Custom x86_64 hardware with N4100 and I226-V

Hello folks,

First time using the forum of OpenWrt, please disregard if I do anything wrong or ask any silly questions. So I'm about to receive a custom mini-PC with the following hardware specification:

CPU: Intel N4100
RAM: 8GB
NIC: Intel I226-V (4 ports)
Features: AES-NI, x86-64, VT-d

Then I used Gemini Advance to optimize the packages list in Firmware Selector (FS) of OpenWrt (OW) so that I can request build my image, forgot to mention it was 23.05.3 version, the AI gave me answers which I used to combine with the original packages list of OW for this version and it looked like this:

base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear e2fsprogs firewall4 fstools grub2-bios-setup kmod-amazon-ena kmod-amd-xgbe kmod-bnx2 kmod-button-hotplug kmod-e1000 kmod-e1000e kmod-forcedeth kmod-fs-vfat kmod-igb kmod-igc kmod-ixgbe kmod-nft-offload kmod-r8169 kmod-tg3 libc libgcc libustream-mbedtls logd luci mkf2fs mtd netifd nftables odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg partx-utils ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd luci-app-sqm-scripts luci-app-sqm-qos kmod-rtl8125b kmod-crypto-aesni kmod-virt kmod-ipq806x iptables-nft ip6tables-nft luci-app-mwan3

Unfortunately, the FS generated errors with:

Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-crypto-aesni.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-ipq806x.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-rtl8125b.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-virt.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-sqm-qos.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-sqm-scripts.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:189: package_install] Error 255
make[1]: *** [Makefile:154: _call_manifest] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:274: manifest] Error 2

I personally think these packages that I added into the original firmware of x86_64 were included either in the packages themselves or kernel of the OW version.

So my question is: "Should I only use the pre-built firmware of OpenWrt 23.05.3 to install to my hardware or what packages did I miss/wrongly added to the firmware?". Please verify the packages for me and I'll correct on the next time when I request the build.

Thank you community!

Your hardware is supported by generic x86/64 image.
For the rest: A note about using ChatGPT for OpenWrt Answers

1 Like

Thank you for the answer, the purpose of using Gemini I think for the initial start of most of the technical perspectives, of course I do know there are flaws, but you're also right, with those flaws combining with my experience from failed attempts when requesting the builds, it taught me something and when I asked for something, things are going to be nearly happy ending already. :smiley:

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.3&target=x86%2F64&id=generic

Any combined image - EFI or BIOS boot, Squashfs or Ext4 filesystem, nothing to build.

1 Like

Since this is custom hardware and I have plenty of storage so I'm thinking of using EXT4 as file system format, searched across Google and it told me only use SquashFS if it's a brand device which has limitation on the storage, is it correct?

Correct!!! You already beat your gpt zombies.
Start here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-start/start

1 Like

Awesome, my home setup is something like this:

1. I have 2 ISPs and am using mwan3 in OpenWrt to combine the speed of these connections, the setup is done with Dual Stack IPv4 & 6, this OW router is connected with the Firewall below. Policies of mwan3 are configured with pointing the 3724 port to a specific WAN optimized for latency of World of Warcraft.
  2. Another Firewall running OPNsense to utilize the security matters and make use of Unbound DNS for DNS over TLS with Google and Cloudflare. It also serves as DHCP and Security Gateway to protect me from threats in Internet. Thing is, I want to leverage all IPv4 & 6 which I cannot simply use OPNsense to setup, it only allows me to have 2 IPv4 and 1 IPv6 of a tracking WAN interface.
  3. An Access Point (AP) from ASUS which is Wireless Router previously but since I'm having the OPNsense, so I made it as AP to let it focus on providing wireless access for my home network.
  4. A 2.5 Gbps switch to distribute link-speed across wired device including my gaming rig.

If there is anything you see can improve this topology, please do let me know so I can configure it for better serve my home.

Thank you!

It is out of scope of OpenWRT,

1. i'd install Debian (or one of Redhat clones) as a KVM host and run all components in virtual machines. WoW is not the FPS that you die for frames. OpeWRT package mwan3 can satisfy such policy.
  2. OpenWRT can do it too.
  3. Nice if that runs OpenWRT, then you can use wifi and still have isolated 4-5 port switch and save a buck or dozen on switch.
  4. Just consider double Cat6 cabling, you can use LACP while at gigabit ports and grow to 2.5Gbps when comfortable.
1 Like

Appreciate your consultancy, I did try using virtualization solution to utilize a HP Z440 Workstation like you said using Hyper-V or VMware Workstation Pro but it was too complicated since it did not recognize 2.5 Gbps PCI-E card I purchased exclusively for the machine. Perhaps I should learn more about Linux since I'm Windows head here for so long. Would be nice if you can prepare any kinds of documentation that I can play around? I do love technology and learn new things but if it takes much more of the efforts that I can give, then I cannot work for living anymore, brother. :joy:

KVM is in the range of standalone ESXi.

1 Like

Try proxmox (I run openwrt, omada controller and others under proxmox on a N100 box). Proxmox provides a nice GUI but under the hood it uses qemu/KVM tech.

2 Likes

Adding to debian https://github.com/kimchi-project/kimchi/releases

I used Proxmox once and realized it was more complicated than ESXi as well :sweat_smile:
By the way, does Proxmox recognize the 2.5 Gbps NIC? There was one time I was thinking of having Proxmox and combined the OpenWrt <-> OPNsense <-> TrueNAS, then Ethernet out 2 x 2.5 Gbps or NIC Teaming (LACP) to a switch supports IEEE 802.3ad but my humble knowledge for configuring Proxmox was a disaster when I wanted to do something I couldn't achieve :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

You need to search pci ID of card against linux kernel modules.

1 Like

Proxmox default kernel keeps adding more support to common hardware, well it's no harm to boot with the installer and see how far it goes.

Then it's time for you to work with Proxmox community.

1 Like

Simple web search provided me everything I needed. Passthrough of my WAN netword adapter needed some kernel parameter change (I use MSI cubi based on N100, it has 1GB ports only though). I never needed to post an email to their mailing list, but you can definitely do that if you need help.

2 Likes

Guess what, I received the Mini-PC, it has 4 x 2.5 Gbps Ethernets and the the total speed I got was 1.3 Gbps to the Internet... I normally get nearly 2.5 Gbps with mwan3 for the internet through my Nano Pi R5S (I have 2 lines of Internet connections, one is 1 Gbps and one is unlimited depend on how my device can handle).

I'm suspecting the speed of the CPU in this new mini-PC cannot handle the full speed of the NIC it has, does anyone have any idea?

You are more than welcome to start a new thread, likely answer is irqbalance, but this was only to get you off from chadgpt bubble.

1 Like

Start with htop, if it doesn't reveal the issue, start a new thread.

1 Like

Sorry but I don't use ChatGPT for this one.

Will try.

Thought starting a new thread with the same topic could cause me as spam or something like that :joy:. I just don't know where to start the new thread if I'm going to do so. :sweat_smile:

I did try htop, and saw 4 cores were running during the SpeedTest.net but don't know I miss something e.g. drivers or a package which utilizes all of the performance of this piece of hardware, the seller of this PC told me he only tested it with his single Internet connection and below 1 Gbps.