Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Yeah it's my only issue too. Tagged @davidc502 for visibility. If your other Echo's/Dot's are working fine on
"normal" OpenWRT then that would suggest a configuration/build issue. I might try the newest 18.06 OpenWrt to see whether that helps.

Trouble is, I really like David's build haha :slight_smile:

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I'm not running a regular openwrt release, only david's builds, so I can't compare to 18.06 unfortunately.

My apologies. I tried 18.06 earlier and it wasn't quite as bad but still occasional dropouts.

Hi,

Someone could help me, I do not understand the reason of being with 60% of the memory of the WRT3200 used,
I know it may be due the 160Mghz channel, but the difference in relation to my WRT1900 is very large,
help me to solve or improve this problem.

As far as I know the WRT3200ACM uses / reserves more memory to speed up data transfers over wireless compared to the other WRT models. So what you are seeing should be normal.

And since your screenshot is showing an uptime of 12 days this should not be a memory leak (maybe a very small one).

My WRT32X would frequently drop to around 9% Total Available Memory within a few hours of a reboot. Statistics App would always show a very sudden (almost instant) increase in cached memory.
I made a half-assed attempt to find the cause, but never did figure it out before moving back to stock.
It never seemed to affect performance, but I don't need to push my router very hard.

There was a discussion about a possible memory leak in the previous Davidc502 Thread:

I'm on Davidc build r7829 on a WRT1900ACS V2 and I've experienced the same problem with memory been filled up shortly after reboot. Memory clear up and back to normal if I run sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches but sometimes, it's just filling up again. Seem to be random on every reboots, it can fill up in minutes or days or never.

I can see 90-100% RAM utilization possibly being an issue, depending on the situation, but this is far far below.

I can't be certain, but I don't think I experienced the memory issue with your builds or the 18.06 SNAPSHOTS. Only Master SNAPSHOT builds.
Also, I haven't run OpenWrt on my WRT32X in over a month so this could be moot.

I took what I learned here and have been using it to play around with the stock Venom firmware.
When I get the time I plan to attempt a DNSCrypt-Proxy v2 install.

1 Like

Hi David,
Thank you SO much for providing and supporting these builds. I'm using wrt3200acm, and was moving ssh services over from RSA-2048 keys to ED25519. After replacing the authorized keys with the ED25519 ones, I was no longer able to successfully gain access via ssh. I understand ED25519 support is not included in DropBear by default, but if image is built with DROPBEAR_CURVE25519 option, it would be. Any chance a future David-build could include? It seems that ED25519 is apparently the newer and faster "standard" public key signature system... at least from what dated materials I'm reading.

Alternatively, I understand I could load openssh-server, and manually configure, but was trying to avoid the complexity.

Thanks either way!
Dan

These are the options below in the screenshot... Curve25519 has already been selected, and I'm wondering if you also need ECC support. Let me know what you think as I can add ECC to the builds if that is what you need.

Screenshot%20from%202018-08-20%2016-29-05

This is just something new I started looking at (Some of you may have known about this for a long time), but I found java script that allows a website to collect the Private IP address of the machine connecting to it. As someone concerned about security, I wanted to alert people of the possibility, and offer ways to patch the hole.

This webpage isn't completed yet, but feel free to check it out, as it should display the Private IP address of your PC, providing you haven't already fixed/patched the hole. Also, please keep in mind, what is displayed on the screen will only be on your screen!

https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/stunIP.html

Fixes --

MS Edge = about:flags, then check "Hide my local IP address over WebRTC connections"
Chrome = Download and install Extension "WebRTC Leak Prevent"
Firefox = About:Config - media.peerconnection.enabled << Set to false

I've tested on Linux (Chrome), Windows 10 (Chrome/Firefox), Android (Chrome), and IPhone (Safari). So, far Safari was the only browser that this script did not work on.

Also, feel free to comment. Were you able to patch this hole?

I'm using the following addon with FireFox ESR...

1 Like

Is anyone else seeing any issues with DHCPV6 leases?

I just upgraded to the latest David build (released 2018-08-12 16:07) and I've noticed that I am no longer seeing hostnames in the DHCPv6 leases section of the "Overview" tab in Luci. In my previous version (David's build released June 02 2018) the DHCPv6 leases section was full of all the dynamically assigned v6 addresses and their hostnames.

I've also noticed that in the previous version I could reserve an IPv4 address and the last digits of the IPv6 address would use the same number as the final digits in the IPv4 address (for example, if the IPv4 address was 192.168.1.4 then the IPv6 address would end with ::4). This also appears to be broken in the latest David build.

Has anyone else seen these issues before? Perhaps I need to start a default config?

1 Like

Hi David,
I did some poking around, and tried removing the dropbear package and installing the "stock one". But I got same failure. (no telling what build options were used on that.) The best public-key encryption that seemed possible with stock dropbear build was 4096-bit RSA. SO, if you wanted to try building with that additional option, I'm more than happy to test and see if it works. ED25519 is supposed to be faster and nearly unbreakable, and none of us want Putin or NSA in our routers these days!

Alternatively, I'm going to enable and bulletproof my router VPN service, then completely disable ssh access from WAN, so dropbear issue becomes inconsequential.

P.S. Thanks for last post... I completely wasn't protected.

Thanks again for your images and support!
Dan

1 Like

So regarding my post above, it seems that something changed between r7210 and r7360. Is there a way for me to see what changes were made to odhcpd between those revisions?

Thanks! I actually wasn't aware of this, but it's fixed now.
Windows 10 Desktop Computer - Microsoft EDGE & Google Chrome.

Also, I checked your website with the iOS Chrome browser (iPad) and nothing was displayed.

1 Like

Master just updated with the newest mwlwifi drivers:

Wonder if that would help any of these dropout and performance issues.

1 Like

Is there a way to just update the drivers?

1 Like

WOW, didn't know about this. I've installed the WebRTC Leak Prevent Chrome extension, and it solved the issue. Thanks for alerting the community !

1 Like