Cubietruck upgrading issue

Hi,

I am new to OpenWrt. Installed OpenWrt 18.06.01 on a Cubietech Cubietruck board. The first installation is just writing the right OpenWrt image to the SD card in Windows, then configured it from the default IP address 192.168.1.1 and it went smoothly. When the 18.06.02 came out I tried to upgrade it by re-write the 18.06.02 image to the same SD-card, but after reboot the router I can't connect to the default IP address 192.168.1.1, after some trying I managed to connect my browser at the IP address of the previous installation (192.168.3.1) Isn't it supposed to be a new installation and everything should be at the default? (I even tried to delete every partition and MBR on the SD card and re-write the 18.06.02 image but the same). Also after I connected the browser at the old IP address the packages are still using the 18.06.01 version 4.14.63-1. The firmware displayed as 18.06.02. Also I can't remove/reinstall the new packages for my USB Ethernet dongle in 18.06.02. Something I did wrong? What's the right way to upgrade OpenWrt? I tried to search Google and this forum but didn't get much.

Please help. Thanks.

The output of mount may provide some clues, along with that of cat /proc/mtd

1 Like

It depends on the way you chose to upgrade.
Did you upgrade from Luci or SSH? There are in both cases options to keep or discard the current configurations.

I do not really understand: Did the sysupgrade upgrade the kernel, at least, but NOT installed packages ? Or did it no upgrade at all ?
Asking, because I already filed a bug report regarding incomplete sysupgrade, or no sysupgrade at all.
As you are also using SD, it might be a similar case.

It is not using sysupgrade inside luci. I am writing a brand new 18.06.02 image into the same sd card (deleted the previous installed partitions) to replace the previous 18.06.01 version. But it didn't work. I am still connected to my own IP address instead of the default 192.168.1.1. And packages installed in the previous version still there. And can't remove/add new packages. It's different from your case. But thanks anyway.

It is not using sysupgrade inside luci. I am writing a brand new 18.06.02 image into the same sd card (from Windows 10, deleted the previous installed partitions) to replace the previous 18.06.01 version. It supposed to be a new installation. But it didn't work. I am still connected to my own IP address instead of the default 192.168.1.1. And packages installed in the previous version still there. And can't remove/add new packages. It's different from your case. But thanks anyway.

Thanks Jeff. I don't' have /proc/mtd. What should I looking for in mount output?

Could you describe how you are doing this? Which program are you using to dump the image on the SD?

I took the sd card out from the Cubietruck board and put it into a USB sd card reader/writer, plug it into Windows 10. Used Etcher (recommended by OpenWrt, Also tried Rufus) in Windows 10 to write the 18.06.02 image into the sd card. Same as when I wrote 18.06.01 image into the same sd card before which worked correctly. But this newly wrote sd card didn't work as expected. It looks like still using old configurations and packages. I can't figure out where it picked up my old configurations from. Before I wrote the sd card I deleted the old partitions on the sd card.

My guess is that the SD was not properly wiped, or another partition containing the settings was left intact.
Does cubietruck have another internal flash memory?
Can you post her the output of mount command to verify the partitions used?

Yes there is a internal 8GB NAND flash storage in the Cubietruck. The mount output is:

/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/loop0 on /overlay type f2fs (rw,lazytime,noatime,background_gc=on,no_heap,user_xattr,inline_xattr,inline_data,inline_dentry,flush_merge,extent_cache,mode=adaptive,active_logs=6)
overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)

Which one is the NAND partition?

It must be the overlay.
What is the output of ls -la /dev/loop0 ?

The output is:

brw------- 1 root root 7, 0 Jan 1 1970 /dev/loop0

How to erase it?

Doesn't firstboot work?

Tried firstboot to erase configurations, re-flashed the SD card with 18.06.2 image, put the SD card into the router then applied power, but there is no responses from the default IP address 192.168.1.1 nor the previous IP 192.168.3.1. This is tricky.

Connect monitor and keyboard or console to check what is going on there.

1 Like

The pre-built OpenWrt image doesn't support monitor and USB keyboard on Cubietruck board. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Add the packages for USB HID for keyboard and mouse. Hope that there are ones for video.

Can't add packages before I can actually boot the device into OpenWrt and login to it it the default IP address. Looks this is a hard distro. Used many other distros and they are much easier to upgrade.

You can ssh into it, typically at 192.168.1.1/24 with user root