Cyrillic is not displayed in "Hostname" OpenWrt

Cyrillic is not displayed in "Hostname", instead a question mark. What packages need to be installed yet, like everything is worth?

Dnsmasq and odhcpd will ignore non-ascii hostnames sent in DHCP requests.

2 Likes

Please see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc952 for reference which characters are allowed in hostnames, it's fairly restrictive and basically [a-z0-9\-] only (with additional rules about where digits and hyphens are allowed at all, e.g. not as the first character). While some of these restrictions have been lifted in https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1123, rfc952 is still the lowest common denominator.

3 Likes

Does it mean that no package can display Hostnames in Cyrillic either?

This means you should not use hostnames containing cyrillic charachters :wink:
You may run in trouble beyond this effect in the UI.
This is not a restriction of OpenWRT but of all network services and devices which comply to these standards (what means: Every device/service which wants to be a participant of global/standardized networks like the internet).

4 Likes

Short story to that (that's the way I learned how to name hosts):
Once I accidentaly named a new server with an underscore instead of a hyphen.
Everything was working fine - DHCP, DNS, ... until I tried to install a database server (I think it was Informix). The DBMS crashed during initilization because the hostname was not fine with the standards mentioned above.
Renaming the host did the trick and I could go on with installing the database.

It's not a displaying issue, the non-standards compliant hostnames are outright rejected and ignored by dnsmasq. As matsch implied, non-standards compliant hostnames do cause real issues on your network, some subtile (like the perceived (not-)displaying issue above) or real breakage, which may be hard to diagnose.

3 Likes

But on RouterOS in Mikrotik everything works correctly. Can't you do that in OpenWRT?

No we can't since we do not implement that proprietary mikrotik protocol.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.