Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Looks like Im missing someting, Ive installed the package (did not select overwrite existing file prompt)
However I dont see it as an option under dropdown themes.

Have your refreshed your browser with CTRL+Shift+R? If not give it a try.

Well... I meet this bug before. You can change LUCI skin (this bug in default one) or just edit config file / use UCI commands.

Sorry, i don't agree. Samba 4 can provide more speed if configured well.
Now i have about 70MBps at 5G wifi, and 102MBps at cable (limited by disk).
I agree with ntfs support, but i'm just use ext4 disk.

@PowerCoder W10 have optional SMB1 support - you can enble it in old control panel-programs-optional components. Then you can enable in Samba 4.

SMB1, yikes! It's 3.1 across my entire network. But we have to consider the "average" user, at least to a degree. Personally, I haven't found a real use for storage on my router though. I'm open to suggestions. As well as what you mean by "configured well."

Do consider that izi's original suggestion had nothing to do with the SMB1/2/3 thing, I was the one that brought that up. From what I understand he indicated that Samba 4 was heavier on resources on the router. I have no idea which extra dependence are included in the Samba 4 package. I assume CUPS is in there for USB printer sharing at least, and that pulls in a crapload.

Quick question for you guys: if I run the sysupgrade package, it will install on my other partition, right? So I could experiment with it and switch back to my current stock-OpenWRT if I wanted?

It's up to you what SMB version you should have. BTW, i use server min protocol = / server max protocol = in config to define it (and have "allow legacy protocol" for older Android devices).

About how to use it... It's vary. I use it as backup device, minidlna, ip tv recorder, torrents.

In general, you can't select partition for sysupgrade. But it's ALWAYS other partition. Yu can reboot to stock one and flash from it.
Also, read this thread - ACM3200 Upgrades and partitions

So you run a torrent client somewhere and have it store them on the network share provided by the router? Because I doubt routers can run a torrent client. Although I would love to have a monitoring package like Nagios on my router. Saves me a Raspberry Pi (which reminds me, since my router has a USB3 port, maybe I can power my Pi with it).

I did consider putting my digitized administration and backup of My Documents on it. Especially with NVME USB drives becoming more common. I don't know how secure it would be though.

I'm currently running on the stock OpenWRT, there's an archaic DavidC build on the other partition. I just wanted to verify that it won't overwrite my stock partition.

Which would be annoying if I just wanted to upgrade to a newer build, if it always "upgrades" by installing to the other partition and copying over the config. If the config between the two partitions is different, I can't easily switch to the stock-partition and then upgrade.

You wrong. Transmission works quite well directly on our routers.

I have MSQT for my IoT, Nagios possible too.

It have eSATA - it's a WAY better, then USB. NVME will be waste of money - you never got it at full speed, SATA SSD already more, then top network speed.

Read the topic. All you need - first reboot to other partition, THEN use sysupgrade. Sysupgrade can restore other configuration, instead of current - check options.

:slight_smile: Sure, next thing I did after install followed by a reboot. No luck.

Even with lots and lots of torrents? Wow. I did just check and both Transmission and rtorrent were both in opkg form. Nice. Now I just need Sickgear and Sabnzbd. :slightly_smiling_face:

I suppose it is a good usage for an external drive. Power-friendly too, compared to an always-running NAS.

Well, there doesn't seem to be a ready made package for those. Then again, Nagios does nothing out of the box, which is why I despise it. But it was a low-resource consuming of the options I considered.

You're right, my ACS does have a shared eSATA/USB port. Forgot all about that. I've been considering USB stick alternatives and those NVME USB drives are very appealing. Longer life too.

Really? I checked the wiki pages and didn't see any option for it.

It doesn't matter that much, as I intend to keep a uci-script for every config I make so I can go from factory defaults to fully configured in 60 seconds.

I have 100+, and, i suppose, you should apply to CODEX or CPY if you need more :slight_smile:

No LUCI. Packages are still in place, even collectd modules.

Yes. $5 cable and any notebook SATA drive do the job well. 5" drives can be used too, but needs external power.

-r | --restore-backup <file> restore a .tar.gz created with sysupgrade -b then exit. Does not flash an image. If file is '-', the archive is read from stdin.

or

-f <config> restore configuration from .tar.gz (file or url)

1 Like

Exatcly what @T-Troll said. And I agree it's not convenient for simple upgrades. Would be cool to have an option to flash the current.

