Connecting through a modem in bridge mode?

I've installed openWrt on a Belkin RT 3200 and can access the internet when it's plugged into the router from my ISP. I also have a TP-Link Archer VR400 (with stock firmware) in bridge mode so it only acts as a modem. When I connect the Belkin to that modem I can't access the internet.

I know I need to use the username and password from my ISP and probably make it a DHCP server but when I tried to change settings in openWrt a message comes up saying "Failed to confirm apply within 90s". The message never goes away and I can also no longer access the router by ssh with the message "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection timed out".

I'm having trouble finding out how to get it setup and trial-and-error hasn't been very successful! Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

the message usually pops up when you change the IP or subnet of the LAN interface,
there should be a confirmation button next to it.

when the LAN IP change, you will not be able to access the device (hence the "error" message).
If not confirmed, the device will roll back the change.

Thanks, how long does it usually take to roll back? I left it for quite a while and it never seemed to finish.

I tried to change Network > Interfaces > LAN > Protocol from "Static address" to "PPPoE". That must be why I lost access. Couldn't see a confirmation button though?

There's no need to edit the LAN here. Make sure you're editing the WAN. DSL with a username and password means you're using pppoe, set the WAN protocol to that.

3 Likes

What mk24 said :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much folks! It's sorted :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.