Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I'm experiencing a weird problem... If my modem loses connection my WRT3200ACM@ build r8082 will keep the pppoe connection alive and doesn't establish a new connection when my DSL connection is up again.
This will result in no internet access and i have to manualy reconnect the pppoe-wan interface in order to recieve a new valid IP address via pppoe.
I'm pretty sure that i didn't had this problem before and i dont know how to fix it.

Any ideas why this happens and why my WRT3200 doesn't terminate the pppoe connection anymore if the DSL connection is down?

edit: adding option keepalive '10 5' under config interface 'wan' seems to fixed the problem.
But I wonder what this didn't happen with earlier builds...

beamformer/beamformee is a technology to use antenna grid power distribution for best signal level. Beamformee doesn't works well for Linksys we have (at least then i try it last time), but beamformer really helps, especially if the station is far away from router. And yes, it's for 5GHz only.
PS: I'm using Aperit 9db multi-frequency antennas. Helps a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for the infos. I'll add these options to my 5Ghz config...

Self promotion :slight_smile:

I also wonder why don't you use nfs/samba if you need a storage server for your LAN, rsync/sshfs seems strange for this use case?

Also if you want to sync stuff, there is a PR for syncthing.

PS: I also use a WRT1200AC and on the esata port i get 100MB/s via LAN-cable @40% CPU usage on samba4 from a Windows 10 client.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Andy. In openwrt-package-builder, is the "config.txt" file that is required the same as this file https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/releases/config.seed ? If not, where can I find a good example.

To answer why I want to use ssh instead of samba or ftp, I answered this previously in my first post, but to make it short, I just want one server that I can expose that does everything I need with the same public/private keys.

Thanks for sharing the throughput of your ESATA via samba4. I'm hoping I can get performance near that with SSH.

My experience with samba4.

Win10-Pro-64bit smb clients connected to openwrt routers:
Router1 named WRT32x running running david's r8082 snapshot... this one has samba v4.9.0
Router2 named NR701 running stable 18.06.1 r7258....this one has samba v3.6.25

Introducing samba4 caused chaos on my network, cifs shares stopped working and samba clients had to be re-done. Had to do a lot of reading and after trying various workaround what worked for me is changing the windows client NTLM version under local security policy to 'Send NTLMV2 response only'. For some reason the option 'Send LM & NTLM -use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated' always returned an invalid username/password whenever issued a 'net use * \server\share /user:username password', go figure.
There is a good discussion here ( Samba 4.9.x package support thread ) if interested.
Once all was fixed (and it took 2 days !) windows correctly negotiated the appropriate dialect as shown below:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName ShareName UserName Credential Dialect NumOpens

192.168.0.1 NR701-1GB-ext4 E4300\User E4300\xxxxx 2.0.2 1
192.168.0.1 NR701-6GB-ext4 E4300\User E4300\xxxxx 2.0.2 1
192.168.0.254 wrt32x_usb3_lexar111gb_ext4 E4300\User E4300\xxxxx 3.1.1 1
192.168.0.254 wrt32x_usb3_SSD111gb_ext4 E4300\User E4300\xxxxx 3.1.1 1

observations/questions:

1. Why is there a samba and a samba4 in /etc/config ? is the samba just a remnant ?
  2. what does avahi-daemon actually do ?
  3. what does wsdd2 actually do? ...something to do with netbios ?
    since i connect using IPs and disable netbios i've disabled both daemons and everything seems to work fine.
    Looks like for some it worked out of the box and for others it's causing issues. From an overall operational perspective samba4, in my environment, seems 'incomplete'. I know that is not a technical term but it feels laggy, takes a long time to authenticate and, for me at least, required adjustments.
    Coupled with the increase in size (samba4 is much, much more space hungry) I'm left wondering what did i actually win with samba4 for a home user with an average of 15 connections ?

What does avahi-daemon actually do? I don't know what it does, but is a part of the samba4 packages. I've been told by the experts it is not needed, but if I don't include it, samba4 fails to compile -- unknown reason why except the message about a dependency with avahi...

avahi-daemon advertises shares to clients.

No, the examples are in the release zip, several of them. Check the guide on the github page.

@andyxzyk

1. /etc/samba is for samba3, since samba4 has more config options.
    2/3. Each advertises samba shares by name to clients, wsdd2 to Windows and avahi to Linux/macOS/Android.

So yes if you only use ip's you can disable/uninstall both, but the defaults include both daemons so normal users can see there shares similar to how netbios worked.

