Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I use your builds but removed dnscrypt on install - will my current config work fine if I remove dnscrypt v2?

Using dnscrypt-proxy v2

1 Like

Yes, it should still work just fine for you.

I’d ideally like to get dnscrypt running but I have 2 vlans and a vpn running on one of them I’m not sure it’d work so well

Thanks @davidc502

I did the following.
Flash new update with keep settings on.
Installed dnscrypt v2 script
before update I made a list with my packages which I installed later.

Only problem was that I got an error a couple of times in which the installed told me that ex. /etc/config/"randompackage" settings exist I'll make a new one with the name /etc/config/"randompackage-opkg"
This had as a result loosing my configs on those applications.

Just to know for future reference, if I replace opkg install "randompackage" with opkg install --force-maintainer "randompackage" will this keep my settings instead of place new ones?

Regarding your question, of course dnscrypt v2

Might be worth the while as dnscrypt be still works well with adblock which just updated to 3.8m5 on master branch.

dnscryptV2 installed via your script ---> all good
I also installed stubby that works also well as an alternative solution - just adjust the right address in dhcp 127.0.0.1#5453

What were those packages? It shouldn't over-write, but instead rename.

As an aside, I'd been running dnscrypt v2 and Adblock together for a while but wanted better reporting, so I ran up a pi-hole docker instance to experiment with. The UI is really neat and all the graphs are lovely, but even with a boat-load of additional block lists added I don't find it blocks stuff as well as Adblock does.

Back to adblock :+1:

1 Like

Sadly Adblock and/or Pi-Hole doesn't make a local adblocker obsolete...
And a Adblocker inside your Router can also be responsible for errors in some cases... For example I had to whitelist "s.amazon-adsystem.com" to make the Windows Twitch App working again and I had some connection errors with several Online support chats because of Adblock in OpenWRT.

The UI is really neat and all the graphs are lovely

I would love to have those Graphs with Adblock in OpenWRT. I think it would also help to debug some errors (e.g. Whitelist)...

Anyway dnscrypt v2 + Adblock is a lovely combo and I don't want to miss it again.
+1 for making dnscrypt proxy v2 default and get rid of v1!

Indeed, I still run uBlock Origin on all my Macs and 1Blocker X on my iOS devices. Belt and braces does the trick, and means I still have a lot of blocking in place when I'm off my network.

2 Likes

Same here. I found out that the Adblocker in OpenWRT is really great for some non-rooted Android Smartphones. It doesn't cover everything for sure but it still does a good job in many cases.

1 Like

quick question: in backup/firmware update if I choose the last option "write new firmware image" and select openwrt-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt1900acs-squashfs-factory.img will the current partition actually be overwritten or is it like on stock firmware, that the the image is written to the other partition?
I'd like to keep current lede on current parttion as it is and write new lede image to the other partiton.

On these devices, OpenWrt always alternates between partition sets when using sysupgrade, so it will always write to the other, currently inactive, partition set, never the one you're currently running from.

Thx then I remembered correctly, the description is just a bit missleading.
Choosing the latest factory.img gets me "uploaded firmware image has not supported format...." can I just tick "force upgrade"?

Using dnscrypt-proxy v2 here since it became available on your build.

I do this already myself.

You have to use the *sysupgrade.bin file when upgrading over the OpenWRT firmware. The *factory.img is for flashing over the stock firmware....

Yep and that's what I did, on the second partiton I had stock firmware. factory.img worked fine.

/etc/config/

adblock to adblock-opkg
banip to banip-opkg
darkstat to darkstat-opkg
wifi_schedule to wifi_schedule-opkg

and for example
/et/adblock was completely replaced so had to reconfigure the settings.
/etc/banip/ white list to white list-opkg etc...

So, should I try --force-maintainer next time?