Configuring TL-WN822N USB Wifi Adapter

Hello,
I have an x64 OpenWRT instance running in an old computer and now I wanted to add WiFi capabilities.
I have a TP Link TL-WN822N USB adapter but I'm totally newbe for this configuration.

I've installed "rtl8192eu-firmware" package but nothings happen.

¿Am I doing something wrong or this driver isn't working well?

Thanks and greetings.

In addition to the driver, I think you need to make sure that you have USB 2.0 support installed.

In addition to the firmware, I think you need to make sure that you have driver installed :wink:
Please see How to figure out which driver should I use with my usb wifi adapter

USB WLAN chipsets are generally not AP mode compatible, respectively untested/ buggy when configured for AP mode and usually not made for 24/7 operations (overheating). Furthermore the tiny PCB antennas are detriment to (Mu-)MIMO and range.

Do yourself a favour an either go with PCIe WLAN cards (ath9k, ath10k, mt76) or get a cheap (used) concurrent dual-band router to use as dedicated AP - that will be both cheaper and much more reliable/ faster/ longer range.

I have the previous model (722) and it supported AP mode at least in Windows. In fact, the software utility came with the option for AP mode.

Hello everyone,
With your help finally I've configured the hardware and it's working fine.

These are the steps I made, for anyone in the future who want to do the same:

• Installed USB 2.0 support: kmod-usb2
  • Installed Chipset AP firmware: rtl8192eu-firmware
  • Installed driver: kmod-rtl8xxxu

Thanks for your help to all of you. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great! If your issue is solved, please mark the post with the solution as such, using the square box underneath it.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.