Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

@davidc502 I know my posting is off topic, but maybe kernel 4.19 brings some improvements on the wifi side...
wrt1900acs v2 kernel 4.19 + adblock activ runs smoothly until now, test on Mate 10 Pro channel 40, 80mhz.

!

2 Likes

The answer to this is a clear and firm "no" (with >99% certainty).

Wireless drivers in OpenWrt are not taken from the base kernel, but using backports from newer kernels <-- these have been on v4.19.32 since september 2018 (well, initially some previous v4.19.x based backports). In case of the wrt1200ac/ wrt1900acx/ wrt3200acm/ wrt32x, the situation is even more obvious, as the mwlwifi driver/ firmware isn't part of the mainline kernel at all - meaning they're directly taken from their (no longer really developed) upstream repository, changing the base kernel underneath them has very little chance of changing the wlan situation (non-zero, but very little; new regressions are more likely, given that maintenance of mwlwifi has stalled).

2 Likes

Which is a shame, if only it was still maintained on the mwlwifi driver side.

@tojestzart

Thanks for the heads-up... I fixed the community builds area. All the links were broken and had an old release date.

Thanks,

David

@oli

Speed tests for wifi have been good here too. I'm getting about 500mbps down and abut 400mbps up on speedtest.net. This is for 5Ghz 80mhz width on channel 161.

VPN speed tests have been the same as before. This is where openwrt is the client, and is connecting via openVPN to a server. All LAN traffic is tunneled through to the other side. I'm getting around 80mbps down and 130mbps up. For VPN those are good speeds. Not great, but good.

We have 1 test user who is having VPN slowness since testing the new kernel. I've asked some questions about the setup and am waiting to hear back.

We have 1 1900ac Version 1 user who has been testing without issue. I've asked him/her to watch for random reboots just in case, but have not heard anything back yet which is a good thing.

2 Likes

The only issue that I am aware of on the mamba, there is a work-around as indicated in that thread, but for a community build I think it would be best done with per device rootfs; and it existed pre 4.19 push.

Hi @davidc502 any news on your 4.19 builds for testing?

@solidus1983
I.M has been sent.

1 Like

@davidc502 @solidus1983 I changed the legacy rate and the encryption as suggested.. still no luck. I also changed the channel from auto to 48 and HTmode to VHT40. None of these actions seem to help 5ghz wireless come up.

@Shrieram

The only other thing I see is "config wifi-iface" for radio0.

remove 'default_radio0' that comes after config wifi-iface. and reboot.

Everything else is looking good. If that does not work you might try deleting radio0 in LuCi and then adding it back, and then re-configuring. But that is strange because at this point it should be working.

Did you say 5Ghz radio was working for the stock Linksys Firmware?

One other thing to do would be to disable 5Ghz wifi and then re-enable. From there go over to your System and Kernel logs and copy all the wifi logs. There may be something there that would indicate why it isn't coming up.

Right Kernel 4.19 i am having no issues with and some good news for everyone else.

The Arrow issues in firewall etc has now been resolved on @davidc502 next build it will be fixed no more running of scripts to fix the issue.

I have uploaded the new releases directly to Github, Follow the instructions to install them.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hello solidus1983,
When will be implemented this theme in official OpenWrt sources?
I installed this theme on my wrt1900acs v2 and it works all right!

1 Like

I haven't even thought about putting it for official OpenWRT as the original theme I based this set from has been waiting awhile and never got put in. Not only that it's not 100% yet.

For now all the bugs are fixed that has recently occured and that means I can study more on lua .CSS so I can scratch build a theme that if proven worth I would then but forward.

2 Likes

Your theme makes OpenWrt feel like a nicer and more modern experience. It's funny when LEDE and OpenWrt remereged it was supposed to accelerate progress again, and now it feels slow as ever. I don't want to sound ungrateful, I love OpenWrt, but no major release in a year is ridiculous you almost have to run Davidc502 builds off Master branch now for mvebu. They should have merged your excellent theme too. Add to that mwlwifi being abandoned by Marvel with no way for others to improve it, and you have what feels like a stagnant progress.

1 Like

There really is not point as of yet to get OpenWRT to take the theme in to any branch, its not completely fixed.

I like the fact that people are enjoying the theme as much as i am fixing the bugs which there are many just noticed 3 thus far base on mobile browsing and a few pages where the adding text area is way to big and pushing other stuff out of its area.

As my understand of how the .css now works (Last time i did this was when i was using notepad in Windows 98 days to make websites) it will improve to where there will be colour choices making it more fitting. But it all takes time.

1 Like

Q: Just bought a wrt32x to test and flashed latest build. Router picks up an IP from ISP and can ping out. Computer picks up an IP from router but has no internet access. I expected default settings to work -- am I missing something that needs to be manually done to open the network? Firewall, routing?

Edit: I flashed stable openwrt and it works as expected. There might be a problem with david's latest build that you'll only see with a fresh install without keeping settings. Someone else double check me!

Edit: david sent me a new build which works, so the current release is broken for wrt32x, but the good news is that the releases before it and after it work :wink:

@ibex-are-goats Have you checked your system firewall, if you using a 3rd party sometimes IDS (Intrusion Detection System) will kick off and block everything, I am running on a WRT32X without this issue although each system connecting to it is different.

First check your System's firewall see if thats not blocking else log into the WebGUI restart your connection to the router and copy paste the kernel.log and system.log (Please remove sensitive info) into here.

Edit: Right everyone, i have made it so that both git repo's for the themes has Devel again to which you can update via a script in ssh, I am currently working on fixes for the linksysmaterial theme.

To apply the new fixes and test them out simply log into ssh and run the following commands

touch fixescss.sh
chmod +x fixescss.sh
nano fixescss.sh

then paste in

#/bin/bash!
rm /www/luci-static/atmaterial/cascade.css && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/solidus1983/luci-theme-atmaterial/devel/luci/themes/luci-theme-atmaterial/htdocs/luci-static/atmaterial/cascade.css -O /www/luci-static/atmaterial/cascade.css
rm /www/luci-static/linksysmaterial/cascade.css && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/solidus1983/luci-theme-linksysmaterial/devel/luci/themes/luci-theme-linksysmaterial/htdocs/luci-static/linksysmaterial/cascade.css -O /www/luci-static/linksysmaterial/cascade.css
/etc/init.d/uhttpd restart

Lastly press CTRL+O to save the file and issue the last command

./fixescss.sh

This will delete the original cascade.css file from each of the themes and download the latest version in its place.

So far i am working on making everything look better in both normal and mobile views on linksysmaterial theme and i would like your input.

@Shrieram
I am not an expert but I seem to remember that unlike the 2.4 GHz radio the 5 GHZ radio of my WRT3200ACM will not show any BitRates unless a device is connected to it.

One of my WRT3200ACM's with no device connected to it.

Have you tried to connect a device to it? Sorry I have not been following all your posts so maybe this question is out of order.

There are some android (or apple) apps that can show your WIFI area and all the APs etc. . I use WiFiman from Ubiquiti Networks, simple and easy to use.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Your correct in 5GHz doesn't show any nitrate info till a client connects which should be the case on all wireless frequencies.

@ibex-are-goats

To take DNS out of the equation, ping 1.1.1.1 from the router OR from a connected device.

Is there anything in the System or Kernel logs to indicate an issue?