CPU frequency scaling driver for mvebu (WRT3200ACM etc.)

I certainly would be really keen on seeing this - it's quite crazy how hot the WRT3200ACM runs when it can't frequency scale.

Might need some liquid metal :slight_smile:

Can you point to us where the new non-broken parts are? Their branching/versioning system is a mess to navigate. However, from what I gather, it seems that CPU Idle and CPU Hotplug are still disabled within the arch/arm/mach-mvebu/pmsu.c file.

Within the 4.14.76-armada- 18.12 branch these still exist:

This same code still exists on Marvell's most recently updated branch on their other kernel repo here: https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/mainline-public/blob/mc/net-next/ppv2-cos/arch/arm/mach-mvebu/pmsu.c

This code came from this patch. The bug is in the hardware (though he was wrong about the XP not having this problem given the 1900ACv1 random reboot fiasco we had a year ago).

I remember I saw one that had no "boken" part in it but I lost it... Oh well, I made a goof, sorry for the confusion.
I have to say I'm rather disappointed that this'll never be fixed. I mean, it doesn't spend that much energy and it's a pretty awesome router, but it's still annoying, some of the open source parts of this router are really missing, there are a lot of unused hardware features missing but what can you do ahahha.
Just one last question, you mentioned that CPU hotplug and Idle are disabled because of the hardware malfunction, but what about the frequency scaling? Is it related too?

Thanks for the help!

Just got me a 3200 however it runs cinda hot, is this still a dead end with cpu scaling?

I use it on my WRT32x , has been working well for me , on kernel 5.4 -10 degrees when compared with kernel 4.14.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s just a shame it has to run so hot because of this

oh that´s nice, is there a build or do i have to compile it myself?

Best is if you compile it by yourself, so that you get just the packages that you want. The patches are above.

But I have also semi-regularly updated my own build, mentioned early in the thread:

download link:

3 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:
Is there a chance for a patch for kernel 5.4.42?

sed -i 's/patches-4.19/patches-5.4/g' 419scaleCPUFreq.patch
3 Likes

Running Kernel on 5.4.42 with @anomeome command to update the patch and it seems to run perfectly fine on the WRT32X just wondering either @anomeome @hnyman or @jeff1 has any suggestions for the CPU governor setup?

I thought your builds were only for r7800, nice to know, I have both. wrt3200 and r7800 :wink:

currently I use davidc502 build on the last kernel, don't know if I can use the patch about high temp?

Or I need to update with your build?, if so, I can update directly from davidc to yours?

thanks

How you install the patch?
I have the same kernel but davidc502 build

You download or edit the patch into your local sources, and then you compile the firmware. If you place the patches correctly to the mvebu kernel patches directory, it will get taken into account in the kernel compilation.

1 Like

Ok.
Even if you explain me that in Chinese I will try :joy:

Yes I downloaded the 4.19 patch and then ran the command @anomeome put up after renaming the patch file to match. But I do self compile my firmware based on DavidC's setup.

1 Like

do i need to go somewhere here?
:slight_smile:

Sans titre

The patch file is for compiling the firmware from source. You don't place patch files on router.

If my personal builds was not internal i would of uploaded my build.
Not sure on Linksys devices if we can simply replace the kernel or not.

With kernel 5.4 I get:
mvebu-pmsu: Cannot get clock for CPU 0
And no files are created in:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/

Did I miss something?