Compile Openwrt

Hi, I tried to follow a guide to compiling openwrt, but at the make menuconfing command I receive errors, now I don't understand if the tutorial is obsolete or the problem is that I tried to do it both from ubuntu and from debian in live and also from debian WLS windows.
I don't need a whole image but packages or modules, specifically I have a dvb-core driver, which works on Chaos Calmer so it works well with TVheadend and usb SKY stick , I would like to change the driver for the Openwrt version 18.06.
Can anyone give me more explanations about what to do please.

You should post all steps you took with errors or else no one will have any data and will be speculating what is going wrong.

2 Likes

Hi Darksky, thanks for your intervention,
with rufus I created a bootable usb stick with debian 10.4.0
I started the boot from usb on my pc and then I ran these commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install git-core 
sudo apt-get install build-essential 
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev 
sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev 
sudo apt-get install unzip 
sudo apt-get install gawk
sudo apt-get install subversion 
sudo apt-get install mercurial

mkdir openwrt
cd openwrt
git clone  https://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git 15.05

cd 15.05
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a

make menuconfig

after the command ./scripts/feeds install -a a string of endless errors appears and after the make menuconfig command it tells me that wget git is missing and another thing that I don't remember, it may be due to the fact that I run debian in live

An example error???

I don't know about debian live environments ... likely you have limited space unless you mount a live partition somewhere. Compiling OW for me takes 6-7 GB of space if I recall correctly, maybe more.

Also, 15.05 is dead. Is getting the driver to work under 19.07 or master not an option?

I used this git clone command https://git.openwrt.org/15.05/openwrt.git 15.05
just as proof, I'm actually interested in version 18.06
the fact that he's dead depends on what you want to do with it, I haven't tried version 19 yet, I don't feel the need, I don't use openwrt as the main router for my ADSL line, but as a vpn client, tvheadend server, xupnpd server and mjpg streamer transmission and aria2c, actually transmission and aria2c I installed them on libreelec,
you're probably right the problem is the space even if I used a 16 gigabyte usb stick, in fact the errors refer to the lack of packages and libraries.
you said you don't use Debian, I have a free 15 gigabyte partition on the PC, which distro linux you recommend for doing these jobs, I thought debian was the best for these jobs, I also tried ubuntu 20 but did not install the subversion package

Version 15.05 is very old, it is probably failing to download old versions of all the external software that comprises an image.

I would try with a more modern version first.