Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

I am running the last build r13059 on a WRT1900ACS and noticed I get much higher latency on ipv6, compared to ipv4.
When I ping the WRT1900ACS on ipv6:

C:\>ping fe80::1491:82ff:febb:acf0

Pinging fe80::1491:82ff:febb:acf0 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::1491:82ff:febb:acf0: time=18ms
Reply from fe80::1491:82ff:febb:acf0: time=20ms
Reply from fe80::1491:82ff:febb:acf0: time=19ms
Reply from fe80::1491:82ff:febb:acf0: time=19ms

Ping statistics for fe80::1491:82ff:febb:acf0:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms

When I ping the router on ipv4:

C:\>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

This seems to rule out wifi reception or interferenance problems.
When I ping ipv6 hosts on the internet, the problem remain.
The first hop to the router has the same high latency, which is added to every next hop..
Sometimes the ipv6 latency returns to normal, similar to the ipv4 latency, but after a short while it goes up again.
When I reboot the WRT1900ACS with the previous build r12833, both ipv4 and ipv6 latency are always similar with low values of less than 2ms.

@davidc502 uses a patch on the build to reduce latency.
Is the patch not properly applied in r13059 or no longer working?

I don't see any problem with DNS right now and I'm also using ~100M RAM after just 1 day uptime.
How many filter lists do you have enabled?

Hi there,

I can also report high ping with last build r13059 (using wrt1900acs v1)

5ghz :
speed test on pc - always from 15-18ms
ping 8.8.8.8. from pc - 20ms
ping pc ->roter - this is ok 1ms

didnt have high ping on stock linksys fw.

after a week I managed to get more than 350mbps download and 100mbps upload over wifi 5GHZ
ISP speed is 500/100mbps.
on channnel 46 max 100mbps, channel 64 max 150bmps and on channel 112 350mbps.
I have even better signal on 112 :slight_smile:

It's a different story with 2,4GHZ - it's poor - max 70mbps 1m away from the router.
belive me I tried everything, channels, etc... WMM enabled always , Qos, etc

does anybody experience the same high ping?

tnx

Is it possible that the firewall or something could be blocking a website? I tried nslookup a website and I am getting NXDOMAIN. What exactly does that mean? I can access the site otherwise but not through my the router.

@UBI
Maybe the site is blocked by adblock?

But I also have problems, with DNSSEC sometimes (stubby or https dns proxy).
Some domains fail to resolve.

did you check this ? Linksys WRT1200AC wireless performance on latest stable

Tnx lopov,

But I dont know how to do it. Need to dig a little bit more and explore, educate,...

I don't think adblock, or dnscrypt is the culprit. I have a wrt3200acm, and I uninstalled both. My usage after 7 days, is 233 MB / 499 MB. In fact, I didn't install anything extra on my router. All software is stock. I have also disabled samba and wsdd2 because I have no use for it. The only extra thing I have configured is a second guest wifi network, running on both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz. So I am guessing this is what is using extra resources.

Yes it is, 2 days later and it is now 10MB bigger, sort by RAM with shift+m:

Normal config would be around 64MB RAM usage, and I had that for years, and it never grew over time.

Not sure what filter lists are for dnscrypt, I havent changed any of its config honestly.

With @solidus1983 big help I finally have a build on kernel 5.4.41. I just installed it about 10 minutes ago, and will run it through today. If it is relatively stable will post it out on the website for those who want to try. So far I've had no problems, and hope that continues.

2 Likes

No need to thank me, if it wasn't for @anomeome and @jeff1 I wouldn't of noticed what the issues was. So really thank them. But glad it's all working out. Guess I need to run my update and compile scripts as it would seem I can now change the config back to how I like it.

I have been looking into the memory issues that have been pointed out that happens over time and will continue to do so to see if I can find what's causing it.

Dear Dave - solidus1983 and all the other OpenWRT Mavens here,
Hello and I hope that you are well and safe in these days and times. I am glad to hear of the progress and breakthroughs on kernel 5.4.41. Count me in on testing the new build. I have a question about exroot on kernel 5.4.41 builds. Do we follow the same procedures as we did on all previous firmware or is there some new manner in which to configure exroot?
I ask because I installed a kernel 5.4.41 test build by Nitroshift and had some issues with exroot; but it may have been that I just had a bad usb drive - a cheap one which I got from China on Ebay.
Anyway, I really wish to thank all you guys ( developers ) for your hard work, diligence, dedication and devotion to seeing to it that all of us here in the Community may avail ourselves of the most up to date advances on this - the phenomenal OpenWRT firmware.
Peace and God Bless -

PS - Dave - any ETA on when you will upload the new 5.4.41 build ? I only ask because I have been dying to fire it up on my router. And I can immodestly state as I always proclaim - you are simply the best when you put forth your meticulously compiled firmware for us all.

Directnupe, Its great news that Kernel 5.4.41 has been built into @davidc502 's builds however, there is always a rule of thumb with Dev's or community builds. Never ask for an ETA. From chatting with Davidc myself i know he'd rather test the firmware to insure the basic core items works so the thread is not flooded with issues about this that and the other.

However if you are eager to test firmware, its not hard to compile yourself.

