D-Link DIR-860L B1 new firmware not working

Hi,
I downloaded the openwrt-21.02.1-ramips-mt7621-dlink_dir-860l-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin but the router won't upgrade to the 21.02 version. It keeps giving an error:

Device dir-860l-b1 not supported by this image Supported devices: dlink,dir-860l-b1 dir-860l-b1 - Image version mismatch: image 1.1, device 1.0. Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Reason: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed.

Please help!

Router model is:

Model D-Link DIR-860L B1
Architecture MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3

You might back up your current config and use it as a guide to reconfigure 21.02.1 before proceeding with the force.

its not a matter of config. New firmware is not compatible!

Reason: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed.

Can you give me more details on how to do this?

pierre, the 860 is a practically non-brickable device, since D-Link has fitted it with an emergency flash option in the boot sector.

just use this recovery-boot option from D-Link (just as when you have installed OpenWRT for the first time) and install the factory image of OpenWRT again.

2 Likes

you mean boot in safe mode and install the new firmware? will this work?
I forced installed the upgrade.sys and it didnt work!

I meant installing 21.02 the same way as you have installed previous versions using the factory image.

There is even documentation available for the 860l covering that device-specific step: https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-860l_b1#recovery_mode

Hi,

Sorry for reviving a old thread but I got the same problem. Running a OpenWRT 18.X on two DIR 860L B1 for years but now I wanted to upgrade one of them to OpenWRT 22.X. I get the same error that the firmware is not compatible.

So good to know that I can't brick it with forcing the upgrade. But why is that image still not compatible with OpenWRT 22?

In the Changelog fpr OpenWRT 22 is see this:

Upgrading to 22.03.3
Sysupgrade can be used to upgrade a device from OpenWrt 21.02 or 22.03 to 22.03.3 and configuration will be preserved in most cases.

:!: Sysupgrade from 19.07 to 22.03 is not supported.

:!: There is no migration path for targets that switched from swconfig to DSA. In that case, sysupgrade will refuse to proceed with an appropriate error message:
Image version mismatch. image 1.1 device 1.0 Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed

So that means it should work by upgrading from OpenWRT 18 to 19, 19 to 21, 21 to 22? Or isn't that possible at all because I'm using swconfig and that isn't compatible with DSA anymore?
Should I then boot the D-Link Bootloader and flash a new factory firmware instead of uploading a sysupgrde firmware in Luci WebUI?

Both methods should work, imho, just reset the device during upgrade.

Can confirm.

I got the same warning when I tried to upgrade from OpenWrt 19.07.4 to 23.05.0 (using a sysupgrade image).

So I followed the instructions @Pico linked to go into recovery mode and flash the latest factory image (23.05.0), and it worked like a charm.

I have the exact same model as OP (D-Link DIR860L B1).