Copying .config between builds

I copied a config from one build to another and ecieved the following at the start of the make should I be worried ?

conf.c: In function 'main':
conf.c:620:6: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
      _("\n*** The configuration requires explicit update.\n\n"));
      ^
conf.c:674:4: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
    fprintf(stderr, _("\n*** Error during writing of the configuration.\n\n"));
    ^~~~~~~
conf.c:678:4: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
    fprintf(stderr, _("\n*** Error during update of the configuration.\n\n"));
    ^~~~~~~
conf.c:689:4: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
    fprintf(stderr, _("\n*** Error during writing of the configuration.\n\n"));
    ^~~~~~~
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/professor_jonny/openwrt/scripts/config'
time: target/linux/prereq#0.15#0.48#0.65

Those error are actually from the build system config interpreter compilation. Strange

Sounds like you copied the full .config to an older buildroot? Possibly changing buildroot options in an incompatible way. (GCC version, format security options, ...)

You should copy only the output of scripts/diffconfig.sh as the new .config

That contains only your selections and build option changes.

You can straighten that to full .config with make defconfig or make menuconfig

Ps. You should like do "make config-clean" to cleanup the compiled config interpreter. (That is semi-hidden in scripts/config dir and not touched by make clean)

I copied the config file into the same build after a fresh git clone and updating feeds before running make menuconfig.

but yes good pointer on the diffconfig script I will use that in future.

I did not think it would of caused an issue but it did the output of make compiled but the images were trash with ubi error in uboot after flashing.