CSGO vs CS2 using SQM

If you know the internal IP address of the gaming machine you could create a frewall rule similar to the following (untested):

Here I used 192.168.42.255 as stand in for the internal IPv4 address of your gaming computer, at the very least you need to replace that with the correct IP address. And as I said this is not tested at all :wink:

1 Like

Interesting graphs. It seems that on the sending direction (towards Valve) CS2 is basically a constant bitrate encoding scheme, but moderately variable packets/second, whereas CS:GO is constant packets per second and constant packet size, so constant bitrate as well.

My guess is that CS2 has some bitrate budget but can send a packet when events occur rather than on a given tick. If some tick expires maybe it sends a packet anyway. So it'll average 40pps if you're doing nothing, but might increase packets per second if you have more actions, but while it does this it has a limited bandwidth budget it stays within.

2 Likes

Could be, however if I understood @Xsanchi correctly while at 40Hz the game was really unplayable, so I am not sure the 40Hz is the game operating in its intended update rate envelope. I t is not clear why though, is this CS2 trying to adapt to a too narrow link and ending up in a regime that was never tested, or is this cake aggressively dropping packets and the game still sending at 64Hz, because if 1/3 of the control packets do not make it to the server I would not be amazed if game-play was sub-optimal :wink:

1 Like

@Xsanchi I have a request from members of the IETF transport area working group to share your packet captures as they consider this very interesting and relevant information. Now, packet captures can contain personally identifying information but mostly in the packet payload (in your case this is severely truncated and hence not complete) and that is often encrypted anyway. However, since these are your data I want to ask two questions:
a) Will you allow me to keep these packet captures for my own use analysis, or do you want me to delete them?
b) Will you allow me to share these with IETF members?

Any decision is fine by me, just let me know.

2 Likes

I think it's fine as long as it may help them to find out anything interesting.
about your other request and doing a new capture.
I am just waiting because there is a big possibility for the CS2 to be fully released tonight as they made some hints on their Twitter page.

1 Like

Take your time, I am working against a number of consecutive tight deadlines for the rest of the year, so will only be able to look at things occasionally.

Well, they would be looking at your traces as examples for real-world game traffic, which could help further development of internet protocols, but it is unlikely to result in any meaningful help for your specific condition. I still hope you are willing to share, but I want it to be clear that this would be for "science" and not for a tangible improvement on your link.

Oh, that is interesting!

1 Like

HI @Xsanchi I will interpret your liking my last post as indication that you allow sharing your captures, but will only do so on Monday (or you explicitly allow it), so you have ample time to object.

1 Like

it is fine mate.
Yesterday was the cs2 release. nothing new about the lag
I wanted to ask if it would be a good idea to get a new ADSL line and use the balance loader package to get at least 2 MB uploads.
will the sqm run just fun with the balance loader?

Excellent! In spite of me "setting de deadline" and promising to share the captures without explicit consent, I had decided yesterday that I will need your explicit opt-in :wink:

That is a pretty costly proposition, if I would go that route, I would simply use the additional line only for the gaming PC as that will give maximal isolation and as long as you do not run other stuff on that PC you will get the full ~1 Mbps upload for your game.

Alternatively you can use mwan3 to configure both links simultaneously and use some rules that normally all traffic except the gaming PC uses one link and the gaming PC uses the other link (this is like the full isolation as above, except in the case of link 1 going off line the second link would take over, which would suck for your game but you at least would have internet for everybody. That said it is not that likely that out of two DSL links over the same wire bundle between the same home and central office there would be differential outages, if a digger destroys the wire bundle both links will be off-line).

You would need to configure one independent sqm-instance per uplink, but sqm-scripts allows multiple concurrent configurations, albeit not on the same interface, but that can be easily solved by using different VLANs if all modems are connected via the same ethernet port to the router.

1 Like

true, the idea of using a new line only for the machines that want to play the game is the better idea so far. till the fiber optic comes :smiley:

1 Like

That is, I must admit not my genuine idea, but something another player in a similar situation opted for in a forum discussion :wink:
In theory "bonding" two DSL links so they appear as a single faster DSL link is also possible but that requires cooperation from your ISP.

Yes, that likely is a better solution, assuming that pricing will not restrict you to the same 20/1 speeds you currently have :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know if it has been suggested before but until you have your new line you could try out @dlakelan’s HFSC gamer script which a bit more aggressive than cake and set the Gameup/Gamdown variable for your pc manually. This way you can assure that your gaming device always has x amount of bandwidth. This script was originally made for gaming on slow connections so you may give it a shot.

1 Like

@Hudra the script you suggested works really well bro even with the stressor :slight_smile:
I waited for a friend to help me install it and I can confirm it's doing a great job for a very bad internet speed like mine.
@moeller0 thanks for all the attention and the infos you were providing in my thread.
I wanted to confirm with you guys if the things that we changed to the script based on my line and router are enough or if there is more I can do to make my gaming experience more stable
LINKTYPE="atm"
WAN=pppoe-wan
UPRATE=850
DOWNRATE=13000
UDPBULKPT="51413,27005:27038"
TCPBULKPT="51413,6881:6889,27005:27038"
that's everything we changed in the script and kept the rest the same.
is that enough so far?

2 Likes

This is one instantiation of a scheme with fixed priotity tiers taylored to the games specific needs, so some sort of targeted unfairness....

1 Like

one more question guys.
I have noticed that the script must be enabled via putty every time the router restarts, mainly due to the power cuts.
I start it via these 2 commands
cd /etc
./SimpleHFSCgamerscript.sh
my question is is possible to make this script auto-start every time the router restarts?

Hi @Xsanchi the script has a hotplug interface read the readme towards the bottom. If you install the hotplug script it will run whenever the pppoe comes up.

Also it was written for iptables but then we updated it for nftables make sure you're using the nftables version with current OpenWrt.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.