Config_kernel_debug_fs

Ciao!

How are you?

I found there is this setting CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_FS=y, but with make menuconfig (the new OpenWRT), I cannot un-check. Do you know that is?

Isn't slowing down the router and use more memory?

Thanks,
Patrik

The other debugging options I was able to un-check.

try to change in your .config file change CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_FS=y to # CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_FS is not set
then run make defconfig and check that it's still unset

or another option is to open make menuconfig press / then search for KERNEL_DEBUG_FS and that should show up how it's defined and where in the menuconfig

hey @commodo !

how are you?
So if I just comment out this debug fs, it will not give problems right? That's it?

Thanks so much,
Patrik

What is weird is, that you can only change the .config, in the make menuconfig, there is no option, it is always checked, no option to un-check. Weird. Would be good to know why it is done like this.

how are you?
So if I just comment out this debug fs, it will not give problems right? That’s it?

not quite ; if there is a symbol that enforces the selection of CONFIG_KERNEL_DEBUG_FS=y then you cannot disable it ;

if you do grep -r KERNEL_DEBUG_FS | grep select you will find out which symbols select [and enforce] KERNEL_DEBUG_FS

seems you may need to disable also: [CONFIG_]PACKAGE_MAC80211_DEBUGFS and/or [CONFIG_]KERNEL_DYNAMIC_DEBUG

From the print-screen it looks like KERNEL_DYNAMIC_DEBUG - "Compile the kernel with dynamic printk" is disabled.
So, likely [CONFIG_]PACKAGE_MAC80211_DEBUGFS

thanks so much!

it looks like this:

docker@49593bd9842a:/build/source$ grep -r KERNEL_DEBUG_FS | grep select
	package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile:		select KERNEL_DEBUG_FS
config/Config-kernel.in:	select KERNEL_DEBUG_FS
tmp/.packageinfo:		select KERNEL_DEBUG_FS
tmp/info/.packageinfo-kernel_mac80211:		select KERNEL_DEBUG_FS
tmp/.config-package.in:			select KERNEL_DEBUG_FS
docker@49593bd9842a:/build/source$ 

So, I guess, it is better to keep it, can't be so slowing so much the router, right?

Thanks Master! :slight_smile:

tbh, I don't know about any slow-down effects of KERNEL_DEBUG_FS ;
some investigation would be needed to see about it;

i suspect there are sources for slow-down that have a higher impact than this :slight_smile:

yeah, i think so.
thanks so much! take care! ciao!