Confusion about upgrade instructinos

In the upgrade instructions, there's mention of a sha256 on the downloads page, but I don't see any such thing.

Also, given that "keep settings" is not recommended across major versions, what's the least painful way to get my router set back up the way it is now after upgrading from 18 to 19?

If you go to the Releases page and then click through to your build you'll find the sha256 there (here's mine for example). The easiest way to upgrade would probably be to generate a backup of your current build, then after upgrading copy your saved configs to your current build one by one while making sure everything still works.

1 Like

…and if you do want to verify the authenticity of the sha256sum file, you'll find gpg- (sha256sum.asc) and signify-openbsd (sha256sum.sig) signatures for the sha256sum file right next to it.

Also, remember whenever you upgrade you have to reinstall any packages you had before the upgrade. Everything gets wiped in the ugprade.

1 Like

I do not think that information is on the upgrade page, is it? If not perhaps we should have something like opkg list-installed to get a list of installed packages etc. before after?

Looks like it isn't, but it's a well known situation to those familiar with OpenWRT. It probably should be there, though.

Yes you could use opkg list-installed to get a list of packages if you're not sure which extra packages you may have installed. I keep a command in a text file for easy reference so when I do an upgrade I only have to run one command to install all packages I use regularly. This will also automatically install any dependencies for each package.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the help. Is there a way for me to make an edit to the upgrade instructions so they point to the right place?

Oh, also, what's that command, @jc1685? It'd be helpful for lots of us, I assume! Can I just feed it a comma-separated list of packages?

After the upgrade the router will reboot. Enter a SSH session from a terminal.

Type opkg update

Then type opkg install packagename1 packagename 2 listing all the packages you want to install. Opkg will install all dependencies automatically. Just one space between package names.

Then in Luci you can restore your settings.

That's it.

1 Like

Hey guys this method is a lot easier. See this page, especially the opkgscript.sh:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.