As for samba maybe I will give it another try. Stock configurations gave me 70MB/s for samba3.6 and 40MB/s for samba4 and ksmbd. I do believe its connected to the protocol. The test procedures were abysmal, though so I might give it another try.

@davidc502 Thanks for the update, will check it out

1 Like

Hi David... What's new on the latest builds? (You mentioned that the dnscrypt config is now automatic?)

1 Like

@ferrarif1wc
I've created a wiki page with detailed instructions:

Its usable with any OpenWrt image also with Davids one.

@RuralRoots
It's pretty much secure and does not break firmware configuration.

Let me show you:

It's 5G wifi, 80MHz, Intel AX200 adapter.
Samba 4, NETBIOS on, Legacy on, min protocol LM1, max protocol SMB3 and some tuning in confg.
Also, as i say before in this thread, you need Windows 10 TCP stack tuning, they limit it in 1909(?).

1 Like

speed samba 36

last release openwrt, compiled wo ip6
5g wifi 80mhz, Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535
samba36 no tuning, windows 10 no tuning
after reboot
samba4 goes only to 60MB/s
samba 3.6 take 9MB less on router, is about half the load
I'm open to suggestions

edit: did some tcp tuning, wow 10MB more on internet download, hope its not a glitch
thanks for the tip

I have it on my older notebook... Quite buggy Atheros, in fact. Don't like any Killer after, even now i drop their drivers and use Intel one instead.

About Samba.... I have bcp38 and wsdd2 disable.
My config:

[global]
	netbios name = |NAME| 
	interfaces = |INTERFACES|
	server string = |DESCRIPTION|
	workgroup = |WORKGROUP|
        server min protocol = NT1
	server max protocol = SMB3
	browseable = yes
	deadtime = 30
	domain master = yes
	encrypt passwords = true
	enable core files = no
	guest account = nobody
	guest ok = yes
	invalid users = root
	local master = yes
	load printers = no
	map to guest = Bad User
	null passwords = yes
	#obey pam restrictions = yes
	passdb backend = smbpasswd
	preferred master = yes
	security = user
	smb encrypt = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

time server = yes
        unix extensions = no

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

syslog = 1
	#use sendfile = yes
	writeable = yes

read raw = yes
        write raw = yes

getwd cache = yes
        #oplocks = no
        large readwrite = yes

max xmit = 131072
	aio read size =  65535
        aio write size =  65535
	min receivefile size = 131072

I have some patches too, but it's about other.

You are welcome! And shame to MS for doing this.

Could be a Pandora’s Box too. Works, it’s a means to an end, (though it is so trivial and secure with a wire), BUT. . .

I can’t help but wonder how many peeps will actually replace ‘changeme’ in the script or just do a c&p and then not change wifi passwd on first boot and end up with an SSID of ‘OpenWrt/passwd=changeme’. Shades of Linksys admin/admin.

People tend to be predictable. Take a War Drive with a small toolset using common default unames/passwords and see what it’s really like in the wild. :grimacing:

Might it be prudent to change “changeme” to something like “replace me with the WiFi password of your choice” to at least emphasize the importance of that step?

You assume that people leaving changeme unchanged have a better password than 'password'. Well maybe they have but usually is not better than changeme :stuck_out_tongue: . I've changed the password in the guilde to 'changemeplox' since changeme is too common and is prolly included in every small bruteforce list.

https://setuprouter.com/common-passwords/

We must also consider that this is no guide for newbies. Simply even to get to a point where it's usable you need to:

• buy a supported router
  • know that you can install a custom firmware
  • decide that you want to install custom firmware
  • find the OpenWrt page :slight_smile:
  • be able to find a build for your model, download it and flash it
  • need an upgrade that is a serious upgrade and you cant just keep config
  • know that you cant just keep config
  • find a guide
  • use ssh, winscp, putty

So I guess if that person leaves changemeplox then meh. You also assumed my good intent :slight_smile:

Yea not happy with killer. Also the tcp configuration mess was not MS fault maybe. I've used the excellent tcpoptimizer https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php where you can see your settings/ms settings/optimal. And my settings were way off default, I sure didn't change them so its prolly Killer software that did that.
Their services are kept in memory for nothing and utilize like 1% of cpu maybe more - doing nothing.

Will check smb settings, thanks.

1 Like