Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Welcome aboard, and glad you are liking it. I'm in IT as well (not retired yet), and started in the Madrake days when it first came out. Through the years I've always stuck with linux, but have never really been any more than a power user/administrator, as I've never got into development or engineering. However, though I stay fairly busy I usually find the time to compile OpenWrt Snapshots and upload them to the website, and every once in a while try to help solve a user issue. I usually upload builds once every 2 weeks, but will either bump that time up or spread it out depending. So, keep checking back from time to time, and download new builds as they come out.

Best Regards.

David

2 Likes

If your setting SQM for QoS gaming wise so bufferbloat is not an issue then your current way of setup is rather complex to say the least.

Now for me being a Online gamer where latency is not allowed to go above 50ms I use SQM, set to my WAN connection (no need to bounce it off every other interface)

Now in my case I am in VDSL FTTC 40/6.2 using pppoe.

Cake
Piece of cake
ECN on both Ingress and egress
Ingress: nat dual-dsthost mpu 64 pppoe-ptm
Egress: nat dual-srchost mpu 64 pppoe-ptm
DSCP set to do not squash and ignore

Ingress is set to 92% of my sync
Egress is set to 85% of my sync.

With just them settings set, I can have 4k YouTube @60 FPS a 1080p YouTube @ 30fps, host a VOIP server and play online games with my latency only increasing to a max of 35ms from 14ms without issues. But your milage will vary as each internet connection is different.

I am not even using any extra steps to prioritize ports a simply SQM QoS pointed at WAN fire and forget with A+ across the board on dslreports and decent results back on speedtest-cli from router out.

2 Likes

I play hardlined and i guess i have my egress figured out but ingress needs some work i think... Its hard to find good info on that side of things

DM me your syncs and connection type i.e is it ADSL VDSL or DOCSiS3 /3.1

1 Like

Netem will out work from a seperate device, not on the local machine.

txqueuelen, qlen, etc only has an affect for certain qdiscs (great article about tx queues).

1 Like

Prioritizing ports via firewall rules on egress seems to work fine with default sqm but on ingress it doesn't work out of the box afaik.
You could try the veth method which is described over here:

Currently I'm using layer_cake@diffserv4 and some port based rules for egress as it doesn't seem to be easy to get DSCP marks working for ingress. I can't wait for a user friendly solution for the ingress...

Btw why are you using netem for your ps4? Are you trying to add extra latency?

Yeah I guess I use it not just for Latency on ifb4eth1.2 but also to duplicate outgoing packets... It seems to make my bullets faster

I've read the veth post before but that's like trying to configure for your whole network... All I want is complete priority to my PS4. Ingress and egress although i think i have egress figured out because my bullets register fast in game. Ingress on the other hand is key to eating bullets which i cant seem to figure out exactly right... Need balance between the two...

Thank you all for your help

Good afternoon everybody and Davidc502,
Is there a way to set the radio0-Tx Pwr to 32dBm (1.6W) or 33dBm (2W) for my router wrt1900ac-ver1 ?
In combination to some settings (country), is there another driver that allow this router to transmit 1.6W ? I have TWO EXACTLY SAME routers placed in 2 adjacent thick concrete-buildings, and want to have a tiny bit more of tx power with these 2 (server <-> client). Thank you so much for your help.
PS: The power adapter of this router is HUGE (ample power, allow up to 48W DC total, says 50% for the radios output, that's a reservoir of 24W).
Wrt1900ACv1 Marvell 88W8864 (Mamba)
Model Linksys WRT1900AC
Architecture ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
Firmware Version OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r12570-f68c48f7dd / LuCI Master git-20.074.84698-03af89a
Kernel Version 4.19.108
Radio0 (2.4GHz) Max Transmit Power 30dBm
(openwrt-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt1900ac-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin)

kmod-mwlwifi - 4.19.108+10.3.8.0-20200206-1
mwlwifi-firmware-88w8864 - 10.3.8.0-20200206-1
mwlwifi-firmware-88w8897 - 10.3.8.0-20200206-1
mwlwifi-firmware-88w8964 - 10.3.8.0-20200206-1

Mesh networking?

