Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Tag, you're it if you see it that way but the RANT was aimed at everyone here.

I stand by my post. I would really prefer to see this forum die a graceful death after it's successfully wonderful journey rather than the prolonged agony it seems to be going through.

You're just giving false hope to who knows how many users are lurking and wondering,

You can continue using this build with all it's current vulnerabilities, or you can go forward. Pretty simple. Yes or No.

1 Like

Yep, OpenWrt 21.02-snapshot is better in every way than the final davidc502 that's unsupported and over a year old. Here is my list of running packages if anyone wants to copy into SSH from a clean install of 21.02, it'll do the work for you and put you above what davidc502 has in performance and security, namely irqbalance is needed to move mwlwifi off CPU0 to CPU1:

Summary

opkg update && opkg install irqbalance luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-sqm luci-app-adblock luci-app-upnp luci-app-samba4 luci-app-watchcat luci-theme-material block-mount kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-ohci-pci kmod-ata-ahci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb3 ntfs-3g fdisk luci-app-hd-idle luci-app-wireguard iperf3 nano

5 Likes

you all can also use binwalker and extract the .bin file and grab all his special configs and so on.
then use imagebuilder or build your own.. or whatever, then have nearlly everything the same as his current last build...........

But if you use any of his custom configs, at leave give the guy credit for his hard work and many hours of testing to come up with his configs..........

the binwalker command is:

binwalk -Me path_to_file/openwrt-domino.bin

do i get the snapshot here ?

Presumably you mean 21.02-SNAPSHOT; that is not the RC3 currently released for testing.

1 Like

Huh? Just use the firmware selector they post right on the main OpenWrt page:

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=21.02-SNAPSHOT&target=mvebu%2Fcortexa9&id=linksys_wrt32x

1 Like

Did you have the same result on 21.02-snapshot with WIFI as David get - download = upload ? I tested already:
OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r13342-e35e40ad82 (David) download = upload WIFI STABLE
OpenWrt 19.07.7 download = 30% upload WIFI STABLE any problem with any app
21.02-snapshot download = 30% upload WIFI NOT STABLE the same I try with your summary - nothing.
Im new in openwrt (it is my hobby now). If you get better result pls share your config files - I will try to compare with my...

From my experience with Shelby (WRT1900ACS v2), using wifi in Linksys' routers on both stable and snapshots of OpenWrt 21.x is quite painful - especially 5GHz. Although on Divested builds wifi works as stable as on OpenWrt 19.xx.x. You can search the forum for those builds, just remember to enable irqbalance after flashing - details are on website.

Disclaimer: I hope David is OK with advertising other builds in his thread. If not, please feel free to delete the post. :+1:

2 Likes

Life got in the way was not able to move forward with the upgrade. Would like to attempt now but have a few questions before I proceed.

I am using WRT1900AC v1 one is running openWRT from Davidc502 and the other is running dd-wrt.

What version of openWRT is currently recommend and does it have LuCI installed?

What is the easiest method to upgrade from DD-WRT?

What is the easiest method to upgrade from previous version of openWRT?

Thanks for helping out with these NOOB questions.

You can sysupgrade from link below, just make sure you don't keep any settings since 21.02 has undergone major changes including changing to upstream DSA.

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=21.02-SNAPSHOT&target=mvebu%2Fcortexa9&id=linksys_wrt1900ac-v1

If you're unsure about migration then wait for 21.02 to officially release since there are still bugs being fixes in the release candidates.

Thanks for the reply.

Was digging around and went ahead with the RC. Flashed back to OEM and then flashed with RC.

I give 21.02 a chance and set it up to my 3200.

What should i say....

• Random slowdown at LUCI. Sometime stat open can take up to 3 minutes(!)
  • Wifi is still BUGGY. Seems like they use a kind of "power save", and it can't be disabled. As a result, just-connected or IDLE for some time client stuck at low RX rate (6mbps!), and only grow if it start active operations. Sounds good, but increasing rate took SECONDS (up to 30 seconds for 2.4G!). Meanwhile all operations are slow. How can i fix this?
  • It did not support many led events (usb, sata, wps, etc). So most of leds is useless (but listed in LED list). How can i set up this kernel events for leds? (no KMODs available in opkg!).
  • DSO is AWFUL. A lot of phantom interfaces switching randomly, and correction can disrupt operations and even brick(!) router. Also, is it even a way to know lan connection speed now?

So, David's FW is still the best for now.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I am still stuck on David’s build because 21.02 RC builds have all had intermittent cutouts of wireless and wired connections. I had all members of my family complaining each time I tried those on my WRT3200.

I keep David’s build on one of the partitions and I always have to go back to it because it is stable and flawless. I may even have to go back to 19.07.x series builds since David’s are no long maintained.

1 Like

Thank you I was pulling my hair out!! After 2 days of 21.02 and intermittent wireless I'm back to Davids last build. I too have a WRT3200. I might do the same and load 19.07 and try to update from there.

I also have patched opkg.conf and can use packages from OpenWRT repo.
Until great advance in stability and functionality of the OpeWRT i didn't see the reason to update.

I run all the snapshots using kernel 5.10.x and my wifi drivers are sorta taken from another source.
I have no wifi cutouts.. prier to using a custom wifi drivers, I was having alot of wifi cutouts.

and yes I build my firmware from source. But in all, with the many custom changes I have managed
to test and pull off, Things are working great.. matter of fact much better then official.

But I can see where people would want to go back with wifi cutouts. I was having alot of them too even on snapshot builds.. but after I tried another source for my wifi drivers, problem seems to have gone away. and this is on a wrt3200acm. Dont know how well it would work on other devices.

Just sharing my input.. As they say, Where there is a will, there is a way..

1 Like

As David's website and repos are offline, I am just wondering if I can make flashable image from current installation of David's build, such that I can have such an flashable image to go back David's build after a taste of new openwrt builds.

I searched elsewhere and find this

On wrt1900acs, I have following partitions. But I do not know which partition to choose to create the image. I guess mtd5 (rootfs1) should be the partition that holds the firmware?

root@router:~# cat /proc/mtd
mtd0: 00200000 00020000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 00040000 00020000 "u_env"
mtd2: 00040000 00020000 "s_env"
mtd3: 00100000 00020000 "devinfo"
mtd4: 02800000 00020000 "kernel1"
mtd5: 02200000 00020000 "rootfs1"
mtd6: 02800000 00020000 "kernel2"
mtd7: 02200000 00020000 "ubi"
mtd8: 02600000 00020000 "syscfg"
mtd9: 00680000 00020000 "unused_area"

Those experiencing the reported intermittent wifi outage with master or 21.xRC on venom or rango devices might want to try backing out to the previous 88W8964 FW as outlined in post, to see if it helps.

1 Like

dd is not an appropriate tool, and I don’t see why you would need to use it anyway.

Just flash a sysupgrade.bin from a build you want to try out. Your current David’s build remains on the alternate partition - LuCI/System/Advanced Reboot to get back to it

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.