Comfast E130NV2

Hey guys, everything is ok, I recently acquired 2 CPE's to make a point-to-point network on the comfast E130NV2 model farm, when looking for more information about it I found an OpenWRT topic with the firmware customized for it, I've never used OpenWRT and there isn't much on the page information on how to install which makes me afraid of doing something wrong, I wonder if any friend here has already used and installed OpenWRT and if they recommend changing the firmware, I'm looking for more stability and ease of management because the original firmware is a bit confusing

Installation process is here:
https://openwrt.org/toh/comfast/cf-e130n_v2

General information about OpenWrt (quick start guide) -- this should answer lots of your questions:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-start/start

Ask here if you have specific questions that are not answered there. And please feel free to ask before you flash if you have any doubts (note: you must use a device with an etherent connection since OpenWrt has wifi disabled by default).

So there are several steps and SSH-style things that I don't know if I have access to with the original firmware, From what I understand and I ask you to correct me if my equipment is wrong and get the file and flash it via the web interface? Or is there any more advanced configuration to be done after flashing?

I had more doubts because the link has several FIXME Please add the installation procedure here.

There's more information here about the installation process:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=ad84c095028f6ddef95a92e028760cce23d32f6c

Looks like it can be installed directly from the stock firmware's GUI.

One you're running OpenWrt, there are lots of options, depending on your goals. By default, you'll only need to configure the basics, though -- mainly wifi, but possibly your wan configuration details if not DHCP (i.e. PPPoE or static) -- all standard stuff for a new device configuration.

1 Like

Hello, I read the link sent and only the part below causes me doubts. Do I need to upload this TFTP server? If so, where is the documentation and where can I find the firmware file provided, in the first link there is only one file, and about the files linked at the end of the post they are already in the OpenWRt firmware or need to be downloaded I didn't see any link to download them or instructions on how to run them.

The U-boot bootloader also contains a backup TFTP client to upload the
 firmware from. Upon boot, it checks its ethernet network for the IP
 192.168.1.10. Host a TFTP server and provide the image to be flashed as
 file firmware_auto.bin.

MAC address setup:

The art partition contains four consecutive MAC addresses:

0x0    aa:bb:cc:xx:xx:c4
0x6    aa:bb:cc:xx:xx:c6
0x1002 aa:bb:cc:xx:xx:c5
0x5006 aa:bb:cc:xx:xx:c7

However, the manufacturer in its infinite wisdom decided that one address
is enough and both eth0 and WiFi get the MAC address from 0x0 (yes, that's
overwriting the existing and valid address in 0x1002). This is obviously
also the address on the device's label.

Signed-off-by: Pavel Balan <admin@kryma.net>
[fix configs partition, fix IMAGE_SIZE, add MAC address comment, rename
ATH_SOC to SOC]
Signed-off-by: Adrian Schmutzler <freifunk@adrianschmutzler.de>
target/linux/ath79/dts/qca9531_comfast_cf-e130n-v2.dts	[new file with mode: 0644]	blob
target/linux/ath79/generic/base-files/etc/board.d/01_leds		diff | blob | history
target/linux/ath79/generic/base-files/etc/board.d/02_network		diff | blob | history
target/linux/ath79/image/generic.mk		diff | blob | history

Sorry for the amount of questions, my biggest fear is doing this and irreversibly locking the equipment because they came from China and here in Brazil it is very expensive and complicated to achieve this.

Yes log into the stock firmware find "upgrade firmware" and send it the OpenWrt sysupgrade file:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/23.05.3/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-23.05.3-ath79-generic-comfast_cf-e130n-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

There are at least two ways to recover if it bricks: tftp and serial. But it looks like the installation is straightforward and it's unlikely to brick.