Create a WIFI to Ethernet Bridge with OpenWrt

OPENwrt is the only firmware I could find to replace the factory one which was totally unusable in America being that the original was more based on a china configuration and very limited options base.
DDWRT does not have firmware for anything that I have that uses N or AC hardware, I need faster and longer range to cover a 50-foot distance.

I did get the openwrt to diagnose from inside its menus after a reboot and reset. The ETH is on a 1.254 ip but the WIFI links get a DHCP from the primary network bridged via wireless.

So now to try this with the Cisco RV340 Router 192.168.99.1 and see if it works as expected. But it got late so had to do that later as I fell asleep.

I was able to pick a few ideas from the links but the links that looked like what I should do which broke openwrt so I had to revert back to what worked.

What I tried to setup was https://oldwiki.archive.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clientmode to not have so many hops or changing IPs.

So I will update when I get that part.

fwiw, asus and I think linksys sell routers with wireless bridge modes. TP-link sell outdoor directional APs, CPE210, CPE510 - I believe they can be used as pairs to create a dedicated wireless link over Very long range.

1 Like

Let me find the model
wifi repeater
wl-wn570ha1 rev.a1
that is what the label says.
The UNIFI AP is
UAP-AC-LR 4.3.21.11325
With 11N/B/G and 11N/A/AC radios
UBNT Unifi claims that you can not connect a WIFI CLIENT to its AP....
I keep falling asleep on this project, I do not think I posted this.

What I am doing is I have a main LAN router with service in the house/office
Wifi AP that is capable of 802.11AC
The signal is relayed to the wavelink (bridge)
That is then connected to the RV340 WAN1 port
the Cradle Point is connected to the RV340 WAN2 port
Lan port 1 is a wavelink that is set as an AP.
Those devices are outside IP67 rated and powered via 12vdc
The cradle point is mounted inside also 12vdc
the router is 12vdc as well
Then I have an NVR and 8 cameras all the way around the truck that record to an SSD and I download via FTP over cellular but looking to do this over wifi soon.
I also use a Motorola MW810 for the control center and have a print server 12vdc and a laser printer so I can print out work orders and power up the 120vac inverter as needed for non-dc items to work.
I am doing trials now to see if the rv340 can failover to wan2 then back to wan1.
The policy binding table has me stumped.
But I gleaned a few bits from all the tips and seems that directly connected the wifi did a ping from itself just have not tried it solo or on the router.

Both devices are supported by the latest OpenWrt release (19.07.4), and they use the mt76 and ath10k WLAN drivers, respectively. This means OpenWrt's flavour of WDS (4-addr mode) should be supported and result in a transparent L2 bridge.

Surely this claim refers to the vendor firmware. The device's capabilities may be different with OpenWrt, where you can list the valid interface combinations with the iw phy command.

I suggest you install OpenWrt on both devices if not done yet. Starting from the default config, set up WDS according to the wiki page I mentioned earlier. Keep an eye on option network in the wireless interface config, it must refer to a single interface from /etc/config/network, not multiple ones.

If you have further questions, post the resulting /etc/config/network and /etc/config/wireless while redacting any secrets.

1 Like

Thank you,
I am not happy with UNIFI as the support is less than lacking.
Prior they used to actually show how to find and make changes, the USG or maybe its the cloud key controller that updated, and the firmware is even worse than before, mostly broken in my opinion. I do like the usg as a security gate but I am thinking there is a better way, url alis to point to local IPs.
A 6 year-old feature request that had claims to be in the works some 5 years ago was the ability to enter microsoft.com and point that to 192.168.3.100 as an example.
UNIFI claimed it would be revolutionary to add that feature. LOL I know it exists just not in the device. I do like the interface on how all the devices are controled by one controller.
I did manage to test this and the bridge works for a link and the wan2 port which has another isp that autp switches on disconnect of the bridge.
with DDWRT each NIC has a MAC and a IP that can be set as I had done in the past with old hardware.
With OPENWRT the best I can do is set the ETH as 192.168.1.254 and the WIFI radios as DHCP then reserve IPs in the pool for the link. The cisco wan1 is static for the bridge and dhcp for wan2 is the culluar.
I gleaned some bits and peices from each link and tips.
Over all it is solved using the hardware that I have.
Not sure about updates for the unifi AP.
I am still on the fence about them. I updated from linksys stuff to cisco rv hardware to the unifi for the main network.
I want a VPN between the Cisco RV to the Unifi....... so that is the next part of the project to put a vpn on the wan2 port and connect it to the public ip of the unifi.
I will still do updates on the progress as it goes. I do appreciate the suggestions. Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.