Configuring TP-LINK WDR3600 as a switch

I would like to configure my TP-LINK WDR3600 as a switch so that I can add an extra four ports to my existing LAN, but I'm not sure about how to do so.
The router has a WAN port and four LAN ports but I'm not sure how OpenWRT refers to any of them.
Some help would be appreciated.
I'd prefer to have all IP addresses set using my existing DHCP server which is assigned 192.168.1.1.

This is what you're looking for

1 Like

I tried following the guide, but am unable to ping my Internet gateway (192.168.1.1). The router has a static IP address of 192.168.1.4 and I can ssh into it and can access the Web GUI with a browser.
In the section Network -> Interfaces -> LAN -> General Settings
I have
Status - Device: br-lan
Protocol - Static address
Device - br-lan
Bring up on boot - tick
IPv4 address - 192.168.1.4
IPv4 gateway - 192.168.1.1
IPv4 broadcast 192.168.1.255

I have a cable connected between my laptop and LAN port 1 and another connected between WAN port and Internet gateway switch.

I'm unable to access the Internet. It looks like my gateway setup isn't working.

What am I missing?

Can you try to connect the cable between the internet gateway switch and the wdr3600 in one of the lan ports?

Just tried... that works fine.

You need to move the wan port to the lan bridge.

Can you post /etc/config/network please.

To move WAN port to LAN bridge, do I just need to change:-

Device - eth0 ?

config interface 'loopback'                                                                                                                                                                                                    
        option device 'lo'                                                                                                                                                                                                     
        option proto 'static'                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'                                                                                                                                                                                              
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'                                                                                                                                                                                             

config globals 'globals'                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        option ula_prefix 'fde4:ef68:a264::/48'                                                                                                                                                                                

config device                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        option name 'br-lan'                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        option type 'bridge'                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        list ports 'eth0.1'                                                                                                                                                                                                    

config interface 'lan'                                                                                                                                                                                                         
        option device 'br-lan'                                                                                                                                                                                                 
        option proto 'static'                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        option ip6assign '60'                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        list ipaddr '192.168.1.4/24'                                                                                                                                                                                           
        option gateway '192.168.1.1'                                                                                                                                                                                           
        option broadcast '192.168.1.255'                                                                                                                                                                                       

config device                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        option name 'eth0.2'                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        option macaddr 'e8:94:f6:68:3c:b9'                                                                                                                                                                                     
        option ipv6 '0'                                                                                                                                                                                                        

config interface 'wan'                                                                                                                                                                                                         
        option proto 'dhcp'                                                                                                                                                                                                    
        option ifname 'usb0'                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        option device 'usb0'                                                                                                                                                                                                   

config interface 'wan6'                                                                                                                                                                                                        
        option device 'eth0.2'                                                                                                                                                                                                 
        option proto 'dhcpv6'                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        option ifname 'usb0'                                                                                                                                                                                                   

config switch                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        option name 'switch0'                                                                                                                                                                                                  
        option reset '1'                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        option enable_vlan '1'                                                                                                                                                                                                 

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                                                                                                             
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                                                                                                                
        option vlan '1'                                                                                                                                                                                                        
        option ports '2 3 4 5 0t'                                                                                                                                                                                              

config switch_vlan                                                                                                                                                                                                             
        option device 'switch0'                                                                                                                                                                                                
        option vlan '2'                                                                                                                                                                                                        
        option ports '1 0t'

Unrelated to your question, but be aware that there is a short window between bootloader and the kernel's network initialization during which the switch is unconfigured and bridges all ports together. This VLAN bleed-over might have unintended consequences and might cause security concerns.

Thanks, but security for me is not an issue as I'm using a home network and I'm the only user.