Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

The tweak is to fix latency in Wifi for the 1200ac when gaming. All other forms of hardware are not affected by this tweak.

To be honest I don't know. How would I go about finding that out? I have libopenssl installed by the way. Would you have any idea how to proceed? My setup really depends on being able to mount via cryptsetup

It could be those .ko files failed to compile. However, you can boot back to the other partition, and try again at the next built which will be in less than 2 weeks. Other option would be to try and install the modules you need from the openwrt repository, and see if that works.

Hi there,
has anyone got wpa3 working on a wrt1900acs v2???

I just changed my settings to "wpa2 psk / wpa 3 sae" after installing wpad-openssl and rebooting the device, but the wifi-device is flapping and no device is connecting ... strange ...

Regards,
Andreas

WPA3 requires 802.11w to run.

802.11w is broken. [1] [2]

Thus WPA3 won't work. [3]

[1] https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/320
[2] https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/362
[3]

We can't fix it because encryption is handled in mwlwifi's firmware which hasn't been updated since 2016/17 and is proprietary.
We can work around it by disabling hardware encryption (theoretically, have yet to look in to the code if we can do this). But overall throughput will suffer.

2 Likes

I'm testing WAP3-SAE only setting on a WRT32X and WRT1900ACS v2 and indeed has issues on master, on OpneWrt v19.07.0-rc1 WRT32X wap3 works but has issues with mobile devices that do not disconnect, and on the WRT1900ACS v2 wap3 works perfect. Tested on the OpenWrt 19.07.0-rc1 images removing -wapd-basic and installing +wpad-openssl

What I don't understand: lsmod and modprobe both show that algif_skcipher is already loaded. If that is the case what module am I even missing? I'm afraid I don't understand what is actually wrong...

Does IPv6 still work? I've found that I can't ping out to IPv6 addresses on my 1900ACSv2/v1-UK.

It can still assign ULAs, but IPv6 SLAAC doesn't work anymore.

Just one follow up: if I install an old version of cryptsetup build with openssl support (cryptsetup-openssl_2.0.5-1) and its corresponding dependencies (libopenssl1.0.0_1.0.2p-1, libjson-c2_0.12.1-3) from one of your older builds, then mounting my encrypted hdd works again. Far from optimal but so far working at least.

1 Like

Dear Dave,
Hello - I know that I have been speaking with you about devcryto. I
believe that this is the method to achieve the devcrypto engine is built into libcrypto.
See below :

CONFIG_GNUTLS_CRYPTODEV=y
CONFIG_OPENSSL_ENGINE=y
CONFIG_OPENSSL_ENGINE_BUILTIN=y
CONFIG_OPENSSL_ENGINE_BUILTIN_DEVCRYPTO=y

Now, you may already use these settings in your builds. However,
the only reason I have been persistent in communicating with you about this
is that you stated :

"For devcrypto.. the long story short 
is it doesn't work as expected. Meaning you can use dynamic 
and get the same performance. If you found out a secret formula to 
devcrypto that makes it perform better than dynamic please let me know."

So I went out and tried to find that secret formula that you mentioned.
So, as I mentioned to you earlier - Patrik told me that ( see below ) :

for me, the dev crypto, works
besides even if it is the same throughtpout, it is it 
not using the cpu for encryption, but the chips. 
so the cpu uses less workload, for sure.

So, in conclusion I am just trying to make sense as to why
there seems to be a difference of opinions regarding the
performance benefits and way that devcrypto impacts overall
hardware acceleration and encryption.

Anyway, I hope that I was of some small assistance.

Peace

@davidc502 This may seem like an odd request - but would you by any chance be able to include (re-nice) in your builds? It makes a huge difference as it is used in the most recent SMB builds to lower the priority of the samba daemons and prevent router shutdown during heavy loads.

Not sure about this, i never actually got a report of this happening. The renice stuff was more of a "can't hurt" idea i picked up from one of the original init files. I probably should rework this to procd logic and add a luci option field for it.

Fair enough then! I think this is the only change I make to my own build - might as well jump ship to this one and give it a shot.

@directnupe

Responded back in messenger ---

I'll check into libopenssl-devcrypto more tonight, and double check some of those configurations above.

Thanks,

David

Dear Dave -
Thanks for your diligence, patience and professionalism regarding this matter.

Peace

1 Like

hi guys, I have the lastest build for WRT32X (release date 2019-11-23 21:49) and, although at the david's web says that "LuCi Rosy theme is installed by default", is not like that. Only atmaterial and bootstrap themes are installed by default, isn't it?

Is there a problem with rosy and the latest build of dave's website?

1 Like

Thanks for the information, and I've corrected the website to say Atmaterial.

As far as I know there are no issues with Rosy, so feel free to switch if you like that theme more.

I have a problem with the default theme. The build is newly installed and these buttons come out as in the attached image. How can I fix them?

wrt32x

Not sure if this was mentioned, but the 5GHz channel is randomized every restart regardless if I specify it. I tried setting the noscan to 1, but to no avail. Can anyone provide insight on this?

Could it be DFS detecting a radar? What channel are you configuring, and which country do you live?