Configuration for package download

Hello out there

I want report a problem that should be addressed in the documentation. I wanted to download an openwrt package and was not able to do so. The problem is: in the documentation about the downloads the device is assumed to be configured correctly - but that is not always the case. I tried for hours to get right - and failed. I connected to the Intenet via ethernet and wanted to administer the router via wlan, but that is the wrong way. Finally I found a person who told me to do it the other way round. I found the page 'configure openwrt as wlan client' and that was the solution.
I suggest to add this information to the page about the package download.

Thanks

it's not 'the wrong way'... it's possibly an 'undocumented way' for your use case...

OpenWrt is a versatile OS where general advice can get atypical in a hurry...

If you'd like to add a section to the wiki that clearly outlines either use case in a clearer manner...

• 'wired client -> internet ( wifi = lan )
  • 'wifi -> internet ( wired = lan )

please do so...

typically, one would set dns+gw+ip or dhcp on the lan interface... and use that for management and download in the 'opkg as lan-client' setup... as mentioned... this may not be suitable for all environments...

next most typical ( or possibly alternative to above ) would be using both interfaces in a 'cascaded network' topology where wan is a (primary)LAN client... and you manage the device from it's (secondary)LAN interface, less fiddling with ip's... more fiddling with wiring... ( assumes primary LAN is not using 192.168.1.x )

( without checking... both of the above i'd assume are documented clearly on the wiki? possibly not in the same place tho'... )

using two interfaces for such operations adds to the complexity and should be avoided unless there is a very good reason?

Don't get me wrong! This is ment as an attempt to improve the documentation. I'm a naive user und as such I want things simply to work. I did a factory reset and wanted to download a package and failed - full stop.
I actually care about the documentation of a clompletely other project where I'm the expert. Believe my, things obvious for me aren't obvious at all for other users.
I hesitate to add something to the wiki because I'm not sure if I'm right.

indeed... can you please link the page you are referring to?

It's simply openwrt.org/packages/start, the 'Packages' link from the openwert home page. I refer to the section 'command line interface'. All I want to say is that it might be a good idea to talk about or link to the configuration.

link to quick-start guide added... prior to the section outlining LUCI opkg operations..

and link to setting up wifi client added to;

At least it's a hint that one should take care about the configuration. I must admit that I didn't follow all the links in the 'quick-start guide'. I had a look at Internet connectivity and troubleshooting, but that did not help me out of my troubles. I would prefer something more specific but maybe that is not possible due to the great variety of possible devices.

Well, maybe it's worth to go into more detail and you can decide wether we are talking about a very specific or a more general phenomina.
I'm sitting in an office of a university. The university has its own subnet and didn't suffer from identical IPs or stuff like that. I could connect to the Internet 'out of the box' via ethernet. The wlan is encrypted and I don't know the keys to use it.
Everytime I connected to the Internet the IP 192.168.1.1 was gone and I couldn't connect to the router - don't know why. In the docs I couldn't find a solution.
After the tip of the other person I ended up with a laptop configured as 'hot spot' connect the router via wifi and - magically I could connect to 192.168.1.1 via ethernet cable and everything worked like a charm.

the description above leaves out critical information about;

• whether you are using the routers LAN or WAN port to connect upstream... and
  • where you are connecting your (wired) laptop to where exactly...

both critical pieces of information...

the correct sequence of events is to;

• connect laptop to router
  • reconfigure router for desired upstream access
  • disconnect client and reconfigure client ip if needed
  • (reboot router) connect upstream and access the router at reconfigured address / interface / etc.

points 1 + 2 being most critical... you shouldn't try to do all 4 at once...

1 Like

I try to do my best.
To start with: there is an ethernet socket in the wall. This is connected to an ethernet switch where I put in all cables for a wired ethernet connection.
I connect the the wan side of the router via cable with the ethernet socket of laptop1. I can go to 192.168.1.1 and activate the default wireless network (ssid 'umfrage'). By the the way one interface 'br-lan' (eth0 and wlan0).

• Scenario a: I remove the cable, enable wireless on laptop1 and login into the just created net 'umfrage'. I can goto 192.168.1.1, everything is fine. Now I connect the wlan of the router via cable with the ethernet switch: connection to 192.168.1.1 is broken but I can access the Internet. If I do it the other way round (first cable then wlan) it's the same 192.168.1.1 is gone but I can access the Internet. I spent hours with this but the result always was the same.

• Scenario b: I connect laptop2 via cable with the very same switch. I configure laptop2 as 'hot spot' (ssid 'test'). Now laptop1 is connected with wlan of the router via cable and I can configure the router as wlan client and connect it with net 'test'. The connection (cable) to 192.168.1.1 is still there and everything works.

I'm afraid that's the best way I can describe the situation - I'm not an expert.

I have the feeling that we are not talking about a special configuration issue for package downloads, but a very general problem of setting up your network correctly.

3 Likes

Hi, I'm here again
You may look at the problem from this point of view. However, the attempt to download a package was the point in time where I just couldn't get on - because i need both: connection to the Internet and connection to the router. I didn't face a problem before.

It's almost certainly a generic network problem. You have conflict of IPs. Just change the LAN IP of your router to be on a different network than the main router if you connect the cable to your router's WAN port.

It would be a lot easier if you draw a sketch showing the devices, the connections and the IPs. A hand drawn sketch would do but there are some sites that offer ASCII diagrams.

1 Like

Hey, I'm happy with the configurations I've done so far and I have the desired packages. I do not want to do a factory reset, unless I can save and restore the current state of the router.
For the moment I suggest to close the topic. If this router 'is done' the same setup must be done for a few other routers - that's the time when I can do some experiments.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.