Compiling custom 18.06.2 using menuconfing, how to disable ca-bundle?

Hello,

I normally build my own image using make menuconfig for an Asus RT-N10+ router (4/32 MB), so I can remove LUCI and add cURL (for some specific scripts that require HTTPS), in order to keep the image small I have created my own 'ca-bundle' with only the 4 root certificates that I need, and put it in /files/...

In previous versions of 18.06 this worked well, but in 18.06.2 menuconfig sets 'ca-bundle' as a required dependency when cURL is selected and I can't seem to disable it (with the full ca-bundle the image will be too big to allow me to save stuff on the overlay), I've edited .config by hand by commenting out the respective line (# CONFIG_PACKAGE_ca-bundle ), however this results in this message when compiling:
"WARNING: your configuration is out of sync. Please run make menuconfig, oldconfig or defconfig!"

Is there a way to disable ca-bundle using menuconfig without disabling curl htttps support?
What's the best way to approach this?

Thanks in advance

Edit curl Makefile and remove the ca-bundle dependency from curl.

1 Like

Thank you, where is it in the /openwrt dir?

Ok, found it in /package/network/utils/curl

just remove it from "DEPENDS +=" (libcurl)? There's also "CONFIGURE_ARGS += \ ...
--with-ca-bundle=/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt " I should probably leave this one.

Sounds right to me

1 Like

Thank you, that seemed to work, it now allows me to uncheck it in menuconfig.

If you put your own certificate file in files/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt then doesn't that overwrite the one ca-bundle puts there before the firmware is built?

2 Likes

I don't know, I didn't actually try that, if that actually works I prefer that behaviour.

I've compiled both by editing the curl Makefile and by putting my ca-certificates.crt in files, the size of the .bin is the same in both situations, so I guess you're right and it replaces the file.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.