Configuring OpenWrt + 3G modem for IP camera RTSP internet access

Your PC should have a 192.168.4.X IP, being part of OpenWrt's LAN. The PC's default gateway and DNS server should both be 192.168.4.1.

Ok I tried it as well, does not connect to 192.168.6.1

Logged in to the router so you are running commands on the OpenWrt CLI, can you ping the dongle at 192.168.6.1?

Yes. Network access also works in the command line. This way it has always worked. Connecting from LAN -> WAN seems to be the problem.

With the default OpenWrt firewall, and the dongle in the 'wan' network (and thus in the 'wan' firewall zone), this should just work.

Do you have Internet access from the router and from the PC?

If you have Internet access from the PC but not to 192.168.6.1, the PC may be running a strict firewall that blocks private IPs outside its own LAN.

1 Like

With the default OpenWrt firewall, and the dongle in the 'wan' network (and thus in the 'wan' firewall zone), this should just work.

Ok, weird. Any more info or diagnostics I can do or supply?

Do you have Internet access from the router and from the PC?

No. I also tried to disable windows firewall, no connection.

My settings look like this:

Can the VLAN affect this? There is only LAN interface in VLAN switch, the WAN interface (eth1) is not there because it is virtual interface...

The router is TP-LINK WR902AC, if that makes any difference.

The MT7628 chip has only one real ethernet port: eth0. eth1 is a virtual port created by the CDC driver when the LTE dongle is attached.

The MT7628 also includes a 5 port switch on the chip. In this pocket router only one of the ports is physically connected to an Ethernet socket, but it is still necessary to consider the switch as it's part of the chip and can't be bypassed. LAN traffic becomes eth0.1 because the switch is set to tag packets to the CPU switch port with VLAN 1. This is a holdover from other models that have more than one Ethernet cable connection and you'd want multiple VLANs in the switch to connect to cable modem or other wired WAN.

Let's review, when I ask you questions sometimes you answer only part of them.

• You have a WR902AC v3.
  • The firmware is official OpenWrt 19.07.4, from downloads.openwrt.org.
  • The configuration is OpenWrt default except for:
    ** cdc kmod has been installed.
    ** wan interface has been created and attached to eth1.
    ** lan IP changed to 192.168.4.1

On the router CLI:

• ping 192.168.6.1 works
  • ping 8.8.4.4 works
  • ping dns.google works

On a PC attached to the Ethernet port as a DHCP client:

• ping 192.168.4.1 works
  • ping 192.168.6.1 does not work
  • ping 8.8.4.4 does not work
  • ping dns.google does not work

Is this correct?

1 Like

Let's review, when I ask you questions sometimes you answer only part of them.

Sorry about that!

• You have a WR902AC v3 -> YES

• The firmware is official OpenWrt 19.07.4 -> YES

• The configuration is OpenWrt default except for:
    ** cdc kmod has been installed + usb-modeswitch
    ** wan interface has been created and attached to eth1
    ** lan IP changed to 192.168.4.1

(+ I also temporarily enabled wifi to download opkg packages, then deleted wifi interface + wifi connection from "Wireless" menu)

On the router CLI (ssh'd into router):

• ping 192.168.6.1 works -> YES
  • ping 8.8.4.4 works -> YES
  • ping dns.google works -> YES

On a PC attached to the Ethernet port as a DHCP client (Obtain IP address automatically):

• ping 192.168.4.1 works -> YES
  • ping 192.168.6.1 does not work -> YES
  • ping 8.8.4.4 does not work -> YES
  • ping dns.google does not work -> YES

Edit: Oh my god, it was my VPN which I forgot was enabled. I did not think it would affect any local network anyways. After disabling VPN, everything works. I'm sorry, thank you Mike for your assistance, I will thumb up your helpful posts!

This could happen if the PC is not using the proper default route. On the PC (assuming it is Windows 10) run ipconfig /all and check in the Ethernet section (usually the first one that appears) that the default route is 192.168.4.1. Run tracert -d 192.168.6.1 and it should at least show the first hop to 192.168.4.1.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.