Collectd-mod-exec script to retrieve DSL values from ZyXEL VMG1312 modem

No. That would involve creating a dedicated collecd plugin and upstreaming it, which is entirely out of the scope of this exercise, at least for me.

That is not possible, the credentials are needed in plain text to authenticate the telnet connection.

gotcha. no worries.

1 Like

After some time (after all it took another 50+ days to get to the point where I would care to look into it again) and observation, the "AS" value is indeed correctly reporting the line uptime. I switched the script to directly using that value now, without any workarounds and re-parsing. The Gist is updated.

Update: I sacrificed my 55+ day line uptime and confirmed that the "AS" value is properly reset when the line resyncs. I'm happy with this update.

So

ssh -oKexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -c 3des-cbc admin@192.168.10.1

works with open-ssh, and running sh first to start busybox gives a shell that seems to execute xdslctl.
I would not be amazed if the Zyxel actually would be overtaxed with doing ssh, and I do not want to imply ssh should be used instead of netcat; but it might be relevant information for readers of this topic.

1 Like