D-Link DIR-860L B1 new firmware not working

Hi,
I downloaded the openwrt-21.02.1-ramips-mt7621-dlink_dir-860l-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin but the router won't upgrade to the 21.02 version. It keeps giving an error:

Device dir-860l-b1 not supported by this image Supported devices: dlink,dir-860l-b1 dir-860l-b1 - Image version mismatch: image 1.1, device 1.0. Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Reason: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed.

Please help!

Router model is:

Model D-Link DIR-860L B1
Architecture MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3

You might back up your current config and use it as a guide to reconfigure 21.02.1 before proceeding with the force.

its not a matter of config. New firmware is not compatible!

Reason: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed.

Can you give me more details on how to do this?

pierre, the 860 is a practically non-brickable device, since D-Link has fitted it with an emergency flash option in the boot sector.

just use this recovery-boot option from D-Link (just as when you have installed OpenWRT for the first time) and install the factory image of OpenWRT again.

2 Likes

you mean boot in safe mode and install the new firmware? will this work?
I forced installed the upgrade.sys and it didnt work!

I meant installing 21.02 the same way as you have installed previous versions using the factory image.

There is even documentation available for the 860l covering that device-specific step: https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-860l_b1#recovery_mode