Connecting Samsung ML2250 Printer to Linksys WRT3200ACM running OpenWrt

I have just got my new Linksys WRM3200ACM router up and running with OpenWRT. My network has a mix of Windows 10 and Android devices. I am wanting to connect a Samsung ML2250 printer to the router so that it can be used by devices on the network. I can't work how to do this. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Chris.

presumably

If your Client is Linux/Cups based, this may also be helpful:
https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-ML-2250

Thanks. Which client do I need to use for Linux/CUPS?

If all you're looking for is just connecting your printer to the network (wired or wireless), then you need to do just that. Then configure your clients for a networked printer. Usually a modern printer will just advertise itself on the network.

Below a screenshot from the printers 'installed' on my Debian laptop (not manually; they advertise themselves on the network and are picked up by Debian, and modern Windows will probably do the same). Both printers have been picked up 'on location' - and both locations are running OpenWrt 19.07.x with no extra print services like p910nd installed.

You only need CUPS or p910nd if you want the OpenWrt device itself to be a print server. If your printer has networking capability, then there's no need for that. Just assign it a fixed IP.

Thanks. I have tried to insall the print server using the instuctions at: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/print_server/p910ndprinterserver
The packages install (kmod-usb-printer and p910nd) but when I check if the printer is recognised:

root@LEDE:~# ls /dev/usb/lp*
/dev/usb/lp0

The directory /dev/usb does not exist. Please help!

When I try the install steps again it appears that everything is up to date:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install kmod-usb-printer
Package kmod-usb-printer (4.14.171-1) installed in root is up to date.
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install p910nd luci-app-p910nd
Package p910nd (0.97-8) installed in root is up to date.
Package luci-app-p910nd (git-20.105.64099-eeba108-1) installed in root is up to date.

Thanks,
Chris.

@quissicks Did you try what I suggested? At least your printer seems to have wireless, as a quick lookup on the internet tells me. Might also have Ethernet.

Unfortunatly my laser jet printer is quite old and doesn't have its own wifi. I am trying to connect it to the USB port on the router. I have an ink jet printer that is wifi and that works as you have suggested. I am trying to reduce printing costs because the kids use a lot of black ink!

1 Like

Unplug and re-plug the printer then check the logs to see if the driver attached to it.

usb devices have a VendorID and HardwareID that is used to associate the port to a particular driver. These ID's are usually read on Boot or if hotplug is enabled.
The kernel module are also usually installed during boot.
If @mk24 hotplug based suggestion does not work, consider rebooting and running lsusb.
Reference:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS/Troubleshooting#USB_printers