Communication problem with the OpenWrt team

only devs can partecipate to the vote or everybody ?

According to the rules (https://openwrt.org/rules) commit access is the requirement for voting.

1 Like

Perhaps it would make more sense to ask the community first since that's what OpenWrt struggles with and based on the results look at what's viable?

4 Likes

Anyway I really think platform like github or gitlab should NOT be dropped... They make patch review so much easier and organized than mailing list...

2 Likes

Perhaps it would make more sense to ask the community first since that's what OpenWrt struggles

I've decided to kill two birds with one stone instead (cheated, took a shortcut, name it as you wish). I've instead decided to ask developer community, team members, fellow developers, people already using the current tools and let them make the binding decision by actually voting for their favorite. So we get survey and the usable results, which would translate into actual action in one go.

I did so, because I think, that if this established voting mechanism is good enough for other topics, it should be good enough for this decision as well.

On the other hand, I've decided to ask wider community about the new project logo/colors, because they're actual users of this change, they're going to look at it for the next few years :slight_smile: The result and feedback was amazing, so I plan to use this kind of decision help in such suitable topics in the future as well.

BTW evaluation of GitLab as next platform has started around 7/2019, right after the Hamburg 2019 developer meeting, IIRC you were aware about that intention since it was discussed in public since then and you've even suggested to do such survey, but actually done nothing in this regard by yourself. Don't blame me now.

Anyway I really think platform like github or gitlab should NOT be dropped

There is no such option in the voting email, or is there? The question is: What should be our next development platform? I don't see anything about closing GitHub. GitLab.com/openwrt is for evaluation only since the beginning and could be disabled, that's correct. FlySpray is probably going to be exchanged with the issue/ticket feature in the selected platform. Patchwork OR similar mail based alternative is going to remain, this is 99.999999% sure :slight_smile:

It's really about having somehow blessed path/direction, because other planned changes (issue and review bots for example) would mean tighter integration with the selected platform and nobody wants to invest time in the almost "phased out" platform, thus throwing some non-trivial work away.

2 Likes

I've been invited to core dev meetings but I've declined as by the time I had lost interest due multiple reasons. As for GitLab I personally don't see what it solves except for adding more hurdles (although not major ones) for contributing compared to GitHub however I do know there's a rather strong desire for having as much as possible self-hosted so I guess it ticks that box at least. In addition at the time I looked at GitLib it didn't seem to have any support for handling patches via e-mail so there would be one "patch repository" which made it look even less of a reasonable move except just for the sake of it. I'm not totally opposed by the idea but I don't see the benefits making it worthwhile including the administrative time that needs to be allocated.

That said, I'm considering myself as average at best when it comes to git and around amateur level when it comes to reviewing and coding so that may very well impact on my impression and ability to interract with tools.

I personally believe that one of the requirements should be ability to have a unified patch repo/management as it's clearly causing many issues and should be prioritized.

It's a mixed bag. Some things go well, others do not.

Regarding the packages feed, I've been trying to get as many PRs cleaned up and merged. At least get them under 50. It's quite difficult.

Same with the issues there.

1 Like

Are the results on that poll in and if so publicly available? The mailing list implied a voting count last weekend but there appeared two votes later on the mailing-list that do not seemed mapped in https://cryptpad.fr/code/#/2/code/view/PvVBSUc8jbD8gQxcOmfrwudZCA+0eD7Xbp53FrG+5uk/embed/present/

Are the results on that poll in and if so publicly available?

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-adm/2020-February/001316.html

4 Likes