Working .config file

https://termbin.com/6eiq

Then Change the lines with to either blank or what your hosting your images on

http://openbot.lan/

I mean no offense towards you as your simply asking a question but i will give you the standard dev/community reponse.

It will be ready when its ready, not until.

As for you question about ExtRoot, if its not working on the USB stick right now check the USB stick, if you got a cheapo one the chances are its A) A Fake or B) Failed.

You can find this out in the kernel log area and system log area as well why it has failed.

Dear solidus1983,
Hello and I hope that you are well. If you check my profile you will see that I first hooked up with Dave back in the day ( Joined Jun 6, '17 ) to be exact. And we have always been cool - so to speak. Now - I mean no offense but as I check your profile and my memory - you starting popping up here ( Joined Jan 17, '19 ) - now with no offense to you ; but I am of the mind that first - I think that Dave will forgive my one transgression after all of our time together. Moreover, with all due respect - you have not been privy to all our private conversations / messages on this topic and / or others. So, I appreciate your assistance and advice about compiling this build, your helping Dave and your OpenTomato Theme work. But I do take some exception to your playing posting police. I am sure ( as I have time in here in this Community and on this thread for some time ) that Dave can and will speak for himself. After all - this was and is The Davidc502 Thread and Community. So stay in your lane - no offense intended or taken.

My daughter, her boyfriend and I are hitting the disc golf course in about an hour or so, and I won't be back until probably around 5pm Central time. Will check the logs when I get back and look over some of the functionality again. If all looks decent then I'll upload the builds to the site. I'm thinking around 6-7pm Central time, but don't hold me to it in case something comes up.

One observation I've made so far is wifi seems a little more response than it has been, and throughput is back up to where it should be. Over the past 3 or 4 months, I've only been getting around 300mbps download on wifi, but now am back to around 500mbps. However, this needs to be checked several times though the day to see if it drops back off again. With Wifi there are sooooo many variables, so I'm unable to say why it "seems" to be better right now. Will test over the coming days to see if it remains stable and fast.

1 Like

I agree with the Wireless bit, as your privy to the last message i sent you whilst giving you the config file, i have jumped from 200mbps on iperf tests to 400+mbps (With SQM enabled). It has also been stable for me as well.

Have you noticed any increase in CPU whilst speed testing as well or has it decreased as i have noticed a decrease myself.

But either way enjoy your golf game, May you hit a Hole in one bud.

@directnupe If i came across as post policing this was not my intent, coming from other communities i have dealing with where ETA this ETA that is the norm, that question is just like a red rag and i hit auto. I know i am newish to this community and will learn in time, so please take my apologies for my transgression.

Anyways i think its time for me to take a break for a while as i am burnt out.
No offense taken though if things are not said then it can't be fixed or rectified for one to better themselves.

1 Like

My daughter just called and pushed the game back a couple of hours, so I uploaded the build to the server as is. It has the bootstrap Luci-theme, so add opentomato theme when you get logged in.

I have not tested CPU, so I can't say either way.

I just test VPN, and these are the fastest speeds I've seen yet. However, this is just one test, and needs to be done over time.

For those who want to start testing now the build is here - > https://dc502wrt.org/snapshots/r13244/

I am seeing various errors in the logs, but nothing that would be considered a show stopper for the 3200acm, but your results may vary depending on the hardware and software added.

VPN turned OFF

3 Likes

Dear solidus1983,
Peace and I am a Quaker - so I know you meant no harm - nor do I. I appreciate your being receptive to my reply to your message. Believe me when I say that this Community and OpenWRT overall is far better for you being an active and contributing member of its' development and progress. Also, I forgot to thank you for your advice about exroot. Thank you very much.
Anyway, Dave has posted his new build with Kernel 5.4.41 and I want to thank you ( as he did ) and all the others who assisted him with getting this up and running. All in all we are all here to assist each other and get along and play nicely. So, at the end of the day - I will heed your initial advice and not press Dave for ETA's in the future concerning the availability of any of his new firmware. It was good advice as I do not want to set any bad practices which set a precedent. Perhaps, I was a bit overly sensitive. Forgive me and you deserve some rest - as I know that you work very hard; I have seen you on many threads ( other than here ) dedicated to OpenWRT development. So, finally - once again thank you for all you do in that regard.
Peace

No problem bud, thanks for your reply. If you need anything PM me.

I just installed the new kernel 5.4.41 version r13244 on my WRT1900ACS and it seems to be stable.
It still has the same high latency problem, I noticed with the previous build r13059.
I suspect the amsdu latcency patch is not working anymore:

root@lede:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/mwlwifi/sta

mac address: 18:56:80:ef:92:9b
aid: 3
ampdu: true
amsdu: true
wds: false
ba_hist: disable
amsdu cap: 0x01
ht_cap: 0x0067, ampdu: 03, 05
rx_mask: 0xff, ff, 00, 00
vht_cap: 0x038118b2, mcs: fffa, fffa
rx_bw: 2, rx_nss: 2
tdls: 0, tdls_init: 0
wme: 1, mfp: 0
IV: 000000000706

As you an see the amsdu is enabled!
The last version properly disabling amsdu was r12833.