Create WAN-port for EAP615v1

Hi, I am trying to reconfigure the TP-Link EAP615v1 as a "normal" router, for which the PoE-port shall function as WAN-port. I am inclined to just implement the network config parts related to WAN that are present on an ArcherC6v3 I use. Additionally, I see copying the firewall config related to WAN as necessary step, too.

Is this the correct approach to take and if so, are there any more details I need to add to the network config file, change for the LAN-device, etc.?

Installed snapshot is r21968-acd8e94d20 - no further configurations done thus far.

move the ethernet port to the wan firewall zone, should be enough.

I need to create WAN interface, possibly with VLAN for the port, in the network config, first though, right? This is my network config at the moment (no entry for WAN):

config interface 'loopback'
	option device 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option packet_steering '1'
	option ula_prefix 'fdd1:1442:11af::/48'

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	list ports 'lan0'
	list ports 'lan1'
	list ports 'lan2'
	list ports 'lan3'

config interface 'lan'
	option device 'br-lan'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'

And this is the firewall section related to zones for LAN and WAN:

config zone
	option name		lan
	list   network		'lan'
	option input		ACCEPT
	option output		ACCEPT
	option forward		ACCEPT

config zone
	option name		wan
	list   network		'wan'
	list   network		'wan6'
	option input		REJECT
	option output		ACCEPT
	option forward		REJECT
	option masq		1
	option mtu_fix		1

config forwarding
	option src		lan
	option dest		wan

pretty sure everything will be auto generated when you create it, but it looks like this

config interface 'wan'
        option device 'eth0'
        option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
        option device 'eth0'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'

What @frollic has provided is generally correct, but the specifics for the EAP615v1 require talking one of the lan ports out of br-lan and using that as the device.

For example, if you wish to use lan0 as the wan port, and assuming your service requires your wan as dhcp...

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	list ports 'lan1'
	list ports 'lan2'
	list ports 'lan3'

config interface 'wan'
	option device 'lan0'
	option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
	option device 'lan0'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

Adjust as necessary -- if PPPoE, you'll change the protocol and add your credentials.
Note that lan0 was removed from br-lan and added to the wan and wan6 interfaces. Also note that wan is lowercase... if you do this, it will automatically be assigned to the wan firewall zone and things should 'just work.'

1 Like

Perfect, I had already pulled lan0 from the bridge but tried wan and eth0 as device options for the wan interface. With lan0 it works and the AP has received an IP from my modem, displays its hostname correctly and I can ping a website. Thank you both for the quick help!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.