Compex WLE900VX: which driver/firmware to use - ath10k or ath10k-ct?

Hi all
I have a Compex WLE900VX from PCengines. With an APU2D4 board.Its not really clear to me which driver and I should use the standard ATH10K driver or the modified ATH10K-CT drivers. Can someone shine some light on this for me. The documentation is not clear on the pros and cons between the two.

1 Like

I have the exact same Setup and also wanna know which ones best?

I have two WLE900VX cards (one for each band) on my Turris Omnia. It took me a while to get both 802.11w and WPA3-Personal working, but I found out that the combination of the Candela Technologies' ath10k-ct driver and QCA988x HTT firmware (the ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct-htt package) is stable. Previously, with other combinations, both cards' drivers/firmwares would crash within days, if I enabled 802.11w.
YMMV, of course, this is my personal experience. :wink:

I have 14days uptime on PC Engines apu2 now.

ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct-htt - 2019-10-03-d622d160-1
kmod-ath - 4.14.167+4.19.98-1-1
kmod-ath10k-ct - 4.14.167+2019-09-09-5e8cd86f-1

Please make sure you are using the HTT firmware. The non HTT version has this WMI issue.

are theses firmware, ct-htt, compatibles with MVEBU cortex a53 ?

Hi,
I'm trying to get a WLE900VX radio running on a PC-Engine APU 4 with OpenWRT 22.03 running and found your post. The kmod-ath and kmod-ath10k-ct are installed but I can't get the firmware downloaded. I'm quite new to OpenWRt and would very much appreciate any help! Thanks a lot in advance.

Lenny,
I have a pair of wle900vx radios running on a PC-Engines APU2 but only with OpenWRT 21.02.2 -- anything later such as the 22.03 you mentioned is not yet supported it seems. The latest kernel support for the QCA988x drivers is 5.4.179 which equates to OpenWRT 21.02.2. If you attempt to install the currently available qca988x drivers on 22.03 it will fail with errors saying something about "kernel 5.4.179 is expected but found 5.14 which is not supported" or something as such...

Download ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct the same way you did for kmod-ath and kmod-ath10k-ct. If you are not seeing it make sure to update the lists first ("Update Lists" button under "ACTIONS" category.) Then enter "ath10k-firmware" or the entire string if you'd like. You should then get a list of available software starting with "ath10k..." You get the idea...

Maybe someone else in this forum will know if a more recent qca988x driver is in the works or, maybe, an alternative? Does anyone know?

--Andy

For me, the non-CT drivers seem to work perfectly in 22.03.2. I have never tried the CT drivers, my APU2 with one wle900vx has used the non-CT drivers since 2018 and they have always worked well.

As far as I can tell, the only packages needed to get it working on this image
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.2/targets/x86/64/openwrt-22.03.2-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined.img.gz
are:
ath10k-firmware-qca988x
kmod-ath10k
wpad-openssl

That works fine with WPA3 with the following config in /etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option macaddr 'RE:DA:CT:ED'
        option band '5g'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option channel '136'
        option country 'REDACTED'
        option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'OpenWrt'
        option key 'REDACTED'
        option encryption 'sae'
        option wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries '1'

Hello Andy,
Thanks a lot for your feedback (sorry for the late reply). I did not get this error message related to the kernel (different hardware versions?). Using the modules as hnws posted the radio was actually working well for days. Unfortunately the system crashed for a different reason some days later and I had to install everything from scratch, but now I'm unable to get the firmware ( ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct-htt) installed (unknown package error), which is pretty odd, since it worked before.