Communicate with device on different vlan/subnet | multicast

I have been trying to fix this problem for a couple of days now, but I can't make it work.

I have 3 VLANs 10, 20, 30
10 on subnet 10.90.10.0/24 (Private)
20 on subnet 10.90.20.0/24 (IOT)
30 on subnet 10.90.30.0/24 (Guest)
In short I want my guests to be able to cast youtube to my media player on lets say ip 10.90.20.10.

I have managed to set a traffic rule to forward that device to the guest network and I can ping it just fine, the problem is that the YouTube app cannot find/see it. I guess it is because it is in another subnet.

Is there a way to make the devices on the guest network to see it?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked a 1000 times before, I have really tried to search everywhere on the internet but I just can't get it to work.

Stellan

Never done this myself but I suspect this will be a multicast discovery issue. Most probably you will have to pass multicast traffic between the subnets. I would searching for more detail on what multicast traffic is required and then find a multicast routing solution to pass that traffic.

Hopefully someone on here will have done the exact same thing and be able to give you specific details

Good luck

2 Likes

For my Chromecast I got it working for someone with Avahi/mDNS to use it between subnets.

2 Likes

I have looked in to it but I can't get it to work :sleepy:
Tried to follow several guides and tips but nothing works.

If I connect to my private network and connect to the media player and then reconnect to my guest network, I can still control the media player but if i disconnect YouTube it wont find it again. That means they can "talk" to each other but not automatically see each other.

A guide which looks promising. Resolving mDNS across VLANs with Avahi on OpenWRT – Just another Linux geek (christophersmart.com)

1 Like