Coral Edge TPU pci-e based (gasket-dkms)

Hello,

I looked through all the packages in the openwrt repository, but I didn't find any references to the google coral pci-e drivers.

Is it possible to install these drivers somehow? I know the google coral usb works, but unfortunately it is very expensive.

If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it.

I saw that gasket-dkms is needed to work.

The card is ok, it appears in openwrt, but unfortunately it doesn't have the drivers and therefore I don't have /dev/apex_0

Openwrt: x86/x64

There is no DKMS to use proprietary drivers in OpenWRT.

The driver isn't proprietary, just not mainlined. I think that it was even in staging, but removed due to lack of maintenance.

You need to create a proper kernel package for it, compile on your host and install it on the device.

Thank you for your attention.

I like challenges, but I think I'll let it pass.

I think it's better to stay on Debian and keep openwrt as a VM.

I thought there would be an easier way to build an opkg with dkms, without touching the kernel.

I've never tried it, but I think that this doesn't touch the kernel. The difference is: DKMS modules are built on the target. OpenWrt has no compiler on the target, hence DKMS cannot be used. The kernel and all modules are cross-compiled, and cross-compiling a module shouldn't cause an issue. You jsut need to define the package in the build environment.

I've been thinking about the Gasket driver myself, since I use Frigate and a PCIe Coral module. However, moving this to OpenWrt would also require moving Frigate to a docker container on OpenWrt and I decided to stay with the NAS for all my containers (running Arch Linux). OpenWrt is a great OS for routers and I don't want to move too much to the router.

You are absolutely right, in the end I came to this conclusion.

I have to detach from openwrt as all in one. But it is very powerful, but it is a fact that for x86/64, we always run into some limitation and I am wrong to think of openwrt as everything in em. I understand that x86/64 has processing power and greater resources, but it is really difficult to maintain this universe of routers/PCs.

I'm currently running proxmox and everything is working fine, I just need docker/containers and a nas.
I'm running:

1. openwrt /vm
  2. nas/vm/docker for iot (ha, mqtt, etc)
  3. frigate lxc

The part I want to change is to use frigate in docker/container natively on the host, since in the near future it is not recommended to install docker directly on the host and those who used it report some problems in relation to the network.

Yesterday I did a test with debian > cookpit and I liked it, but cookpit has a lot of limitations, but I liked the fact that I could use podman and that would solve my problem, as I would play iot/frigate on podman and use too many resources on the VM. There are times when I think it's better for me to create my manual qemu/kvm scripts, but I would be without a web interface for monitoring.

Curiosity:

Are you using Arch Linux for openwrt/nas/docker? Are you doing everything manually or do you have a management interface?

Everything manually. It's an x86 Box (Pentium-J 5005 ITX) and running a bunch of docker containers in addition to the Samba / NFS server natively on Arch. I went for Arch because I use it on the desktop as well. My OpenWrt is running natively on my networking equipment, but not inside docker / the NAS.

1 Like