Configuring OpenWrt as basic router

Dear Colleagues,

I’ve flashed open-wrt for the first time on a Tp-Link C2600 router. Coming from a dd-wrt background, the extensive settings on open-wrt are worrying me.
I want to configure the C2600 as a basic router (which will be connected to a separate Fiber modem), and want to ask:

1. In regards to the WAN setting, the connection I want is : is Automatic Configuration DHCP ( picture attached below ). I will then connect the router to the modem.

2. In regards to the wireless overview page, how do I remove the excess SSID’s ? ( picture attached ), and what are the best settings for 5Ghz on the AC channel? - etc 40/80, Beacon interval, TX power etc ( I have 2 laptops that are AC clients, but the rest are wireless N only ).

3. The other client is a 4 year old android phone, therefore should I leave the security setting as WPA2 PSK? (so no problems with authentication), on both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz channels ?.

4. Which settings should I leave alone / are automatically set as default?.

The links to the pictures are:

https://ibb.co/cNYcr0V

https://ibb.co/7VbVcXV

Thank you

This is the default setting for openwrt.

That doesn’t look like a normal default state. Maybe it is best to reset your device to defaults first.

Easy to do. You’ll see the settings when you configure from a default state.
You do need to setup the 2.4 and 5g radios separately, but they can have the same ssid name and password, and they’ll operate as a single normal network.

1 Like

psherman, thank you for the response.

Have reset the device to defaults - does the wireless overview now look normal ?

https://ibb.co/JQJz7SK

if you're using the web interface, go to

System > Backup / Flash Firmware > Restore > Reset to Defaults > Perform Reset

What version is on the device currently? Status > Overview

psherman, have reset the router.

The firmware version is : 22.03.3
( I include a pic of the wireless overview above your post ).

You should use this opportunity to upgrade to 23.05.0 (the latest). Use the firmware-selector.openwrt.org to download the 'sysupgrade' firmware image and then use that to upgrade your router. Uncheck the 'keep settings' box when you run the upgrade.

The current version is the most stable, as another member has upgraded to the latest version, but affected the router, and reverted back.

On the wireless overview page, I’ve turned on the wireless by pressing the button on the router, are the dBm indicators normal ? Or do I just remove them?.

https://ibb.co/dptHp76

More context here would be good. In general, 23.05 is quite stable, but if there are specific situations or bugs, it could be good to stay on 22.03. In most cases, though, it's a very narrow set of circumstnaces -- can you link the thread you're referring to?

If you do stay on 22.03, you should at least upgrade to 22.03.5 -- that's the latest in the 22.03 series and has some bug fixes and important security patches.

You should edit the wireless sections to do the following:

• set the country code to your region (for both radios)
  • change the SSID to your desired wifi network name
  • add a wireless security mode -- often WPA2 or WPA3, I'd avoid mixed-mode WPA2/WPA3 because that tends to be problematic with some devices.
  • add a passphrase.

Once those are done, you can enable wifi and enjoy!

Dear psherman,

Thank you.

The link is: Tp Link C2600 hardware version 1.0 - most stable Openwrt firmware? - #7 by cohen27

I’ll try the 22.03.3 for a while and then move to 22.03.5 later on.
(I’m a newbie, so treading carefully, as having to revert back to a previous version involves a re-flash and the added risk of getting it wrong )

I strongly suggest moving immediately to 22.03.5 (see the release notes). If you want to move to 23.05 later, that's fine.

Also, on the thread you posted, there is very little specific information in there, and very few participants in the conversation. As such, it is impossible to know if it is anecdotal based on other variables (environmental, configs, etc.) or if there is something actually wrong with the firmware. As such, I wouldn't put too much stock in that particular thread, but it is important to be up-to-date for security purposes.