Coova-chilli on OpenWrt 22.03 (nftables)

What actions have to be done to update the Coova-Chilli package in order for it to work on OpenWrt 22.03?

At a guess, I would say pre-install iptables-nft, then install coovachilli....

I have tested that, but it doesn't work our for me, the mini browser opens up but traffic is not redirected properly.

The very same configurations on OpenWrt 21.02 work.

Coova-chilli also does some manipulation of iptable rules. So, you are welcome to "translate" these manipulations to nft rules.

1 Like

A bit more guesswork - You might need to pre-install xtables-nft instead of/as well as iptables-nft.

Looking at the makefile it has libxtables as a dependency so that will most likely install xtables-legacy by default with potential indeterminate issues.

If an ipt module is left installed, opkg will very likely abort when the nft compatibility module tries to install.

1 Like

So the options suggested are:

1. rewrite coova-chilli internal logic to nftables
  2. ensure the libraries which ensure backward compatibility are installed correctly

I would try 2 before attempting 1, mainly because it sounds like 1 may be good to be done upstream rather than in OpenWrt only, since I understand that other distros are gradually switching or have already switched to nftables by default with the compatibility libraries installed by deafult.

Any Update sir? i also looking for coova chilli support on OpenWrt 22.3 because my routers are new with 22.03 Firmware .Unable to install version 21 on those units.

You might offer some 'sponsoring' here. Especially, because this feature is most often used in commercial installs.

i would love to but I am just testing coova chilli right now facing issue related to speed and compatibility no planning for commercial purpose....

Download openwrt 22.03 firmware Customize installed packages and/or first boot script
with following packages

base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear firewall fstools kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-leds-gpio kmod-mt7603 kmod-mt7615e kmod-mt7663-firmware-ap kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport kmod-usb3 libc libgcc libustream-wolfssl logd mtd netifd iptables-zz-legacy odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-basic-wolfssl nano coova-chilli

2 Likes

I can confirm that with the above method described by dnaresh747 coova-chilli works perfectly on openwrt 22.xx. But needs to remove firewall4 by adding -firewall4 in the build package list.

1 Like

Hello can you please write the new build package list here ?

make image PACKAGES="base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear firewall fstools kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-leds-gpio kmod-mt7603 kmod-mt7615e kmod-mt7663-firmware-ap kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport kmod-usb3 libc libgcc libustream-wolfssl logd mtd netifd iptables-zz-legacy odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-basic-wolfssl nano coova-chilli -firewall4"

as @dnaresh747 described add firewall iptables-zz-legacy and delete -firewall4
Here is the command I used. You have to modify the packages according to your need or your device. My device uses mt7615e in your case it might be different.
Follow the image builder guide.

1 Like

i build custom images
and i have it working by disabling firewall4 from base system
unselect frewall4 it will auto select firewall

and select under network > firewall

iptables-zz-legacy
xtables-legacy

working for me even for 23.05.2