Regarding "laggy" and "incomplete", that's not my experience ofc. In my test environment everything works out of the box. The problem is that Windows/Samba has countless options that can cause problems.

In theory samba4 via smbv3 should be faster, but in practice that's often not case in home use cases.

PS: As i have noted before if samba3 works for you and you don't use VFS modules, in most cases samba3 will work as good as samba4. So far samba3 still gets security backports and if you don't install/use smbv1 it should be secure.

You have to disable avahi support via menuconfig in the samab4 options and than you can remove the avahi package, if enabled (default) it links against the avahi libs.

andy2244 thanks, that all makes sense but in david's build i don't think samba3 is available anymore. Only samba4 in /etc/init.d therefore i do not have the option of falling back to samba 3 even if i wanted. I don't really need, or want, samba4 but i like davidc502's build and they have proven good on my wrt32x, so my only options are either to try and force an opkg install of samba3, assuming i can find one that works well with the kernel, or build my own. Anyway, thanks guys.

I don't use david's builds, but what is so special about those builds that they need custom package sources? All the packages from snapshots, should also work on davids build, including samba3.
Unless he builds against a custom libc or some other crazy stuff, there should be only minor differences between the official and custom images. Mainly kernel module dependent packages may break, but anything else just needs compatible libs.

Maybe david can shed light on this?

Finally fixed my problem, it is not LEDE, it is one of my TP_link powerline adapter which is causing the line drop, simply unplugging it and replug it fixed the problem.

2 Likes

Hello there, I'm a bit newbie for this thing but I've been looking for a firmware that provides me with a VLAN configuration better than the stock firmware (which ironically the AC3200 has them in the stock firmware) and hence that both devices have the same hardware I figured why can't just I boot the router with firmware of the AC3200.
The reason I want to do this is that my ISP is using FTTH ONT modem which works as a router too, but when I connect the WRT32X router to it connects via DHCP which slows down the traffic (especially streaming like Netflix ), so I figured out that I would put the modem in bridge mode and connect the router using PPPoE, and whenever I tried to do it it would fail and get no internet connection whatsoever. Then I discovered that it's because of the VLAN priority settings ( not the VLAN itself which is present in the stock GUI ). So I ended up here.

So I think my solutions are either set it up through the terminal without even bothering to get an openWRT, or trying it.

If someone has a solution for this problem please help.

Regarding the venom CFW, is it compatible with MU-MIMO? and the prioritization feature along with the killer engine?

I got the settings from someone with AC3200 (in the attached image)

Excuse my English and my long post, and thanks in advance. image

It's easy to set the up the right vlan tag for your wan interface with OpenWrt (if you know which vlan tag will be required for your ISP).
I can't tell you if it's possible to install the strock fw for the WRT3200ACM at your WRT32x but if you don't want to install OpenWrt you should go ahead and post your question about the missing vlan option at the official Linksys forum.
Anyway my advice would be to install david's latest build for the WRT32x and go from there on...

MU-MIMO isn't working yet (mwlwifi) and the killer engine isn't available with OpenWrt afaik.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

So would I be able to revert back to the original stock firmware if I didn't like the results of the OpenWRT?

Yes, that's no problem and you can even change between Stock and OpenWrt as the WRT32x (same as the WRT3200ACM) has 2 fw partitions. So if you install OpenWrt and you dont like it you can switch back to the Linksys partition.
But keep in mind that if you install a new OpenWrt build over the existing OpenWrt installation you will end up with OpenWrt on both partitions. But even than you could install the stock fw again...

1 Like

That's great!
So is there anything special I need to do to make sure I have the two partitions thing? Or it's going to be an automated process?
Plus you really encouraged me now I think I'm going to give a try, any pieces of advice before I do the boot? Should I reset the router first?
Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

You will always have 2 partitions with the WRT32x. Just make sure that you flash the right factory image from the stock GUI.
https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/releases/lede-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt32x-squashfs-factory.img
And as i said if you want to keep your Linksys stock partition don't flash another OpenWrt build over the existing OpenWrt installation/partition.
If I flash a new OpenWrt build of davidc I always save my settings, boot into the Linksys partition and flash the new factory.img from there. Once everything went fine I will upload my old config so i don't have to confgure everything from the scratch. This always worked fine for me...

Plus you really encouraged me now I think I'm going to give a try, any pieces of advice before I do the boot? Should I reset the router first?

There is no need to factory reset first. Once you have flashed OpenWrt you start up with the default config of OpenWrt.
Once you get familiar with OpenWrt you will never want to go back to the stock firmware, trust me. :wink:

1 Like