Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Check kernel log for setup / errors...

I've picked up a r7800 to replace my wrt3200acm and am much happier so far. It has been discontinued, so finding a new might be hard. Good luck.

First, please edit the post and replace your log dump with a throwaway link i.e.

dmesg | nc termbin.com 9999

dmesg dump from a rango. Ignore the differences as I am booting 5.10.x, but I see no phy1 getting setup on your device, not even a failed attempt. You say you have tried many FW versions, presumption would be HW failure.

On oem fw i can configure wifi but it not working at all. On openwrt it works but only 1 radio is available. I will check hw, thx for advice.

Quick stupid question, is anyone running plain openwrt on their linksys routers?
What do I lose by running that vs david's build?
I read the comparison, so there is a few packages, drivers are specific for a device, but does that mean these custom builds are better than the standard from openwrt?

Hi! in my case I'm running Insomnia Build and it's working just fine
https://www.corifeus.com/openwrt-insomnia

Here my cheat sheet to get as close as I wanted to Davidc build:

Update WiFi Firmware
================================
cd /lib/firmware/mwlwifi
mv 88W8964.bin 88W8964.bin.ORG
wget https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/raw/master/bin/firmware/88W8964.bin -O 88W8964.bin.OEM
ln -s 88W8964.bin.OEM 88W8964.bin
reboot

luci-app-statistics
opkg install luci-app-statistics collectd collectd-mod-cpu collectd-mod-interface collectd-mod-iwinfo collectd-mod-load collectd-mod-memory collectd-mod-network collectd-mod-rrdtool collectd-mod-sensors collectd-mod-thermal rrdtool1

mkdir /tmp/rrd
chown -R nobody:nogroup /tmp/rrd

/etc/init.d/luci_statistics enable
/etc/init.d/collectd enable

opkg update
opkg install curl libustream-openssl ca-bundle ca-certificates

curl -OJL https://gist.githubusercontent.com/squarewf/a2347fe44e217a19998eb2b6b1b16c59/raw/60982762db4df24f147b00f19113f915618df940/rrdbackup

mv rrdbackup /etc/init.d/rrdbackup
chmod +x /etc/init.d/rrdbackup
/etc/init.d/rrdbackup enable
/etc/init.d/rrdbackup start

luci-app-advanced-reboot
opkg install luci-app-advanced-reboot

ddns-scripts
opkg install luci-app-ddns ddns-scripts

luci-app-adblock
opkg install adblock luci-app-adblock

luci-app-watchcat
opkg install luci-app-watchcat watchcat

luci-app-wol
opkg install luci-app-wol

luci-app-sqm
opkg install luci-app-sqm sqm-scripts

luci-app-bcp38
opkg install luci-app-bcp38 bcp38

igmpproxy
opkg install igmpproxy
2 Likes

Having in account that a custom build is far beyond my reach, I have decided to use the Insomnia build, and so far so good.

Is there a way to tell if I have the european version of the router?

Thanks!

iw reg get

and presumably the sticker on unit bottom

1 Like

I'm very unsure on how to go on. I loved Davids builds because it was so easy for me to update and configure. Im not a Linux guy at all and the dnsmasq thing worries me.
Can I simply update with this sysupgrade.bin? http://mirror.0x.sg/openwrt/releases/19.07.6/targets/mvebu/cortexa9/openwrt-19.07.6-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt3200acm-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Will I loose my config? I use wireguard and wifi, nothing else on this switch/router.
Thanks everybody for your help. Im a mechanical engineer and im stuck with caring for security in a small company.

Given that these builds had a rather special pre-installed package set and configuration (especially in regards to the dns setup), I would strongly suggest to start with a clean default config.

1 Like

I also loved Davids builds, everything worked well and was updated often. I finally had to compile my own builds to meet my needs. I started off with No nonsense build and added the packages I needed. His video explaining the entire process made it very simple. If you choose to go this route feel free to PM me with any questions. Its really not that difficult.

Which router do you have and are you getting good WiFi performance using your own builds?

I have two for testing. A 1200ac and a 32x. I will test the internal wifi speeds and get back to you. I got tired of latency and drops so I purchased access points for each.

Don't give up on the router just give up on the wireless. It's a great router with David's builds even if he can't update them right now. If you get something like a ruckus R600 from ebay and install their unleashed firmware you'll have a super WiFi. Or something from ubiquiti maybe. Basically a good quality dedicated wireless access point is worth the investment and can scale well so you can add a few and have seamless wifi across your home.

2 Likes

I have a set of Huawei AX3 WiFi6 mesh routers hooked up to my good old 32X. Cheap solution and works like a charm!

Hey Scott - Just having a few issues with running my own build and had a few noob questions. I just built an new ubuntu vm and have followed the instructions but for some odd reason I am getting a few errors e.g. whitespaces in patch files:

.git/rebase-apply/patch:158: space before tab in indent.
                        /* fastpath: update of existing entry */

Is it wise to just ignore these or not. Also i am unable pm you as your user profile is hidden. Cheers

I get the same "whitespace" errors from one patch so far. Check this link: stackoverflow Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I've found they are code "styling" errors. The patches still work fine.

I would suggest moving this conversation to No-nonsense-linksys-wrt-build.

I corrected my profile, so pm should work if you need help.

Hello enthousiasts,

I'm really happy with the no-nonsense builds, because they gave my extra help with my latest trunk builds.

I have kernel 5.4.97 compiled with gcc 9. My builds
have almost all packages of the DC502 build.
So my build are the combination between dc502 and no-nonsense.

I removed Samba4....I have a NAS (much faster, better, more storage)

And my main change is the use of openssl-devcrypto with hardware crypto (lower latency) and almost all devrypto modules and modified ssl.conf.
I have full vlan support on ipv4 and ipv6 and even on wlan and multi ssid!

I use mwan3 cable and fiber isp...with mwan3... dnscrypt-proxy2, adblock, wireguard vpn, qos, sqm,upnp without errors!

I used the modified patch for mwlwifi from github

And I have a hacked wireless-regdb from orca.pet that gives me full 30db 1000mW over all channels without DFS. Love it!

I have no disconnects, a ping of 4-8ms on wifi, speed of 780-800 up and down. My range is 100meters from my house. I tested with laptop,phone,tab. My up and download speeds are between 850-980 always on wired PC.... every hour of the day!

The router boots in 21 seconds flat, complete with fiber wan and connected wifi clients! I have 2 small errors..in my log. Because of a avahi error.
Dmesg logs....only log disconnects and connect .....no errors.

12 hours uptime now....

From my phone, which maxes out at 330mbit, exactly according specs realme!

And now I'm building my first openwrt 21 image

Try that on the best mesh wifi system! A ping of 4-8ms on 12 different speedtest servers between 30-250km

2 Likes

That's awesome wifi speeds!
Are you able to share with us the location of the modified mwlwifi patch?