D-Link Dir-842 - can't access firmware upload form

Thanks. What is the best OpenWRT firmware to install on this router? I'm not sure 5 GHZ is needed but what's definitely needed is a GUI. How can I be sure I have enough RAM to install Luci on the latest snapshot I used?

According to the 842 page the router is equipped with 16 MB of flash and 128 MB of RAM but free -h shows only

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         123288       15604       97496          68       10188       78740
Swap:             0           0           0

Does this command simply not show the amount of flash RAM? Or should I go back to a stable version and not use a snapshot? Apparently I still have a lot to learn about OpenWRT.

https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/d-link_dir-842#installation

As long as the devicepage shows only "snapshot" as current release, there is only a snapshot image available. Snapshots come without LuCI, you have to install LuCI yourself.

I've installed Luci manually as tmomas suggested but I'm still confused about DHCP. As mentioned above the 842 acts as an access point that extends the main router's (AVM Fritzbox 7490) WLAN which apparently means I'm using bridged mode.

'Interfaces > LAN > General Settings > Protocol' is set to static address. 'Network > Interface' shows WAN and WAN6 on eth.02 with Protocol: DHCP client and 'Network > DHCP and DNS' has all boxes checked. So is the DHCP server enabled or not?

As we ware drifting further and further away from the initial topic, please open a new topic for your new questions.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.