-proxy version 1, before installing version 2. I'm counting on having Version 2 built in either in this weekends build or the next build.

So, have you flashed again to get the router working or still stuck?

Thanks @davidc502.

I just re-flashed the latest build and it is still the same so i reverted back to build r10851 since it is working well for me.
Here my observations:

1. Clients connect fine to the wifi but it is limited and without internet.
  2. when i try to open a website the address never gets resolved and the browser keeps displaying the message at the bottom toolbar "looking up www.website.com" until it fails
  3. It seems that somewhere in the settings there is a DNS that the router is using but it is not resolving anything
  4. I noticed that the STOP button for the WAN and WAN6 interfaces are greyed out even if I restart these two interface the STOP button is still deactivated.
  5. Under NETWORK -> DHCP and DNS, the DNS forward has a value of 127.0.0.1#5353 and another one for pool.ntp.org/8.8.8.8.
    I tried deleting these two DNS forward addresses and it did not help.

I'm using Davidc502 baked firmwares with a WRT3200ACM since the LEDE era, and now with OpenWRT. I updated usually every month for over two years, but I was not able to update for 198 days now.
My current firmware is "Lede SNAPSHOT r8614-78ca6a5578 / LuCI Master (git-18.333.34665-4f2b80e)", kernel 4.14.82.

Few years ago when I bought this router I performed the flash procedure with the "factory" image, and then after that I always downloaded the latest "openwrt-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt3200acm-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" - sysupgrade. I'd just go into the System > Backup / Flash Firmware in LuCI, and at the bottom you have the "Flash new firmware image", I select the bin file and Flash. The last 198 days I tried at least 6-7 times periodically, but when the router supposed to reboot, it just gets back into the current state and don't upgrade, don't reboot.

What could be wrong?

Here is a pastebin from the syslog: https://pastebin.com/gevkqXnv
Can this be this dropbear message? I cannot find other detailed log which could be telling.

Did anyone have similar issues? Any pointers for the solution welcome.

Did you at one time have a 1900ac V1/V2? Or have you always owned the 3200ACM?

Sounds to me like the 3200acm has a configuration for an older hardware model, and that's why it doesn't automatically go over to the other partition. The work around is to flash, and then when the router comes up, just use the Power On/Off sequence to boot over to the other partition manually.

I can't remember where I put the instructions, but I used to have them to fix the 3200acm if it got another hardware configuration where it would not boot over to the other partition.

I'd suggest the following:

In SSH enter the following–

1. Get the current partition
    /usr/sbin/fw_printenv -n boot_part

2. Using the value from "1." replace # with the other partition label. Linksys WRT AC routers have two partitions labelled 1 and 2. If the value from "1." is 1, then replace # with 2 in the command below.
    /usr/sbin/fw_setenv boot_part #

3. Reboot as soon as possible
    reboot

I highly suggest that users should read this when troubleshooting issues with their hardware (and not OS).

1 Like

I have the same issue before, then i got wrong fw config at /etc/fw_env.config
You should have

/dev/mtd1 0x0 0x20000 0x20000

for 3200ACM, check it.

1 Like

Thanks.. that's what I was looking for.

@tocsa

edit Note to self.. Write it down this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
perhaps this would have been the right Thread to post my wifi issue with the wrt32x.
Could someone who is familiar with the Davidc502 build for the wrt32x check out this issue please?

And thank you for your firmware @davidc502.

Thanks for the advice T-Troll, I checked my fw_env.config and it looks as you cited. So I'll have to follow Davidc502's advice.

1 Like

Well, I'm thinking about ripping off the band-aid for dnscrypt-proxy 2. Just finished a build and upgraded, and dns is still working fine. The caveat is the configuration file is in a different directory. I did get the configuration change (thanks @solidus1983) to make it use the configuration file in the old directory, but would be non standard.

I'll probably upload the new build in the morning with dnscrypt-proxy 2 baked in.

1 Like

Just FYI.

Let me share my experience about 160MHz channels in this firmware.

First... In general it works well, but with some tricks and limitation. Speed are very nice, i have around 60MBps reading stream from Samba.

But:

1. Selecting RIGHT channel is a trick - you should experiment yourself to find right one - and forget about manuals, it can be done even at low channels. If station not start - try different channel number. Keep you eye at the system log, sometimes it can't start because of WPA_SUPPLICANT exception, restart router in this case.
  2. Selecting 160MHz channel make wifi incompatible with some 80MHz-only adapters, they can't connect anymore. In my case i got this with Killer 1535 one. Intel and Quallcomm (android phones) works well.

Conclusion: Yes, 160MHz supported, so you can use it if have no heavy interference at 5GHz and all you gear compatible.