For various reasons I currently own 1x wrt1900ac v2, and 2x wrt3200acm. I currently use 1x wrt3200acm as my home wifi router. As I understand it, the mwlwifi firmware for the wrt1900ac v2, and the mwlwifi firmware wrt3200acm does not support any sort of mesh networking (802.11s). So what is the next best thing that I can do with these devices to improve connectivity for the far reaches of my home? My son (upstairs, opposite end of our home from the wifi router, stuck at home while quarantined) would love to improve his ping time for gaming. He complains his wifi connection and ping time sucks rocks. Does WDS work? Ad hoc? Plug his PC via RJ45 into a wrt3200acm setup as a wifi bridge in client mode connected to the master wifi router? Throw them all away and buy cheap Archer C7s from TP-Link and setup a proper mesh network around the home? Thoughts?

Although this is not Mesh networking, i have been able to use a GL.iNet AC750 in STA to connect to the WRT32X i have to make a Ethernet -> Wireless <-> Wireless (WRT32X) -> Internet, which works great.

So you could try that setup, this would allow you to at least get a connection for your son to the internet.

All you would need to do is set lan as a static ip with no DHCP on the router your son is going to connect to via ethernet and let the master do the DHCP'ing etc.

Thank you, Davidc502 for still maintaining our devices.
Been on 3yr old Lede and upgraded to your latest build. :slight_smile:

Two minor issues:
USB HDD with NTFS is mounted as read/only drive even if ntfs-3g is specified.
Had to use mount -o noatime,async,big_writes -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 to make it work
At least all packages are available out of the box comparing to old Lede.

Another problem I noticed - with uhttpd, since it has HTTPS support enabled: There are CPU spikes visible in HTOP - up to 20% every 2-3 seconds.
I tried to trace it down and it came up related to HTTPS support, since disabling it (cert/keys options) resolved the issue.

1 Like

Hi all.
Thinking its about time to upgrade to the latest build. But there have been a number of posts saynh that WiFi with the new blob is less stable and guest network support has vanished. What's your take David - have u experienced any of these?
All the best

I haven't had any problems here, but I don't use a guest network ether.

@waynea I use Guest Network, and its working fine on the new blobs. The issue is only 2 SSID's are working per radio adding any more will simply break Wifi till the 3rd/4th/5th etc are removed.

So in other Words

Wireless setup such as

5Ghz OpenWRT-AP and OpenWRT-Guest
2.4Ghz OpenWRT-AP2 and OpenWRT-Guest2

Will work without issue however

5Ghz OpenWRT-AP , OpenWRT-Guest and OpenWRT-Guest1
2.4Ghz OpenWRT-AP2 , OpenWRT-Guest2 and OpenWRT-Guest3

Will not work, SSID's can be anything though just remember that.

I still haven't been able to get more than one SSID on 2.4 ghz (I only have one SSID on 5GHz) working on my WRT3200ACM.

@waynea, it doesn't hurt to try. Keep a backup of your current firmware and settings and you can just flash back to it if you have problems.

Just a thought, what are the BSSIDS of the 3 networks when you set them up?
This chipset needs them all to be within a mask of each other or it will stop working.
Edit: looked it up, mask is FD:FF:FF:FF:FF:F0

With the GL.iNet AC750 i just connected to the wifi just like any phone or computer. Didn't need to enter in BSSID's it just Worked, Same with my TP-Link W8980 which is basically also a dummy AP.

That's not what I'm talking about...
Setup the 3 networks, and check the 3 Mac addresses are within the same mask of each other. The first one (either wlan0 or wlan1) defines the starting address.

If you're not sure, post the 3 Mac addresses here.

I get you know

Here is the Mac Address for the ones that work normally

60:38:E0:CE:37:5A (5Ghz)
60:38:E0:CE:37:59 (5Ghz)
60:38:E0:CE:37:59 (2.4Ghz)
62:38:E0:CE:37:58 (2.4Ghz)

Now the 3rd on on 2.4Ghz is

62:38:E0:CE:37:57

However with the 3rd one in place the 2.4Ghz Wireless although shows the SSID's for the original one doesn't for the new one and doesn't allow any devices to connect.

However deleting the 3rd SSID on 2.4Ghz everything goes back to normal. its the same on 5Ghz.

Try manually setting the 2.4 MACs to
60:38:e0:ce:37:59
62:38:e0:ce:37:5a
62:38:e0:ce:37:5b

Make sure that the first network to come up gets the address starting with 60. I think they're evaluated in order in /etc/config/wireless
If that works, worth trying on 5ghz too (different addresses obviously).

The symptoms of this issue are exactly as you describe. The SSID is visible, but the driver filters the packets out of the receive chain because they don't match the required mask.