Config igmpproxy to allow multicast udp from WAN to LAN

You also need to pick one and install it. I am not familiar with its configuration.

Hope this helps.

Of course it wasn't. We didn't know about your WAN until you described it and mentioned VLC.

1. There is no need to put each sentence in a new posting.
    Please reduce your amount of postings by combining several single thoughts in one posting.
  2. Please use "Preformatted text </>" for logs, scripts, configs and general console output.
    grafik
1 Like

alright pimbd is installed.

OK...

• Is it enabled and running?
  • Have you attempted to configure?
  • Is your stream working now?

its running (started it via the GUI) but I don't know how to configure.
stream is still not running. I am also on windows and not linux

This is the best information I can find:

I installed it on my router and noticed this:

Configuring pimbd.
uci: Entry not found

This means it should be configurable via the UCI system, but I don't seen any documentation on that.

yes I found that post too.
so I still don't understand why it doesn't work. Why everybody told me to just run igmpproxy. why is it working for everyone else except me ? is my network so different or what ? getting traffic from WAN to LAN, why is it so stupidly complicated ? Noone seems to use pimdb at all to het it to work.

Yes your network is different, I thought I've clearly explained this already. Usually "WAN" is an ISP. ISPs implement PIM in their routers so multicast will work. You are required to know and handle this!

Since you didn't mention your WAN was controlled by you until post No. 15; and VLC until post No. 29, it's hard to guess - especially regarding multicast.

ok I understand.
you seem to have pretty much knowledge about this stuff. and i really appreciate the help. but i'm a newbie on this multicst stuff and I don't know how to handle this pimdb thing..

Can't find anything on that PIM topic that helps. So I guess to have a local WAN that sends multicast to LAN is completely useless because there is no ISP. Is that correct ? If you guys don't know then how should I know. I guess its pointless to set this up as intended. Can't even find any sort of documentation about pimdb or any tutorials on how to configure it.

Let's slow down here for a moment. I'm not completely convinced you need a PIM device in this case. I believe PIM would be needed if the source of the multicast was several hops away (like a TV broadcast box behind 3 or 4 routers deep inside an ISP network) and that would allow your IGMP request to be heard by the PIM daemon, and then using PIM information would propagate back through the ISP until the router next to the TV box knew that it should start sending the multicast packets down a new route, and that would eventually start the flow of packets that eventually wind up hitting your router. But in this case the multicast packets are already hitting your router. Your router should just pass the packets from one side to another once it knows you want them.

Am I wrong here? I'm not an expert in multicasting, but it would surprise me if igmpproxy couldn't grab the packets its already able to hear on the WAN and shove them onto the LAN?

Let's try this, with PIM stopped so it's not running, but igmpproxy running, set up the multicast source on WAN and ready but don't start the VLC viewer on LAN, and do

tcpdump -i eth0 igmp

on the router.

Then start up the VLC viewer and see if any IGMP appears on the WAN side in the tcpdump.

I agree that he could just take the packets and mangle them in some manner. The PIM is needed because there's nothing on WAN to take the IGMP subscription and hence cause a sending of the packets to the LAN interface.

Since I understand him to be doing something scholarly, be forewarned this may not be what the instructor desires.

So PIM is needed or not ?

I already posted this earlier in this thread

@mickey84 , please decide if you wish to:

• configure the PIM properly, or
  • if you want assistance with mangling packets

We can't decide that for you...but others are more available to configure mangling on OpenWrt than a PIM.

I really want to do it properly with PIM. But I will need step by step instructions if thats ok for you guys.

I thought that's what igmpproxy does? PIM seems to handle more the upstream routers, like with this topology:

TV Source -------- ISP Router 1 ----- ISP Router 2 -------- OpenWrt Router ----- LAN

PIM would talk ISP Router 1 to ISP Router 2 so that ISP Router 1 starts sending the tv source, and then isp router 2 can forward it... and the packets hit OpenWrt Router which only needs igmpproxy because once the multicast packets are hitting OpenWrt it can just pass them from WAN to LAN

EDIT: my understanding is that for the moment the topology is just:

TV Source --- OpenWrt Router with igmpproxy ---- LAN client

and we have the multicast video hitting OpenWrt already, so igmpproxy should be able to forward them along to LAN if that's what it does I'm still not entirely clear on what the full features of igmpproxy are.

You posted the results of tcpdump -i eth0 igmp but it wasn't clear whether you had a listener on LAN requesting at that time, and also whether igmpproxy was even running at that point. Can you please try this one again and just tell us whether any igmp is showing up on WAN once your LAN client is started?

Yes I will try again. Be right back

@dlakelan, you are correct. Though, you are not considering @mickey84's case. There's no PIM-enabled device to tell igmpproxy it's subscribed (this is the "upstream router" you refer to). It's never told by any daemon, that the stream is available.

igmpproxy = only a PROXY for the IGMP packets (and the subsequent UDP stream - this is why others in threads are confused when TCP gets in the mix, replies can have a unicast address data too).

AHA! I get it. So igmpproxy is sitting there waiting for someone to say "hey go ahead and grab those packets we're sending you" so it doesn't know to start forwarding? Is that the main issue?

In this case @mickey84 you will need a second GL-inet router to get the full simulation:

TV Source ---- additional router running PIMd simulating ISP ----- Your existing router --- LAN client

If you don't have extra devices, you can maybe put the "additional router running PIMd" in a virtual machine on the same device as TV Source :wink:

1 Like