Creating a mesh network?

Hi everyone!

I have a TP-Link Archer C7 v2 running OpenWRT (19.07) and a Netgear EX7000 (AP / WIRED) setup and working relatively well together! OpenWRT handles all the dhcp/dns/etc functions. All my ESSID (2.4 and 5) are set to OpenWRT-WIFI on both the TP-LINK Archer (router) and the Netgear EX7000 (AP).

I'd like to know if there would be a benefit to enable "802.11r Fast Transition" under wireless security on my router for each ESSID? (which I just discovered today!)

The issue I'm having right now is "sometimes" when my kids go from 1 end of the house to the other, their wifi seems to "interrupt/stall" when it jumps from either the router or AP.

Would enabling 802.11r fix this issue? If I do enable it, I see in LUCI a whole bunch of other settings show up... do I need to change anything there? Do I need to change anything on my Netgear?

Eventually I'd like to add another AP via ethernet or wifi (wds I'm guessing) so there's a 3rd AP in the house.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

That only helps (depending on the client, only highend ones look at 802.11r at all) if you can enable it on both APs, unless the OEM firmware offers the option on the ex7000 (as it's not supported/ not supportable by OpenWrt) you won't see any improvement (and you can't use the simple setup either, but need to set all of its options to make both agree about the roaming domain).

1 Like